Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Harvesters store food even when food hauling labor disabled  (Read 850 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
[40d] Harvesters store food even when food hauling labor disabled
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:19:42 pm »

In the interest of making my growers and herbalists more efficient (particularly when gathering plants a long distance from a food stockpile), I disabled food hauling on them so that my squad of dedicated haulers could handle it instead. However, when they harvest plants, they still insist on carrying them all the way back to the stockpile instead of proceeding to the next harvesting job. When clearing away unwanted shrubs from my tower-cap forest, this gets quite annoying, since it's a fairly long walk to get there and underground shrubs have a 100% harvesting rate (unlike surface shrubs which are closer to 15% or so). I've taken to using the (o)rders screen to outright disable food hauling, and that works, but then I have to wait for the entire harvest to finish before I can turn the orders back on and let all of my other dwarves haul them back, and then I run the risk of the plants withering away.

This may not strictly be a bug, but it seems somewhat abnormal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Harvesters store food even when food hauling labor disabled
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:38:33 am »

In the (o)rder screen there is the option to allow all dwarfs or only Farmers to harvest. Have you tried this as well?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:57:52 am »

I switched it to "Only farmers harvest" long ago, since I didn't want all of my peasants turning into farmers and I want my growers to level up more quickly (I have 4 legendaries doing planting, and I'm training another 4 by having them only harvest).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:21:30 am »

A similar thing happens with drink barrels: once the dwarf finishes drinking, he'll haul the barrel of alcohol to a food stockpile regardless of the labors he has enabled. Granted this isn't generally a big issue, but I suspect it's using the same logic.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:27:40 am »

why dont you just set up a smaller specific stockpile near the harvest location, and set the main stockpile to take from it?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:23 am »

In my experience, they always end up trying to take it to the main stockpile anyways - originally, I had placed 4 small stockpiles right next to my farms and set my main stockpile to take from them, but my farmers would never put anything in them, instead insisting on placing them in the main stockpile (though it was only 2 Z-levels down and only offset by a dozen tiles or so, the secondary stockpiles were still closer in most cases), though when I took off the "takes from" rule, they started getting used.