Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Music Plugin In Upcoming Release?  (Read 764 times)

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Music Plugin In Upcoming Release?
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:32:12 am »

So... i have been creeping around the forums for about a month and a half now and finally got motivated enough to get an account. :D

I suggest in the upcoming version a feature in the raws to direct to a more suitable music collection.
Players would either drag music in, or direct to the files. Then it would just shuffle them and play. Much better than the same flamenco guitar over-andover-andover again.

and I know I can turn off the music in the data/init. Its just a suggestion to add to the user-friendlyness of the game. I have no clue how to mod it to do so. ;D
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Little Pandemonium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Music Plugin In Upcoming Release?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:15:37 am »

It will be awesome if you guys use this as DF BGM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI
Now I have a mental image of romans calling eachother homo on a daily basis.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:44:08 am »

It will be awesome if you guys use this as DF BGM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI
Very funny...

Actually, if you insist on referencing popular memes, the following would probably be more endurable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:54:23 am »

I think we've been hearing snippets of new music in the DFtalk podcasts.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:10:55 am »

But those have been repeatedly and expressly claimed as not being for the application, just for the talks.  (since they were submitted by a third party)

Anyway, the DF Raws way to do it would be to just have a directory with MP3s (or whatever) that get cycled through, with the normal DF music as the only default item.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:59:49 am »

It's pretty simple to just run a media player while you're playing Dwarf Fortress; as long as the game music is off it won't interfere. I sorta think the hassle of moving/copying MP3's to the raws folder would be a tad... unnecessary.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:27 am »

It's pretty simple to just run a media player while you're playing Dwarf Fortress; as long as the game music is off it won't interfere. I sorta think the hassle of moving/copying MP3's to the raws folder would be a tad... unnecessary.

I agree...

OTOH, it would be a useful first step towards custom sound events

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:33 am »

But those have been repeatedly and expressly claimed as not being for the application, just for the talks.  (since they were submitted by a third party)

Anyway, the DF Raws way to do it would be to just have a directory with MP3s (or whatever) that get cycled through, with the normal DF music as the only default item.

Fiddlesticks.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 01:10:11 am »

Your right that would suck. Have you ever played runescape? I havent my brother has. There is more than one song that cycles through and I think something like that would be cool. And since DF should not break copyright then I came to the conclusion of using our own songs that we like.
There are better things to bother toady on though...
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:00:50 pm »

Actually, that does bring up an interesting point... I wonder if, eventually (IE muuuuch later in development) there will be a need for a number of musical tracks that are context sensitive; say, building music and battle music and partying music and the like.

Although now that I think about it, in the dwarven case, at least, all three of those would be the same. Hrm.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:16:41 pm »

Actually, that does bring up an interesting point... I wonder if, eventually (IE muuuuch later in development) there will be a need for a number of musical tracks that are context sensitive; say, building music and battle music and partying music and the like.

Maybe a way to have some kind of Announcement/Event raws that have an option for incidental music to play when certain events or types of events trigger.