Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How much do you trust your dwarves?  (Read 10049 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you trust your dwarves?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 08:12:37 am »

... Does that mean what I think it does?

If so... *shudder*. At least save and quit if you're going to do that  :P

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 08:25:56 am »

I'm just going to assume he means what he says there. Some people are into some crazy things.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 08:33:44 am »

...The smaller head, right ?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 09:35:14 am »

<whistles Beethoven's 5th innocently>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 10:28:14 am »

i trust them to have fun if let them out of my view cos thay will build it missing bits, and some one will start a fight(with mod ethics the whole fort truns in to a mass free for all ity why i stoped the partys)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 11:23:36 pm »

I walked away while letting the water cap my magma pipe -- there was a Flame Maiden in there (from Legendary Lands mod -- a sword-wielding flying fireball shooting bitch and a half, way more powerful, curious and vicious than imps or magma men) so after one Maiden-induced death I wasn't frakking around.

She got out anyway (I think I forgot to forbid a door somewhere out of the way, from building the pumps) and torched everything, all of my champion wrestler-armoruser-shieldusers in chain were dead, so I drafted the rest of the fort (about 10) and zergrushed her -- all were dead but two when she finally croaked, and one went melancholy. The last guy I set to making wooden traps (his favorite thing) assigned the barracks to be his room, built a bunch of traps in there, and he pulled through until the migrant wave.

Whew.

I had a bedroom built for him, on top of the magma cap, surrounded by the caskets of his comrades, and when I engraved the floor, I got about 50% images of "unspeakable horror" or some such, a modded-in symbol, this was the symbol of their parent civ... Oy, dwarves.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 11:37:52 pm »

My fort is (hopefully) running itself right now (I'm sure it's paused due to striking alunite again) but I'm just letting it go whenever I can now, in hopes of spending less time sitting and waiting for my masons to make some houses for my workshops and crank out blocks to build the upper levels of my keep.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 02:14:26 am »

When I first started playing DF, I was terrified of what would happen if I wasn't constantly monitoring the game. I would pause whenever I went to do anything, no matter how brief. In my mind, untold calamity would have befallen my fort if I didn't. Zombie elephants would come and stomp everything flat, kobolds would steal the pants off my dwarves, the booze would run dry, or explode, etc etc.
That.

You have to trust them all total, or it'll be no fun.

And then you'll have to set the population cap as they couldn't control the pop' themselves when you don't trust them. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:23 am »

I trust my dwarves to do exactly two things:  1) slack off as SOON as I turn my back, and 2) get themselves killed in hilarious ways offscreen immediately on unpause. 

I micromanage like a goose-stepping Fascisti.  *cracks whip*
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »

I trust the dwarves to do the jobs I tell them to do. When I first started, I couldn't handle more than 7 dwarves because I was always checking to make sure that I had 5 more tasks for them to do when that one was over. If I had to go somewhere else in the fort to watch an other dwarf, I'd pause. I'd pause pretty much whenever I or the game did something. It was... really slow.

My current fort is somewhere between 60 or 70. I still don't leave my game running, but I no longer have to micromanage every dwarf. Mostly I do meta-control now, I have a corp of 20-30 or so haulers who do nothing but  haul and smelt the orc and goblin armor, smelt the natural ore of this place (literally swimming in sphalerite, malachite, magnetite, and platinum; the richest site I've ever seen short of addy), butcher, tan, process plants, and do pretty much any other task that has no skill modifiers. Meanwhile, my 15-20 core dwarves do important tasks like forging furniture, weapons, and armor, making ammo and totems from orc bones, mining out sphalerite and rooms for the nobles, practicing engraving, putting cloth designs in everything in my fort, farming, cooking, brewing, etc. The only time I need to micromanage is when a crisis hits, like running low on food. Combined with my army of 30 soldiers, there's a lot going on that I really don't worry about any more. It's a lot of fun actually.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 06:55:21 pm »

I trust my dwarves for a couple of minutes, usually because they're either exploratorily mining (z0mg, microcline :o!) or waiting out a human siege... they take their time. :-\
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 07:16:25 pm »

When I started, I had to oversee every single minute because there was a lot I didn't understand, but I had read stories about all the horrible things that could go wrong.  I also had some wolf problems early on, so I couldn't trust anyone to go outside.  Now, I have about 50 wolves tamed as a "deterrent," even more wardogs, and a castle megaproject to keep my dwarves occupied for long periods of time, so lately I've been ignoring the game for 10-15 minutes or longer at a time.

I did have one issue where my dwarves suddenly started starving, even though my food stockpiles looked half full - unfortunately, that was all rendered fat, unprocessed plants, and other stuff that couldn't be eaten straight up.  That was a tricky predicament, but I got out of it without any casualties or insanities.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

<whistles Beethoven's 5th innocently>

that and your other joke, are the first references to the clockwork orange i have seen in this whole forum, you are awesome, i also understand the feeling of leaving the game to do some of the in and out and come back to find something interesting, like that for a mistake in my designations the whole goblinball stadium crashed in the heads of the builders....

that said, no i dont trust them, and i never will, however, thats exactly what makes the game so fun, its like playing russian roulette with the lives of 100 small men...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:25 pm »

On reflection, MOST of me playing DF is sitting there watching things happen that I've queued up. They just need supervision in case anything goes wrong, like a gobbo ambush while I'm mass-dumping the clothes of the last siege into the moat under a smokescreen from the dwarven thermonuclear reactor experiment.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 10:36:07 pm »

Can't trust them for 5 seconds.

Made the mistake of putting a point into hunting for my ranger, so guess which job he immediately decides to start doing upon embark even though we've got plenty of food already.

I turned off the hunting labor on him before even unpausing the first time, so I thought it was taken care of, but I guess once they get the idea to hunt they don't stop until they do it.  I'd no sooner started to dig the front door to my new fort when I get the announcement "Urist McDumbass cancels hunt - Unconscious."  Seems he walked right up to a camel without a weapon and got his head stomped in.  AAAAARGH!  I thought I told you NOT to hunt!  Idiot.  Well I'm not sending anyone to collect him.  Serves him right if he dies out there.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4