Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utility for mechanical testing?  (Read 1594 times)

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utility for mechanical testing?
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:50:34 am »

I have a couple of intricate super-construction projects in mind, which will require an immense amount of mechanical bits and water. I've not spent a lot of time playing with pressure plates and flood gates, and I don't want to wait for my dwarfs to build a massive project, with all the required pieces and inevitable distractions of goblins, trade, strange moods, and drinking. I especially don't want to wait through all that if the end result is faulty.

Is there a utility I can use to set up constructions, edit and test them, and make sure they work, all without having any dwarfs around? Due to the nature of the project, the last stage of testing will pretty much require full-on fortress mode, as well as (I suspect) weeks or possibly months worth of tweaking, but the fundamentals of the device should be workable as long as I have all four dimensions to work in.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Utility for mechanical testing?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:53:24 am »

You can't do it without dwarves. But you can do it with superdwarfs.

[NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP][SPEED:1]

And make it. Also you can make a smelter reaction to spew out the parts you need in great numbers,
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:55:46 am »

Whoa, OK.

Uh, I've not been editing anything. So Smelter reactions... Uh. Right. Off to the wiki with me.

But because I think this part will be easier to ask here, where do I find the file for my dorfs?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 03:49:34 am »

Also, you can turn off moods, invasions in INIT.

Creature_standard is the raw file.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:16:57 am »

Awesome! Thanks muchly.

EDIT: OK, I see the invaders thing. Do I just make a new prefstring for the moods?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:21:59 am by HastyLumbago »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:12 am »

Awesome! Thanks muchly.

EDIT: OK, I see the invaders thing. Do I just make a new prefstring for the moods?

In init: Turn off Artifact.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:10:18 am »

Oh! Yeah I did that. I thought you meant I could make the dwarfs not get all emotional and sob all over each other and throw themselves off of things and basically be little emotionless robots.

You know, Like I always kind of want them to be when I'm actually playing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 05:16:40 am »

[NOEMOTION]
I am not sure if it blocks tantrums, but it surely blocks a rage.

Also in case you don't know:
1) This should go to a modding forum, but because you're already here, ask any questions you need about changing your raws, I will answer.
2) http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens in case you need to find something else quickly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:31:46 pm »

[NOEMOTION]
I am not sure if it blocks tantrums, but it surely blocks a rage.

1) This should go to a modding forum, but because you're already here, ask any questions you need about changing your raws, I will answer.
2) http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens in case you need to find something else quickly.
It blocks tantrums because they're always quite content.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 06:54:46 pm »

My current megaproject is built my superdwarvenly dwarves.  I.E. [SPEED:10] and no other mods.  I wanted them to move around faster, but not teleport, and still have to deal with invasions and such.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:30:50 pm »

Had I initially had a question about modding, I'd have tossed this there. My apologies for muddying up the forum with thread drift, I suppose. :P