Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arctic Well Woes  (Read 694 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Arctic Well Woes
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:46:20 am »

So I embarked at a seaside glacier, which thus far has been nothing short of fantastic for my excavation problems (self-destroying stone! GLEE!), but less so for my water problems.

Having learned on the Wiki that wells apparently have a built-in filtration device, I installed one near the seaside as a temporary measure while I constructed my more appropriately dwarfy cistern. However, after constructing the cistern (with no natural tiles), it seems that the wells don't work... my dwarves have been known to crowd around them to the point of starvation and dehydration!

I think the problem might be that the well level is technically in a "freezing" zone, since there are ice walls, while the outdoor one was immune to freezing due to the ocean biome. However, this doesn't hold up since my wounded speardwarf was able to be given water with a bucket carried through a freezing zone.

Do my dwarves just suck at drinking speed/prioritizing, or is there something wrong with my well?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Well Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:05:42 am »

All water on seaside forts is salt water, and undrinkable.  From what I've heard, pumps can desalinate them, but I've never tested this personally, and I'm not really sure how that works.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18:02 am »

What I recommend is to dig into the aquifer and place a well over it, I'm pretty sure that will work. I think that having access to the well at all angles might help if the problem is your dwarves..

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:39:24 am »

All water on seaside forts is salt water, and undrinkable.  From what I've heard, pumps can desalinate them, but I've never tested this personally, and I'm not really sure how that works.

I did desalinate the cistern - the entire interior and walls are constructed blocks, and I used pumps to fill it.

I don't have an aquifer, as far as I know.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:22:33 pm »

I did desalinate the cistern - the entire interior and walls are constructed blocks, and I used pumps to fill it.

As far as I know, most ocean biomes have them.
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:12:54 pm »

All water on seaside forts is salt water, and undrinkable.

Okay, first, this is not technically true.  All water in salt water biomes is undrinkable.  It is possible to have a map with both a fresh water biome and the seaside.  Rare, but possible. (Easier with larger map dimensions.)

That may not be enough - there are some quirks that are only now being unraveled.  The way to confirm is to designate a water zone around it - then use < i > again and see how many water tiles it thinks you have.  If it's drinkable the number will be > 0.

Have you dug any exploratory shafts? If not, time to do so - single shaft of up/down stairs, down to the bottom-most level (which can only be an up-stair).  If/when you hit water, there's your aquifer.  If not - consider yourself lucky  Again, not all seasides have them, and not in all area blocks in a seaside map, but by far most do.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:43:37 pm »

What elevation are you?

I have a fort in a salt water biome where I set up a cistern and desalination pump at z-99(one level above my aquifer which was at z-98), and the water would not be desalinated.  When I made a new cistern that pumped up two z levels to z-100, the water was drinkable. 

I did that because I originally forgot to make constructed walls and floors for the cistern and thought the site had somehow become permanently contaminated, and I wanted to raise the floor of the cistern on top of constructed wall to completely isolate it from natural rock in case that was the problem, but later found mention elsewhere on the forum that the z level makes a difference because ocean/sea level starts at z-100 and mountains at z-400 something
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 03:55:55 pm »

Are the wells listed as active when you 'q' over them?

I'd try rebuilding them if they don't work for some reason, and see if that solves your problem.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 11:46:14 pm »

The way to confirm is to designate a water zone around it - then use < i > again and see how many water tiles it thinks you have.  If it's drinkable the number will be > 0.

Take note: Even with fresh drinkable water, the number will only be greater than 0 if your zone includes (not just borders) at least one tile of floor adjacent to the water, that dwarves could stand on and drink from. If you just make a test zone in the middle of an expanse of water, it will always come up 0.