Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Regarding evil Biomes  (Read 1525 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Regarding evil Biomes
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:47:07 pm »

Well, this is my first post on the forum, and I only have internet on my cell phone, so I will try to keep this short. Kay, like I want to settle a fort in a zombified dead area, but every time I try to settle in an evil, haunted or sinister area, its just a normal looking place with normal creatures. Is there anyway to make my chances of what I want more accurate, or is it complete luck?
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Regarding evil Biomes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:52:09 pm »

It's luck, though I think that the more terrifying it is the better chance you have of zombies/undead, but I am probably wrong on that one.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:31:07 pm »

Ah, thanks. I'll give that a try next.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:38 pm »

Once in a while I hear that (in regions that aren't deserts, mountains, or water features) red/grey areas tend to have undead, while purple areas tend to have evil beasties like harpies and dark gnomes.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:15:36 pm »

If you up the evil regions in when you gen to make a world thats 50% or more evil, you're almost always gaurnteed evil/undead creatures.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »

That and go for Terrifying surroundings.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »

I found a partly dead area on my world with skeletal groundhogs. I'm avoiding them at the moment. I settled on an undead beach once but was murdered by a skeletal make shark. So yeah. I think I've got what I wanted. Though, whenever I edit the gen thing for lots of evil regions, it just endlessly rejects them.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:57 pm »

I found a partly dead area on my world with skeletal groundhogs. I'm avoiding them at the moment. I settled on an undead beach once but was murdered by a skeletal make shark. So yeah. I think I've got what I wanted. Though, whenever I edit the gen thing for lots of evil regions, it just endlessly rejects them.
After a while it will stop rejecting them and pop something up telling you that it can't do this or that because of something you've changed, if you want to gen the world no matter what, you can just hit 'p' at this screen and the next world it makes will gen no matter what.
The time it takes for this to happen varies for the size of the world, I think it's around 1000 attempts for a 'large' sized world

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:37:40 pm »

Hm. Im gonna give that a try. It wont interfere with the game will it? Like being too evil in which nothing lives?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:24 am »

Well, you need to have a good mix, the more docile races(Dwarves, Elves, Humans) will not settle in evil areas.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:17:47 am »

Yeah. I figured. The world was made with the higest evil settings. So.. Theres nineteen goblin races and thats it. I'll test the generater a few times to figure it out. But first Im gonna play as a human adventurer in a world of complete evil. The only human. O:

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:38:28 am »

Let me look around, I've got the params for a mostly evil world here somewhere... it'll create w/o the rejects.. tho elves tend to die out early.

Edit: Reposting from my post in the Worldgen cookbook..

Here's the params  I use normaly, its roughly 90% evil.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note there will be no evles on this.
If you want elves change this:
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:10000:25000:50000]
to this:
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:5000:10000:25000]

It creates a world thats about half evil. This increases the chances of there being elves.

For a medium sized world I thnk all the params need to be dropped in half or something close to avoid endless rejects.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:42:18 am by Tcei »
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 12:50:11 am »

Well thanks! I'll copy all of that when I have time. On my phone, so Its gonna take a while. This human adventure is fun. I've been spending my time running from zombies, naked in a forest. This would make good story material.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 09:22:32 pm »

In my experience, Terrifying tends to yield monsters (ogres, harpies, werewolves). Sinister usually has undead. Haunted are generally kind of boring, though they can sometimes have interesting things in them. I don't think I've ever seen both undead and monsters, though I could be wrong.

There are always exceptions, of course. As a side note, if you want to deal with lots of zombies be sure to settle in an evil biome that naturally has a lot of wild animals, if there's nothing to zombify you won't see any undead.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 10:39:11 pm »

Once when I embarked on a haunted region, all the creatures were "normal."
By the time a year had past, all of them had been replaced by undead counterparts.

Same thing happened to my brother... So I think that it just takes a while for the wildlife to be "corrupted" by the biome.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: [1] 2