Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking for a raws database  (Read 645 times)

supa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
looking for a raws database
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:39:43 am »

while looking through the raws, i was struck with a burning urge to neatly organize them in a spreadsheet. with the overall inconsistency between entries, trying to compare them was driving me insane. i enjoy using several different mods, but i also like knowing what exact changes/additions are made within the raws so i can check for conflicts.

with that said, i was wondering if there is already a spreadsheet or program that displays raw files for easier browsing/comparing.

---as a side note.. here's some random stuff i noticed while looking through the matgloss_plants raw (40d16).

unlike the other plants, Longland is capitalized. Longland grass, Longland beer, Longland flour.
Longland grass also has a duplicate entry for the SEED token.
prickle berries have two different entries for the SEED token.

nothing game breaking. >_>

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a raws database
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:42:15 am »

Like this?
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens

you know... you can just look/edit/update the wiki...

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Modding

Any of the 'Tokens' entries.

EDIT: Or I am interpreting your question wrong because it is late.

There's (Sean Mirrsen's?) mod database, not sure how far work on that is.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:44:31 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:51:47 am »

Sean Mirrsen's Mod Base (not database) is fully working, I don't get why nobody uses modular mods. It's really comfortable and easy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

supa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 03:22:26 am »

thanks for the reply. mirrsen's modbase is close to what i'm looking for and will help out quite a bit.

i'll continue with my own database with the aid of modbase. basically i just want something where i can look through a list of values. for example, while checking the item_armor raw, i want to see all the items to compare their block value (or whatever tokens that they have/don't have).

i poked around modbase only briefly, so sorry if it does this already.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:31:27 am »

Modbase is the tool which allows you to use parts of mods/combine mods together. However mods should be made in a specific format for this.

Could you be more specific about what do you want? Modbase doesn't compare files currently, and it's a bit hard to implement because there's no rule for an exact order of tokens, however it's still possible.

About your own database: which language do you use, C/C++/C#/VBasic/Delphi/? And which format for files to be hooked by it before it loads dwarffortress.exe? Does it read basic df raw files or do you need to organize tokens manually in some manner?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:34:27 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

supa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:12:20 am »

oh i am but a simple man. i do not dabble in any programming and i stick to what i know.

so far i'm able to use openoffice for what i want. right now i have a database set up for the matgloss_plants. i have fields for all tokens applicable for plants and i input what info i need to put.

examples: for field NAME --i put plump helmet. for field COLOR --i put 500 and it gets formatted to 5:0:0. for tags like [SUMMER], [EDIBLE_VERMIN], etc., i use a yes/no input to tell me if it's present or not.

i'm still poking around a bit, but i'm also able to import the database information into a document. there's still some things to iron out though. like i said, i'm a simple man and this is more for my neatfreak tendencies. i don't really intend to make a project out of it.

Peteł

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:30:49 am »

Well, a Raw Reader should be all "I don't care" about the order of tokens. Assuming no duplicate tokens per entry (idk, haven't been snooping around in there really), you could just store them in a hashtable or map (key - value pairs). Once you are there, it's all yours. Sorting, writing one file per entry for easy comparison, storing in a database, converting to XML, wrapping a Raw Editor GUI around it..
Speaking of which - are there any "Raw Templates", as in, dummy entries with all possible tokens per type? Or at least lists of tokens with their possible values?
Then there's the problem of the incoming (whenever that'll be) update with partly redesigned raws.. Part of those was posted some time, but I believe they are outdated already :/

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:38:42 pm »

I have a raws spreadsheet that converts into DF raw format which i have been using for some time.

It probably isn't as efficient as it could be, but its functional and I've found it useful for finding problems in my own mods.

I've uploaded it here in case anyone wants to use it

supa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 03:15:20 pm »

thank you so much chariot! i can now sleep peacefully.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:25:05 am »

Thank you for the spreadsheet.  I also am a fan of organizing information until it screams for mercy.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.