Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just a few questions  (Read 1132 times)

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just a few questions
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:28:53 pm »

I'm new here and was wandering about a couple of things:
1). How do you take animals out of cages?
2). One 2 of my dwarfs died from thirst but i had been brewing and making barrels so what else would cause this?

That's all for now and thanks in advance  :) 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:04:39 am by Kiwi »
The Dread Pirate

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:35:50 pm »

1) Build the cage, then hit 'q', go over the built cage, and unassign the animal. It'll be let out. Note that when building the cage, you can hit 'x' so that you can select the proper cage.

2) The dwarf was probably wounded and resting. Injured dwarves only drink water.

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:18:24 pm »

few more for ya:
1. When you have goblins in cages, what do you do with them/dispose of them with?
2. i can't assign a Bookkeeper, how might a make that option available
The Dread Pirate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 06:23:14 pm »

1. Whatever you want to. I, for preference, hurl them into magma or have my dwarves beat ten kinds of crap out of them, but whatever floats your boat.
2. You automatically get a bookkeeper. I think (don't quote me on this) that you can replace them once they've died.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 06:24:23 pm »

(Consider yourself as corrected as you are wrong)  ;)

Book keeper needs 3 things:

1) In the <n>obles screen, <r>eplace the new dwarf into the position.

2) An "office" - this is just a chair (usually one in the dining hall) that is made into a 1-tile big <r>oom (via <q>), then <a>ssigned to that dwarf personally. No other dwarf will sit there.  (You might want to make sure that chair has a table.)

3) less important, but in <n>obles/< s >ettings, to increase the level of accuracy above where it is now (default low, 1 significant figure.) Level 2-3 is good for a starting fortress, as only stones will have over 99 total.  Doesn't matter if you have a bk if he isn't improving anything.

Re gobbos in cages:
Some sort of arena is usually a good option.  Either for sport or training.  If you <d>ump all their weapons, you can train no-skill wrestlers on them - loads of fun, and relatively safe.

Edit - see wiki:"Arena", surf links.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:01:23 pm by Albedo »

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 06:36:06 pm »

1. there are many ways to deal with caged creatures. I find the most benifitial is to use them to train your military dwarves on. Especially with marks dwarves. remember to dump the goblins of their gear regardless of whatever you decide to do with them. You dump with d>b>d and selecting the cage the goblin is in. then just after that, you use the k menu on the cage to deselect it for dumping. if you have a dump area nearby your idle dwarves number should hit rock bottom as they pull every piece of clothing off of hte poor sod's back and haul it to the dump. You can later reclaim this stuff with d>b>c on your dump spot. this is perfectly safe, and highly suggested before you pit your dwaves against them.

my killing pit. (this is specifically for marksdwarves)

Code: [Select]
z0

WWWWWWWW
+BBBBBBW
+BBBBBBW
+BBBBBBW
+BBBBBBW
WBBBBBBW
DRBBBBBW
WBBBBBBW
WWWWWWWW

z-1

WWWWWWWW
W++++++W
W++++++W
W++++++W
W++++++W
W++++++W
WR+++++W
W++++++W
WWWWWWWW

W = Wall
+ = Floor
R = Ramp (for access to the pit
D = Door (you forbid this when you have goblins, or will have goblins in the pit)
B = Retracting Bridge. There should only be one bridge constructed and it should cover the pit.

Offscreen (a control center or a sideroom for extra safety) you will want to link up a lever to the bridge to allow you to control wether its solid or not.
You can then use the I menu to designate the area as a pit to allow you to dump your critters into.
Keep in mind that some creatures will struggle and escape, primarily thieves,
 but typically they will try to run rather than fight, keep your military dwarves handy for such a situation.

2. there is a nobles menue (I think its "n") that should tell who your current bookeeper is, and allow you to fill/replace them. If your bookkeeper just recently died, give it a season or so. I had my mayor commit suicide (IE ran head first into a goblin siege) and it wouldn't let me replace him for a bit.

Also, when your bookeeper hits ledgendary bookeeper skill you might want to swap him out with another dwarf for training purposes.

edit: updated about dumping, and made the code more reader friendly
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:43:09 pm by SquirrelWizard »
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:59:20 pm »

If your bookkeeper just recently died, give it a season or so. I had my mayor commit suicide (IE ran head first into a goblin siege) and it wouldn't let me replace him for a bit.

It's known that you can't immediately replace an Expedition Leader/Mayor, but I've never heard a problem w/ the bookkeeper.  Maybe if it was the same dwarf??  Dunno, never had a bookkeeper die on me.

Kiwi - if you find this is so, let us know.

SW's comment about rotating bookkeepers should be noted - BK's get experience fast, so it's a good way to get some attributes on your dwarfs, even (especially!) if they're just going to be haulers.  Agility and Strength to buck those granite lazy-boy recliners up all those stairs!

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 02:32:11 am »

2). One 2 of my dwarfs died from thirst but i had been brewing and making barrels so what else would cause this?

Besides injury and no access to water, a dwarf stricken by melancholy (commonly after a failed strange mood) will stop eating and drinking and may die of thirst if they don't find a way to commit suicide.

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 06:06:19 am »

Besides injury and no access to water, a dwarf stricken by melancholy (commonly after a failed strange mood) will stop eating and drinking and may die of thirst if they don't find a way to commit suicide.
OK, that is what i was looking for i really thought i was having resource problems but yeah both of them went to strange mood then went stark raving mad then insane or whatever, thx
The Dread Pirate

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 06:18:02 am »

Yup, forgot about the raving ones. They won't try to drown or jump, but they stop eating and drinking as well. And strip naked as they run around babbling. Welcome to the wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress. :)

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

I decided to just use this thread for this because might as well not make a new one
this one is for Adventure mode
K, i killed this goat for the idea that maybe i could get some meat or food of some sorts from it
so when i went to eat it i .....licked it?......
So my question is how would one if possible eat the animal corpse or at least get edible things out of it?
cause i died of hunger before getting anything done really :P
Edit: And is there certain rivers i can't cross? i try but i just stand there
and thx again this game is truly amazing
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:09:49 pm by Kiwi »
The Dread Pirate

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 10:16:42 pm »

1) Magma.
2) Magma.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 11:37:35 pm »

You have to swim to cross rivers. ALT-direction, if I remember correctly (WARNING: If you have no swimming skill, you will be unable to exit the water and drown!)

You cannot eat corpses unfortunately.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:21:46 am »

There are brooks, and there are rivers.  Brooks have a sort of "surface" on them - you have to dig into them to tap water.  Rivers will, indeed, drown you. But they look the same.

Put <k> over it and see.

Read wiki: "brook" and "river".  (Also "swim", if you insist.)

Best bet is to build a quick bridge over it. A few tiles, you're there. A trap and other creatures can't use it (without suffering).

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 02:29:27 am »

brooks are a lighter blue.
Pages: [1] 2