Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 56

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 10 - Game Over  (Read 73580 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 10 - Blood on the Snows
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2009, 07:30:23 pm »

Ah yes, what a tragedy it would be for the town to lose someone who's superpower is looking like the enemy. :)
The roles do not win the game. The people win the game. A game based solely on its roles is not a terribly good game. That's why there is discussion in this game.

Just because you look like the enemy, does not mean you ARE the enemy. You can still help find scum. Heck, even the process of you being accused can find scum. Like how NUKE is acting. I don't know why he's doing that, but he's being scummy about it. You just don't make a person roleclaim for no reason. As it stood, I don't believe there was a reason to force a roleclaim.

Please don't feel disheartened if we are pressing you hard. It just means that you're bound to crack. When you crack, it's easier to tell if you're telling the truth. I feel as though you are.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »

I'm going to vote Nuke and ask why he was pushing for a roleclaim on the easy lynch.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2009, 12:41:33 am »

If you were a town mad scientist, which invention would you take? What if you were a cultist?

As a townie mad scientist I would have chosen the Snooper bot, to help ferret out the scum. As a cult mad scientist, I'd likely have taken the assassin bot, for obvious reasons.

Forsaken, if you were an alien, which would you be, what would you choose as tech,  who would be your first target, and why?

If I could be any alien I would go with Alien Scientist. I'd pick either Intel or a Personal Shield and a Scanner as my tech. My first target, at this point, would be anyone because anyone I chose would be a viable abduction. I would go after Nuke if I need a cultist, as he is the most scummy, in my opinion, followed closely by toonyman. Toony seemed to push very hard this time to convince people of my scummitude, and since I know that to be false I conclude that he wants to project suspicion on any easy opportunity that comes along. As for who is an Alien... I have no idea yet.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2009, 12:56:35 am »

If you were a town mad scientist, which invention would you take? What if you were a cultist?

As a townie mad scientist I would have chosen the Snooper bot, to help ferret out the scum. As a cult mad scientist, I'd likely have taken the assassin bot, for obvious reasons.

Forsaken, if you were an alien, which would you be, what would you choose as tech,  who would be your first target, and why?

If I could be any alien I would go with Alien Scientist. I'd pick either Intel or a Personal Shield and a Scanner as my tech. My first target, at this point, would be anyone because anyone I chose would be a viable abduction. I would go after Nuke if I need a cultist, as he is the most scummy, in my opinion, followed closely by toonyman. Toony seemed to push very hard this time to convince people of my scummitude, and since I know that to be false I conclude that he wants to project suspicion on any easy opportunity that comes along. As for who is an Alien... I have no idea yet.

Just as a quick heads-up, ToonyMan's play style basically revolves around choosing some random people and pushing them as hard as possible until they crack under the pressure. If you're good enough, you don't crack, although scum tends to crack before townies do.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2009, 12:58:29 am »

Toony didn't 'crack' me, I mostly ignored him. What got to me a bit was everyone's bandwagon. It just seemed that toony pushed harder than usual. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2009, 04:30:18 am »

Finally got to posting...

Hm... yeah, I DO see your point with me "justifing my lynch with the existance of a watcher". However, I did a bit of math.

Lets assume that the scum team must be AT LEAST 5 members.

(I'll assign it to variable S)

If there is only one scum team, just for sake of arguement.

So, there are two possible role combinations with these assumption (aka. my assumption in this game)(BTW, T is town and W is watcher)

11T+1W+5S

or...

12T+5S

Now this raises an important question; what will the watcher get?

My bets are on: Personal Shield and Human Tech.

(Please note I am not taking account for the possiblity of any other power role)

Leaving us with 1 Person wh can limit the game by killing scum, and ALSO is immune to night-kills.

It then goes something like this:

Scum kills many times. Watcher takes this into account and shoots a scum. Scum kills someone, maybe town lynches a scum successfully... then he shoots town, etc.

The watcher IS a serious problem. Our best bet is to lynch EVERYDAY because

1. If we lynch a town, if then the town the next day is in LYLO, the watcher can then shoot the scum, to lengthen the game.
2. If we lynch watcher, we have no fear of NOT lynching, therefore we can possibly do that as a valid option.
3. If we lynch scum... well, its kind of obvious why we want to do this.

Of course, in the other case where there is no watcher... I'm wrong that means. I can't be perfect, ya know...

