Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Happy fun stuff.  (Read 3434 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Happy fun stuff.
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 09:01:07 pm »

Dress the bears in HFS metal chains.  Just for how awesome it would be.

And most items (note:  the things that show up on the stock menu) don't seem to melt or even ignite just from having a hot creature near them - not instantly, at least.  If they move around enough and you're quick, you might be able to do something regarding traps and HFS.  Even if it's only upright spike traps.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 09:04:24 pm »

The only traps that would work on SoF would be upright spikes, and you'd probably have to make both the spikes and the mechanisms from (raw) adamantine (since both steel and bauxite would otherwise melt) - for the others, a large cloud of cave-in dust will serve to knock them into any trap, including cages.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 02:38:09 am »

Alternatively, I've heard of wooden supports with a floor above them will burn and cause a cave-in, chrushing whatever was under it(Which is the SoF).

I haven't seen it in action, but it might be worth trying, just a piece of wood and some rock for a floor seems really cheap for something that kills things that strong.

Besides that, if they get cave-in dusted into a cage trap with light blue cage, will they burn everything around them? If so, it's like an everlasting lignite bin.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 09:20:53 am »

First time I tapped into HFS I got cooked. The second time I made a line of marksdwarves but they also got cooked. The third time I used a line of marksdwarves plus a champion hammer dwarf covered in adamantine plate armor. They got cooked, but only after a bunch of SoF were smacked across the room against the opposite wall.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 12:20:33 pm »

I just breached HFS for the first time yesterday, and it was epic, but not as much of a challenge as I was expecting.  Maybe next time I'll meet more challenging &s.  I had 15 elite speardwarves and a miner sealed into the access room (sealed in by a flooded room, which actually wouldn't protect my fort against swimming demons).  The miner breached HFS, and a single & (no type) spawned next to him.  I left him for dead and ordered my army to charge in, but they were not needed: my miner, with no wrestling skill and a copper pick, beat the & to death, and came out of it with a mangled hand.  He died soon after when 12 more & (including purple) spawned, but he was given a special burial place at the fort's entrance.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 12:25:04 pm »

He died soon after when 12 more & (including purple) spawned, but he was given a special burial place at the fort's entrance.

Wait, your HFS had multiple types of & in it? From my experience, they only ever contain one red & and a varying quantity (20-30) of green, purple, or yellow &s. Also, they all spawn immediately and are merely hidden (i.e. ambush mode).

Worldgen and embark info would be nice (and a save file would be even nicer), so that info on the wiki may possibly be corrected.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:27:39 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 01:06:04 pm »

At this point, they're all dead, and I think their corpses only give their names, not their type.  The delay between the first & and the rest was small enough that they could easily have been in ambush mode.  And the battle was really hectic (with multiple dwarves, &s, and the other creatures in every square), so it's possible that all the &s after the first could have been purple.

At the end of the day, I will backup the fort, abandon, and check legends to see if the & type is listed, then report back.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 01:08:42 pm »

Even simpler, just view the (u)nits list - they'll all be in there, and they'll be appropriately color-coded.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 09:45:50 pm »

Sorry, they were all purple.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 09:48:40 pm »

I've hit the funhouse many times, but I only ever get the purple ones, myself.  Not that it matters anyway, since I usually use the collapsing method.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 10:03:07 pm »

I've hit the funhouse many times, but I only ever get the purple ones, myself.  Not that it matters anyway, since I usually use the collapsing method.

I knew about that method, but it's way too cheap and overpowered in my opinion.  If I have a giant military and have been complaining about how goblins are too easy, I ought to use my army when I find &s

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »

Theoretically, could you locate the HFS, seal it back up real quick (construct so that they can't break out till you're good and ready), then have them as an emergency plan? Like "MASSIVE GOBLIN SIEGE! RAISE THE BRIDGE! RELEASE THE THINGS!"
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:59:42 pm »

&s aren't able to destroy anything built with B C, such as walls, floors, and fortifications, as far as I know, so that could be done.  However, those normally require a dwarf to deconstruct, so you'd want to have a lever which creates a cave-in that releases them.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 05:01:54 pm »

The real question is would they actually go for the goblins or just sit outside doing nothing? so now you have an epic mordor worthy army of &'s and Goblins?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 05:03:54 pm »

They would not sit around doing nothing.  They charge any building they could path to and destroy it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]