Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Happy fun stuff.  (Read 3439 times)

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Happy fun stuff.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 10:06:44 pm »

Pump the magma so that it'll push & into water?

Or are they practically invulnerable except by conventional killing?

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 11:04:11 pm »

Pump the magma so that it'll push & into water?

Or are they practically invulnerable except by conventional killing?

Even conventional killing won't help you.  Maybe if you had a firing squad of 100 legendary crossbow dwarves, with an unlimited supply of bolts, and a a complex labyrinth filled with repeating spikes, atom crushers, GCS, orcs, tamed magma men, and a couple dwarf guards from 10 caravans, then maybe you have a chance.  See it this way, not even Ironblood and Morul combined could take them out.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 11:21:22 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that doesn't work with SoF due to them being [NOSTUN] (as well as [NOPAIN] and [NOBREATHE]).
Not to mention the tests involving this showed that the yellow ones melt bauxite mechanisims.

Don't mess around with the yellow ones. Just dump the fortress on 'em.

Edit: I don't mean recruit everybody and throw them at the miniature suns, I mean literally cave the fortress in on top of them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 11:28:23 pm »

&

IIRC, it's more like: &
Remember folks, the purple stands for tentacle grape.

I'm curious how Toady plans to deal with cave-ins, since it's a very effective tactic..

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 11:47:48 pm »

Make it so that HFS is immune from cave-ins, and once released, can burrow through cave walls.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:03 pm »

Even conventional killing won't help you.  Maybe if you had a firing squad of 100 legendary crossbow dwarves, with an unlimited supply of bolts, and a a complex labyrinth filled with repeating spikes, atom crushers, GCS, orcs, tamed magma men, and a couple dwarf guards from 10 caravans, then maybe you have a chance.  See it this way, not even Ironblood and Morul combined could take them out.

You're grossly overestimating their power - in my current fort, I pierced the HFS chamber from the side with 7 champion marksdwarves (each with several reloads worth of exceptional/masterwork bolts) and 12 chained war dogs (to reveal them) standing ready. All 30 SoFs were gunned down before they ever reached melee range, and the demon leader got incinerated by some burning charcoal (ignited as the SoFs walked through). 8 war dogs burned to death and one other was maimed, but the other 3 dogs were uninjured and the champions took no damage whatsoever. Hell, one of them decided to take a nap while the others were fighting.

It's only in melee range that SoFs get nasty, since they burn everything to a crisp. From a short distance away, all you have to worry about is their fireballs and fire breath, and chained animals do a great job of soaking those up.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 12:04:40 am »

I am not over estimating the strength of SoF, just telling the most dwarfly way of dealing with SoF, besides rushing them with 200 legendary wrestlers.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 10:32:00 am »

Do ballistae work on them? Surely they aren't capable of melting the ammo midflight are they?

I'm curious how Toady plans to deal with cave-ins, since it's a very effective tactic..

Maybe he'll just implement realistic melting temperatures for natural/constructed walls, so that they can turn anything less than adamantine into magma.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 11:24:00 am »

Ballistas work, if they could melt ammo mid-flight then even a marksdwarf would have a problem.

As it is now, it seems ammo in flight is not effected by the world around it, until it bumps into a target or a wall.

If you're lazy, make catapults and use those instead of the ballista, it's usually a long walk to get the wood for the arrows all the way down there, and rocks are everywhere.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 12:46:08 pm »

My first encounter with HFS was with the yellow ones that I released from the bottom of the map, so I never even got any adamantium (I always dig too deep.) Of course they killed my fort but I was able to pretty much zerg them to death with a reclaim. Got many legendary-named marksdwarves that day.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »

Ballistas work, if they could melt ammo mid-flight then even a marksdwarf would have a problem.

As it is now, it seems ammo in flight is not effected by the world around it, until it bumps into a target or a wall.

If you're lazy, make catapults and use those instead of the ballista, it's usually a long walk to get the wood for the arrows all the way down there, and rocks are everywhere.

If I remember correctly, bolts shot my marksdwarves instantly hit their target, and the bolt path you see is just a special effect.  At least in adventure mode, if a bolt is fired, it will hit the target before anyone gets a chance to move, this has been tested to see if a speed 0 dwarf could dodge bolts in adventure mode.  If this is true, then it works similar to cave ends, where it hits the end then updates it's location.  I have never used ballistas before, but from what I remember of heat transfer from creatures, heat doesn't affect the areas around the creature unless they are wrestling, it just affects the tile they are standing on.  Because of this, only water in the tile they are standing in will evaporate.

Also, an easy way to kill SoF is to find freezing water or embark on a glacier.  They will walk across the ice, melt it, fall down, and then the ice will refreeze.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:11 am »

Heat doesn't affect the areas around the creature unless they are wrestling, it just affects the tile they are standing on.  Because of this, only water in the tile they are standing in will evaporate.
As far as I know that's not right. Someone tested playing as an SoF and trees and people near the SoF started burning. They also went into the ocean as an SoF and gained massive lag because of all the water evaporating around the SoF.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 09:35:17 am »

As far as I know that's not right. Someone tested playing as an SoF and trees and people near the SoF started burning. They also went into the ocean as an SoF and gained massive lag because of all the water evaporating around the SoF.

Well this is just from my observations in adventure mode.  I modded a dwarf to have an extremely high heat, and when I was ambushed by wolves even though I was extremely hot, none of the wolves seemed to get set on fire or even suffer temperature wounds.  It has also been stated somewhere that wrestling a creature is the best way to set that creature on fire through heat transfer, that was even the way that Toady tested heat damage with magma-men:
Quote from: Toady
played as a magma man (grabbed somebody by the head with both of my hands and waited for his cloth cap and face to catch on fire, which worked, though it needs a little work, since his brain was never heated)

Also when playing in adventure mode, I noticed that when I jumped into the ocean, only the tile I was on seemed to really get heated up.  For example, when walking, only the grass tile I was standing on got set on fire and when in water it seemed that only the tile I was on completely evaporated, meaning that while everywhere else around my had water, only the tile I was siting on in the river was dry and once I moved to another tile, the spot I was last will fill up with water and the spot I moved to will evaporate.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:38 pm »

Not to mention the tests involving this showed that the yellow ones melt bauxite mechanisims.

You crazy kids never seem to remember that you can build mechanisms from a certain supermetal.  The Manager doesn't have a clue how to give the order, but you can manually queue them up at the metalsmith's workshop.  I think it's under Other or whatever rather than Furniture.

Be aware, however, that I think the creatures in question can melt said metal, since AFAIK their fixed temp is equal to its boiling point.  They might have to physically hold it for a while to melt it, though.  I'm pretty sure temperature transfer is greatly reduced if the objects do not touch (same tile does not equal physical contact), as it should be.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:03 pm »

I am not over estimating the strength of SoF, just telling the most dwarfly way of dealing with SoF, besides rushing them with 200 legendary wrestlers.

Wrong.

The most dwarfly way of dealing with SoFs is with Bears. In terms of how many problems Bears can solve, they're second only to magma (which, incidentally, doesn't solve SoF).

I've been trying to think of a good way to utilize my invasive species breeding program, and I was struck by a fey mood after accidentally striking the HFS. Details when I finish the HFS entrance and release mechanism.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3