Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress at 0 FPS?  (Read 2169 times)

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress at 0 FPS?
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »

Well, my laptop just died on me, and I have had to dig out an old computer from a cupboard. Anyway, I downloaded DF, and tried to run it. To my surprise, it runs at 0 FPS! Im sure its not my computer, although its quite old, my friends is older and can play it without problems. So, my question to you is, is this a problem I can fix or do I have to wait until my laptop is fixed?
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress at 0 FPS?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:48:50 pm »

Well, you can upgrade to one of the D-whatever versions for an FPS boost, turn off weather and temperature, cage any loose animals, and put a big chunk of restricted space over the entrance to the fort.

The 0FPS is caused by the old computer being unable to run the fort very fast. Hardware's the limit.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:50:24 am »

Do you have 40d16? Should help.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:53:40 pm »

Well, my laptop just died on me, and I have had to dig out an old computer from a cupboard. Anyway, I downloaded DF, and tried to run it. To my surprise, it runs at 0 FPS! Im sure its not my computer, although its quite old, my friends is older and can play it without problems. So, my question to you is, is this a problem I can fix or do I have to wait until my laptop is fixed?

So when is this 0 FPS happening,Worldgen can be waited out, but for ingame try to pick the smallest, flatist terrain.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:54:51 pm »

Partial print will help.

6 FPS with seven dwarves without on my laptop, to 130 FPS.

400FPS ON THE PAUSE SCREEN!!?!?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:19:20 pm »

and put a big chunk of restricted space over the entrance to the fort.

I think you are wrong there, put a high traffic area over the entrance because restricted will cause the dwarfs to try to path around it before taking that route thus eating up more cpu power.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

and put a big chunk of restricted space over the entrance to the fort.
I think you are wrong there, put a high traffic area over the entrance because restricted will cause the dwarfs to try to path around it before taking that route thus eating up more cpu power.

Nope. The restricted space restricts dwarves from pathing outside the safe area of the fort and into the big, wide world. It also has the benefit of stopping them wandering outside quite as much.
It works best if you've walled off the entrance apart from a few tiles of gap lined with walls. It gave me a whole 1FPS boost when I added it, which is almost as good a boost as the 5 from widening the dining hall/meeting zone/food/storage approaches by demolishing a few bedrooms.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »

Pathing costs won't stop them wandering anywhere.

Blocking off the entire entrance with restricted tiles will up the processing time for all paths that must cross the entrance.  The same goes for any other restricted paths.  If you place restricted tiles on a commonly used path, it will increase processing time (generally, the higher the cost, the more time it takes).  If you place restricted tiles on a rarely used path, it will decrease processing time.  For the latter, gains are dependent on many other factors.

The opposite is true for placing high traffic (low cost) tiles.  Put them in commonly used areas to improve search times.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.