Well, its best to assume there IS a watcher. No matter what, we must assume worse case scenerio of there is a watcher, and therefore some who is, at least at the moment, anti-town.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2009, 04:38:50 am »

2. If we lynch watcher, we have no fear of NOT lynching, therefore we can possibly do that as a valid option.

I don't follow you here. You're saying that if we kill the watcher, we don't have to lynch any more?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2009, 04:40:49 am »

I find a lot of things wrong with your answer.  Firstly, it's fairly clear from the starting flavour that there are 4 cultists, not 5.  Secondly, there's still no guarentee of the Watcher, and there could even be an EA, in which case this entire plan is shooting the town massively in the foot.

My bets are on: Personal Shield and Human Tech.
What?  I understand the shield, but why would the Watcher pick a tech that disguises his non-existant nightkills?

Scum kills many times. Watcher takes this into account and shoots a scum. Scum kills someone, maybe town lynches a scum successfully... then he shoots town, etc.
He won't be able to shoot anyone.  At most, he has two kills - one with an assasin bot and one with a Mind Control Ray and knowledge of a killing role, and, to be honest, it's not too likely he'd pick either.

The Watcher would still win and blow us all to hell even if we did lynch him.

Anyway, I think your argument centres around the flawed premise that the Watcher has an NK, when his role description says no such thing.  I still regard this as scummy behaviour to justify lynching people recklessly and without thought.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2009, 05:05:12 am »

So you think I am scummy.
Right.
Allow me to explain my actions in full.
Forsaken
It could be a scum ploy. Or it could be stupid town play. Either way, I don't want him alive no more. I strongly suspect ploy- almost all roles are pretty sweet. Maybe enchanter is a little boring.. And he said it in a way that suggest he does have some role, so, yeah. I reckon he's lying. Badly.
Previously on the forsaken: Forsaken 'claimed' a shitty role:
Meh, you guys can do what you want. I'm done answering stupid questions. I got a pretty worthless role this round anyway.
After mildly suspicious behaviour regarding not answering questions. Now, not answering questions could be a townie overreacting over what he sees as people relentlessly trying to get him lynched. It's possible, even common, as new player play. Problem: Forsaken is not a new player. He is a newish player. He has played before. Nevertheless it could still be a noob move. the real problem, in my mind, is giving up.
Giving up, saying, fine, lynch me, my role sucks anyway, is never helpful to the town. The suspected is not going to answer any questions any more, or even try to play the game. They are, in fact, breaking the highest, overarching, unbreakable rule of all mafias everywhere: always try to win.

"It could be a scum ploy. Or it could be stupid town play."-me
As a scum, giving up like that may- in the scum's mind- make the town think "Oh, he doesn't even mind if he dies, he must be town, willing to sacrifice himself", whereupon they don't lynch him. The 'my role sucks' bit justifies this action, as the player is not robbing the town of a valuable power role. It also provides a motive for surrender: the player thinks he is useless, and does not want to play anymore because he doesn't have a super-duper power role (boo hoo hoo)

As town, it really is what the scum wants the town to think it is. And the townie too may think it is justified. But it is not. A scum player making this ploy is not breaking the rule. The town player is. He really is sitting behind his computer crying to himself because he isn't the NK proof vigilante agent. And now that the town won't even assume that he is town just because he is, he goes into a huff, storms out of the room, shouting I HATE YOU ALL back at us, then we hear him crying as he runs off. This player has just messed up the game for all of us. Does he want us to follow him, say, oh, it's all right, we'll assume you are town, and meph has agreed to let you auto-roleblock all your attackers, lead our town base to victory, honoured player, then try to play as he sits sniffling at the head of the table, peeking at peoples role cards?

Neither player is a pro-town asset. Both can and should be lynched.

"I strongly suspect ploy- almost all roles are pretty sweet."-me again
Yes. Last round we had a total of ZERO normal townies, people. Lame roles and paranormal mafia go together like two super magnets with the same polarity. Goth is actually the only role which could possibly be called lame, and I didn't even consider the possibility, as we have only once before had a goth/kook (I think). So the chance that forsaken actually had a lame role was quite low indeed- only townie and goth could really be called lame

"Maybe enchanter is a little boring"
And enchanter. Yeah, as a pro-town role this one is pretty useless except at an apparent lylo.

"And he said it in a way that suggest he does have some role, so, yeah"
And this rules out townie. So, yeah.

"I reckon he's lying. Badly."
And what if he's not? He's still a cry-baby of a town player who is only marginally more useful to the town than an actual cultist! The only reason this is important is because some people have this weird thing about not lynching townies. See for counter argument: Kashyyk, last round.

