Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flag small animals for food  (Read 419 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flag small animals for food
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:22:16 pm »

Or at the very least, make dwarves not PREFER vermin.

Please.

PLEASE.

This has probably come up before, yes. But it's extremely aggravating, when I'm attempting to trap fire snakes for liquid fire, that dwarves will dash past the food stockpile which is right next to the dining room, charge to the surface, go past my main animal storage, and race the animal dissector to my fire snake/cave spider/moghopper stockpile to grab the snake that was JUST PUT THERE for a treat.

Either tone down the priorities, or make it so that marking small animals "for slaughter" is necessary to turn them into exotic treats, I beg you.

Same for purring maggots. It's frustrating in the extreme that dwarves seem to prefer economically-useful critters(or, for that matter, aquarium-display fish) vastly to other kinds of food, no matter their food prefs.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Flag small animals for food
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »

I'd be more inclined towards a "DON'T eat this" tag rather than an "eat this" tag.  Just because I think that you'd be more likely to have larger numbers of vermin captured for food than any special purpose.

Animals that are bought from traders should automatically be labeled as "Do not eat".

But whatever the case, yes, something needs to be done to distinguish the two groups.  Rather silly as it is now.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:18 pm »

I'd agree with this, however, I think that this should be added to the kitchen menu. All items should have three tags instead of two - eat, cook, and brew. Captured vermin of each species would be listed, and you could simply mark different species of animal as being available for food or not. This would be useful for other areas, for example a while back there was a guy who had trouble with his poor hauler dwarves buying all his sun berries before he could brew them because they were so cheap. Being able to mark every food good for specific uses would be an excellent addition to that menu.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:48:49 pm »

I'd agree with this, however, I think that this should be added to the kitchen menu. All items should have three tags instead of two - eat, cook, and brew. Captured vermin of each species would be listed, and you could simply mark different species of animal as being available for food or not. This would be useful for other areas, for example a while back there was a guy who had trouble with his poor hauler dwarves buying all his sun berries before he could brew them because they were so cheap. Being able to mark every food good for specific uses would be an excellent addition to that menu.

This. Or a redesign of the Animals screen with similar functionality - an overview, where types of animals can be assigned for slaughtering/eating or processing, at different stages of life so kittens can be Dealt With before they use their mind-control rays on some hapless dwarf(and specific exceptions made so you can, for instance, preserve a breeding pair).

It'd also be nice to see extracts used more. There is, after all, a section in the stockpile already for animal drinks. I've heard of some drinks made from fermented milk, for instance; if extracts are improved such that led animals, rather than only carried vermin, can be used for that, AND there's better control over the vermin, perhaps the extracts themselves can be marked for cooking, eating, brewing, or further processing. Milk, for instance, could be drunk as-is, cooked, made into cheese, or brewed. And perhaps liquid fire could be made into firewater, for instance, or held onto as a trade good.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.