Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hurstwic - Viking Mecca  (Read 1931 times)

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
Hurstwic - Viking Mecca
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:18:46 am »

Just found this site while a doing bit o research, and practically had a nerdgasm. There's tons of stuff here on norse viking-era culture. Anyway, it's very enjoyable reading, and I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else was interested.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/text/history.htm

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Hurstwic - Viking Mecca
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:03:22 am »

This is pretty cool, but it really belongs in General Discussion.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:11:28 am »

I... OH GOD WHERE AM I???

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:23:55 am by The Navigator »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:28:17 am »

TN: Wow. Cool site, thanks!
Vester: Hello! :) What?..
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:02 am »

It was in DF General Discussion initially. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:56:50 am »

Ahm... Mecca?

Dur dur dur, YOU mocked US?

The Holy Land of Hijaz is not for disbelievers! And it was us who kill the vikings! (Related to Lord InaWarMinister's attack on the Norwegian soil using a fleet of Granadan Corvettes.)

Still, cool site! And I love these people (read: Vinland Saga. EPIC. EPICNESS. CELTS VERSUS SAXONS VERSUS VIKINGS)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:23 am »

Oh god, I've never noticed there was a Finally...->General Discussion subforum! Doh...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 07:40:25 am »

As cool as vikings were, I'd like to find a site that's got history on some other warrior cultures. Especially the southeast asian ones. Anyone's who's willing to charge against cannon and musket fire with only a dagger and some silk is damn hardcore.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:56:17 am »

Meh, charging is nothing. Try standing in open in a neat formation while the enemy blasts you with muskets and artillery. Napoleon era soldiers were completely insane.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:11:14 am »

It couldn't be worse then being in the trenches, or even more terrible, the Russian army during WW2.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:12:39 am »

Any soldier in a SparkGear that I've played in.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:17:16 am »

They're up against Orcs and undead wyverns. They couldn't be anything else but completely insane.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 12:18:33 pm »

There is not a single civilization that has ever existed that is more dwarven than the Vikings. The site says that they were mocked for being beardless.  :P

EDIT:

It is likely that all men had facial hair. The stories say that men who were unable to grow a beard were mocked. For example, Brennu-Njáls saga tells the story of Njáll Þorgeirsson, who was beardless. Chapter 20 says that he was married, with six children, and that he was wealthy and handsome, but that he had a peculiarity: he could not grow a beard. In chapter 44, Hallgerðr asked some gossiping beggarwomen what was going on at Njál's farm at Bergþórshváll. The women said that Njál's sons were preparing for battle, and his farmhands were spreading manure on the hayfield to fertilize it. Hallgerðr wondered why they didn't spread it on Njál's chin, so his beard would grow. She gave Njáll the name "Old Beardless", and his sons "Little-Dungbeards". Sigmundr composed scandalous poetry using the new names.  Njál's son, Skarpheðinn, repaid Sigmundr for the verses by driving his axe through Sigmund's shoulder, forcing him to his knees, and then by splitting Sigmund's head with his next blow.

Also this.  ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »

Holy Armok. This site is awesome.
I spent the past 45 minutes reading about armor and weapons.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 05:22:05 pm »

As cool as vikings were, I'd like to find a site that's got history on some other warrior cultures. Especially the southeast asian ones. Anyone's who's willing to charge against cannon and musket fire with only a dagger and some silk is damn hardcore.

Hmm... not entirely certain what you were looking for in specific, but I found these on samurai and a bit of mongol history:

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.coldsiberia.org/webdoc3.htm

Also, this site is a pretty good place to find articles on various civs. (scroll down a bit to ancient civilizations)

And more norse stuff! http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/resume/worksamples/NorseDrinkingTraditions.pdf

Pages: [1] 2