That concludes my evaluation of that part of that post. I voted for forsaken for a combination of a)his previous scummy behaviour and b)his 'surrender' move

Quote from: NUKE9.13
I also don't like how Nuke hasn't posted in a very long time. I understand the time zone problem, but once a day ought to be possible.
Yeah, sorry, been meaning to post, but I keep getting distracted.
So.
Hmmn.
I'd say well done Toony you probably found yourself some scum.
Other than that, not much to say. It's day one. All we have to go on is behaviour, and forsaken is the only one who stands out in my mind.
"Yeah, sorry, been meaning to post, but I keep getting distracted."
Speaks for itself.

As for the rest:
On day one, we have one source of information (providing there are none of them DoTs around (which I guess there aren't)): suspicious behaviour. And unfortunately, the scum are being remarkably good at not spontaneously revealing themselves. With the exception, in my mind at this point, of forsaken, who's behaviour had already merited my vote. The whole theoretical questions lark is not my forte (I don't see the point, really), so I didn't ask any. And I didn't evaluate any responses to previous questions, because I don't know how.
My congratulating of toony was merely decorative and had no effect on my actual thoughts of toony.

Next post, please.

I have not claimed any role, I merely said the role I have is rather lame. No, I'm not a vanilla townie. Leafsnail, I never said it was necessary that a townie die on day 1... I said SOMEONE has to be lynched.
Roleclaim or die.
Do it within the next ten minutes.
So, here we have forsaken confirming he is not a vannila townie. He does not claim. Why not? He is very near death, and, apparently, not crying outside, but still playing (sort of rules out the townie option on my previous post?). Claiming at this point might redeem him from death, which would be good, because lynching actual cultists is always preferable to lynching townies
"He's still a cry-baby of a town player who is only marginally more useful to the town than an actual cultist!"
still more usefull before you cry hypocrisy

"Roleclaim or die.
Do it within the next ten minutes."

'Woah woah woah, NUKE!', I hear you cry. 'Death threats?' Yes, death threats. He had by far more votes than everyone else. His death was imminent. Claiming might make people reconsider, unvote, and thus, save his life. A better phrasing might have been 'Roleclaim and live', but it is the same thing, basically.
Why is roleclaiming enough to make him live?: Because scum should always act in conjunction with other scum. Before claiming they should make sure their buddies agree with their chosing claim. Now, the only claim he could make is goth/enchanter. If I were in his position (scum), I would have claimed goth an age ago. As soon as people weren't falling for the 'I surrender' lark. But forsaken, whilst not a completely new player, is not an experienced player, either. So he might be going for confirming with his partners first. Who are not online at the time, perhaps, or still deliberating on whether goth is the right option.
A townie would realise his death was imminent and the only way to possibly save themselves, and thus help the town, would be to claim, and would do so immediately. They don't have to deliberate. They don't have to make stuff up. They just claim.
And that is why I said within the next ten minutes. He would have no time to discuss, no time to contact his buddies. A townie would have no problem and could just claim. A scum couldn't.

Next post!

Ok so Forsaken was online but he just logged off.
With benefit of the doubt: He browsed a little after his last post and then went to do something else
With suspicion: He logged off to avoid having to make a roleclaim he hasn't prepared. He is discussing what to claim with his scum buddies as we speak.
With realism: See with suspicion.
Yes. I checked. I refreshed his profile until the little green ball went red. Then I checked to see if he had made any posts after his one in this thread. He hadn't. I could only conclude that he did see my post, and left to avoid answering it until his scum buddies told him to claim goth.
I did this because I did not want to condemn an innocent man. It was possible that he made his post and left, not giving a second glance to the thread. It could have been that he made that post, then made some other posts, then left, not giving a second glance to the thread. Neither were the case.
I don't see how this is scummy. Explain if you will, people. It is merely watching behaviour. And damming behaviour it was.

Quote from: NUKE9.13
I am not 'role fishing', Mr.Person. Forsaken has already 'claimed' a +shitty role+. If I was scum I would know he was telling the truth (as a townie), and I would not be interested in killing him, so what his actual role is wouldn't matter. And this also applies to the real scum, so it doesn't matter if he claims.
Not to OMGUS, but that is pretty obvious, Mr.Person. FoS on you for 'not' realising it.
To clarify:
There are three parties involved in this argument: Me, the scum team, and forsaken. For the sake of this argument, forsaken is town (as rolefishing for a scum role is a-ok).
There are two possibilities: I am scum, and I am not scum.
Option one (I am scum): I am scum and I know that forsaken is town. He has confessed already that his role is 'worthless'. Why would I, a scum team member, be interested in knowing what it is, especially if he is going to get lynched anyway? I am not going to NK someone with a worthless role. Indeed, I am definitely going to kill someone with a useful role, so I have already stricken forsaken off my NK list. Rolefishing: pointless.
Option two (I am not scum): The real scum know that forsaken is town. He has confessed already that his role is 'worthless'. Why would they, the scum team, be interested in knowing what it is, especially if he is going to get lynched anyway? They are not going to NK someone with a worthless role. Indeed, they are definitely going to kill someone with a useful role, so they have already stricken forsaken off their NK list. My rolefishing: uninteresting.

Nuke - For being watchful enough of forsaken to catch when he goes offline.  It's day 1, even though we can have strong suspicions, it is still really early in the game.
Are you satisfied with my explanation?

At this point, I just read through five pages of discussion, so I definitely need to go back and look over what I read for clues and such, but at a cursory glance, I'd think I'd kill Nuke. Nuke made three posts and all of them were fairly suspicious. He patted ToonyMan on the back for finding scum, then he demanded forsaken1111 roleclaim or die, and then he's paying way too much attention to when forsaken1111 logs on and off. Nuke really wants forsaken1111 dead, and that bugs me, because it seems so opportunistic.
If I was the vigilante, would I kill Nuke in the night? I'd probably think about it a lot more before I made any decision, and I'd pore over the discussion and look for other clues, and maybe cross reference Paranormal 9, and anything else that I can think of, so I can't say for certain that I would, but at a cursory glance, he would be my target.
So, in that vein, I think I'll unvote RedWarrior0, and instead vote for NUKE9.13.
How about you?

I'm going to vote Nuke and ask why he was pushing for a roleclaim on the easy lynch.
I don't care if you are satisfied because that is the second time in a row you voted for me and I already explained myself to you previously and you ignored it so I guess you are probably scum. Also bandwagoning.

I would go after Nuke if I need a cultist, as he is the most scummy, in my opinion.
Baaaaaandwagon.

I am afraid that with all this defending of myself (and a little extra accusing of forsaken), I have not taken a second glance at any other posts. I will read through them and make a second, more general post, about any I consider interesting.
Long Live United Forenia!

muchenik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2009, 05:06:46 am »

Janus, don't forget:

Muchenik - Trying to tunnelvision us and implying that one or the other in an argumentative pair had to be scum.

Mr.P, historically, Paranormal is a very PR-heavy game.

Tunnelvision? I was going for Double Vision. Guess my Foreigner belt needs a few more charges.

So now that we are finally passed RV unvote. I have problems with people that push for a roleclaim on day one, especially since if you are going to vote for them to be removed anyway it doesn't matter what they claim. Sorry Nuke, looks very scummy.
Close This Door
txeN ehT nepO

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2009, 05:19:46 am »

A tunnel with two people is totally still a tunnel. Or something.

Also, Muchenik, are you just voting Nuke so you don't get lynched?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:44 am »

Yes, Muchenik, even if it's two people rather than one, it's still tunnel vision.  If we think like that, we may end up wasting 2 lynches that the town can ill afford.

I'd still like a response from Humaan regarding his reckless lynching strategy.

muchenik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2009, 05:24:57 am »

Originally it was a vote for Nuke due to him stalking players, but the wall of text is a pretty good reason. Fight literacy!
Close This Door
txeN ehT nepO

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2009, 05:28:05 am »

Originally it was a vote for Nuke due to him stalking players, but the wall of text is a pretty good reason. Fight literacy!

"He is being valuable and defending his arguments. Let's lynch him!"

Yeah. Townie status right here, guys.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2009, 05:29:28 am »

Yes. I checked. I refreshed his profile until the little green ball went red. Then I checked to see if he had made any posts after his one in this thread. He hadn't. I could only conclude that he did see my post, and left to avoid answering it until his scum buddies told him to claim goth.

You must have missed the multiple instances where I said I was out and about, using my phone to check in. Of course I was bouncing on and offline, as the phone loses signal in a building or when I close the browser and plan to check in later. But way to draw some broad assumptions.

I guess it's time to come clean, most of this was part of a planned attempt to inject some drama into the situation. Only one of you was aware of what I was doing, and I appreciate your help so far. You guys had me laughing pretty hard over here a couple times. I wanted to create a situation (which I think I have) where someone was scapegoated and it would draw out some opportunists, who would pounce on the situation and possibly reveal themselves in their haste. I had two main reasons for doing this...

1. Hardly anyone was interacting. There were some questions fired back and forth, and a few small discussions, but until I got into it with toony and started the ball rolling we didn't have much talk at all.
2. I wanted to make a wordle, but there wasn't enough text yet to make it good. Here it is!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I didn't doctor that or alter the positioning, that's the way it came up the first generation. I thought it was amusing)

Sorry to anyone I upset, it was 90% playacting. :)

I really am a Goth Townie, I came clean because I didn't want a DoT (assuming we have one) to waste their one shot on me.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 56