Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Osmlo Ospaz [Pen and Paper played in Maptool]  (Read 2982 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Osmlo Ospaz [Pen and Paper played in Maptool]
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:12:16 pm »

I've created a ruleset based loosely on the rules of Dwarf Fortress. I'm also going to be creating a campaign played in Maptool to give them a run.
The Campaign is copper age technology. More Details can be found at The Tangled Webs message Board

I know that some people have made some GURPs rules system for this game, but that's not accessible for free, so that is why I made my own. It needs lots of work, I'd like to improve it until it really "feels" like dwarf fortress.

Rule System:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't have good to hit location tables yet. What I am doing is allowing aiming in a size of the character divided by their weapon skill area. So a 4' tall dwarf with no skill hits randomly in a 4' space. Then I break it into High, low, and middle. I do a D5 and have 1 or 5 move up or down in the body. I keep narrowing it down until the area that is hit is determined. It is crude, but it works for now.

I plan to refine the rules as they are played. If anyone wants to join in, let me know. Also if anyone tries to use the rules and has suggestions for improvement, let me know.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Osmlo Ospaz [Pen and Paper played in Maptool]
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:51:55 am »

Sounds complicated, but may as well give it a shot, sign me up, I aspire to a necromantic bonecarver/bowmaker/trapmaker
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:58:32 am »

My campaign is in the Copper age, so crossbows haven't been invented. Furthermore, Lamesobok dwarves use Slings rather than Bows. So no Bowmaking.
Bonecarver and Trapmaker are fine. Don't see any problems with necromancer either. We'll have to get together to work out the spells you have. Think of what you want the spells to do, and be willing to describe them. I'll make adjustments as nessessary. No taboos currently exist in Lamesobok against Necromancy, so you should be alright for open practice. I am assuming you are a Dwarf, since obviously the elves would have problems with playing with their food.

Are you familiar with the use of Maptool?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:50:36 pm »

it sounds hard but sign me in

i will figure it out fast but not now maybe tommorow

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:58:19 pm »

i will be a   Ratman /Herbalist/Cook/Brewer

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »

Sessions are on Fridays at 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM MST so you got plenty of time to figure it out.

I'll have to consider the Ratman. I've been restricting players to Humans, Elves, and Dwarves. It'd be hard to justify a Ratman walking around. It might take a session or two to introduce a Ratman in a manner that it wouldn't be killed instantly... But then again that is true for any Non-Dwarf right now anyway. Three dwarves is a lot of potential madness. Ratman Herbalist/Cook/Brewer it is.

I'll PM you with some base Campaign details so you can make a background and tell me how you want your introduction to go.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »

I have no idea what maptool is, but am going to look at your link, and could you please post your time so I can compare it?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:47 pm »

At the time of my posting it is 7:42 PM Mountain Standard Time, give or take a few minutes.
Maptool is what is called a "Virtual Table Top". It is basically a program that allows you to connect to other players. It has areas for communication and an image manipulation area that people can move and place images on. It also has commands you can enter to give you a random number. (1d6, 18d5947813. It's pretty limitless)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »

I'd like to be a dwarven armorsmith in training, if I can still join up.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 12:40:12 am »

Yes you can.
Note that the campaign is set in a copper age, so there isn't really metal armor. As such, you are just going to be a Metalsmith. The dwarves do have a kind of a metal helmet, but it is more of a hardhat and has a great deal of wood in it as well.

So here's what I've got.
Jetsquirrel as a Ratman Herbalist/Cook/Brewer
64bitrobot(From rpgloop.net) as an Unknown entity
sonerohi as a Dwarven Apprintice Metalsmith (Only kind of armor there is)
RAM as a Necromantic bonecarver/trapmaker/Leatherworker (The Lamesobok dwarves use leather slings, not bows)
TheTallestDwarf(From thetangledweb.net) as a dwarf Engineer of sorts
Esgar(From thetangledweb.net) as a dwarf Animal Handler of sorts

Of course these things are all subject to change by the players when they actually create a character instead of telling me generally what they are going to do.

So, the first game will likely consist of character creation. If you aren't familiar with it yet (because you didn't follow the links) here's the information for the campaign world from the Dwarf's side.

How I view Dwarves:

Lamesobok Specifics

Industry and Erratica

Deities:

Bearded or Un-bearded?

Items

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 02:04:51 am »

I can certainly try to make that time.
I think my character would want Zukthist Fenokulol as their god, the 'brief respite from imminent doom' thing sounds fitting.
Spoiler: thoughts on necromancy (click to show/hide)

Maptool seems to work, I think that I managed to get a list of available servers which should be enough of a test. Although a bit of familiarising would probably be a good idea... I only have 512 mb of ram though, would that be a problem?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:22:18 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:34:17 am »

I'll make sure we use little space.

The magic is based on Threetoe's stories, which means haphazard and unique to individuals and teaching methods.

As such, I see no problem with your view of how Necromancy works for you.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 04:06:52 am »

Oooops, mispost.

I get a little confused over timezones, so to confirm it is due in 2 days 15 hours and a little over 53 minutes from the time of this post.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:27:56 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:43 am »

Your post is shown as Today at 03:06:52 AM
Your Edit is shown as Today at 03:27:56 AM

Today is Wednesday. In two days it is Friday. 15 Hours and 53 Minites would be 6:59:52 PM according to your first post, and 7:26:56 PM according to your edit.

So yes, with 8 seconds to spare to the post time, no to the edit time.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 06:28:03 pm »

Which version of maptool will you be using and what will the server's name/password be?
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2