Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrating nobles  (Read 660 times)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigrating nobles
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »

Alright, so I know a lot of people like kings and such but I just really wanted one. I even made a luxurious abode for him.

Unfortunately, he isn't coming. I have all the requirements filled, over 10000 architecture, road value accepted, offers good, all that jazz. I waited until summer or whenver the migrants come and I got 20 migrants. But no King. Do I have to wait ANOTHER year for him to arrive? Or am I missing something?

I also am wondering about the Dungeon Master. My embark site has no special features and I've even checked that with reveal, but he still hasn't arrived. I have 173 dwarves. I'm a duchy. I need his talents!!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Immigrating nobles
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:57:54 pm »

You might have to wait a few years for the King to arrive. I seem to recall my last fort took either 2 or 3 years before he showed up.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »

Your created wealth may have something to do with it. Another thing I've noticed is that if you create literally no weapons and armour, nobles and the like seem to put off appearing. Then I decorate some goblin armour and weapon and they swarm in all at once, often with the head noble jumping up a rank or two on arrival. Completely anecdotal and I've got no corroborating evidence, but if you've got one area of created wealth that's lagging behind dreadfully, try pumping it up a bit.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »

Well, weapons is only at 13000. I guess I could use some of my precious metal to make some weaponries.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:45:23 pm »

I think wooden or bone crossbows should work, too. Just cook up some dwarven syrup roasts and buy some metal crafts from the caravans to melt if you're low on metal.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:29:37 am »

I seem to recall reading something on the wiki about certain nobles showing up when a certain number of certain jobs had been done in your fortress.

Wow, that's pretty vague.

It was something like x metalcrafting, y weaponsmithing, z armorsmithing, etc.  So if you've never done any decorating with your metal, or haven't made anything like hatches or grates or the like out of metal, or even some copper toys, you might try that sort of thing?

Ditto if there are any industries you haven't started up yet (except glass, since that's the one not every fortress CAN have).
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:08:40 pm »

Also, the Dungeon Master will only turn up if your site DOES have special features (or if you've captured something with the [PET_EXOTIC] tag, like a dragon, I think). So if you have no features and you don't catch any dragons, he won't show.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin