Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41

Author Topic: Not-so Beginner Mafia: End- Turn to walk away  (Read 59611 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Night 2. A Discovery!
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2009, 03:28:03 pm »

From how many games will I be banned for quoting my role PM?
Don't you dare fucking do that. >:[

I'm tempted to vote you for trying to blackmail us out of voting you.

We'll see properly if you're scum once I'm done with classes (around 4) and can actually catch up....

Er, no.  I'm not trying to blackmail you, by the way.  I'm just trying to find out what the consequences of my actions might be, because I'm becoming unfortunately frustrated.

It'd be more optimal to just vote myself, anyway, so I'm not going to get myself modkilled.  I apologize if I'm being irritating.

There's only two people on me, anyway >_>  It's not like I'm really close to being lynched or pulling this as some sort of gambit.  Mostly, I'm pissed off at Free Beer and would like to give the town a chance to actually find some scum, rather than getting themselves embroiled in my stupid behavior.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2009, 03:32:48 pm »

YOU CAN NEVER EVER IN ANY MAFIA GAME IN THE ENTIRETY OF EVERNESS WILL YOU EVER BE ABLE TO QUOTE YOUR PM...

EVAR

And Blackmailing Town=/=No Lynch

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »

Ah, come on. Calm down. It's a game. Don't take it personaly.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2009, 03:35:34 pm »

Quoting your role pm gives too much weight to what you're saying, since anyone else who got the same pm will be sure of your innocence (some games have "Mafia Falseclaim" to avoid this).  So yeah, don't.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »

Asking if you can post a role PM to modkill yourself and "give town another shot at finding scum today" is a form of blackmail. It's like the "but then you'll lynch a townie" argument in a way.

See, you know posting your role PM is not allowed. You know you aren't going to do it. You're trying to sound more town by offering yourself up, so to speak, but you aren't able to offer yourself up that way and we all know it.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

... Did you not read the part where I said I'd vote for myself instead?  There's no need for me to Impulsively Show Free Beer What's What, when it looks like it'll happen at the end of the day in any case.

Don't worry.  I'm going to calm down and work on some math problems, and then go back and answer Free Beer once I can do so without smacking him.

Further, Org:

What about that question I asked a couple of pages back?

See, you know posting your role PM is not allowed. You know you aren't going to do it. You're trying to sound more town by offering yourself up, so to speak, but you aren't able to offer yourself up that way and we all know it.

Erm, no.  I was actually going to do it.  Then I realized that I had a couple of options:

1. Replacement (Too pissed at Free Beer to do this right now)
2. Post PM -> everyone pissed at me, bannings, but at least I showed Free Beer, town gets a couple of hours to scumhunt [kind of ineffective, given the goal].
3. Vote self -> less pissedness (... I hope), no bannings, managed to show Free Beer anyway, same effect on town's ability to scumhunt.

3 clearly dominates 2, so I figure I'd rather go with being lynched over posting the PM.  Also, I apologize if you thought I was trying to blackmail you.  That was in no way my intention, though I understand why you might think it was a gambit.

... So, Org and Leafsnail.  Going to actually give your information, or are you going to just show up when I try to get myself modkilled?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2009, 04:12:56 pm »

... Did you not read the part where I said I'd vote for myself instead?  There's no need for me to Impulsively Show Free Beer What's What, when it looks like it'll happen at the end of the day in any case.

Don't worry.  I'm going to calm down and work on some math problems, and then go back and answer Free Beer once I can do so without smacking him.

Further, Org:

What about that question I asked a couple of pages back?

Erm, no.  I was actually going to do it.  Then I realized that I had a couple of options:

1. Replacement (Too pissed at Free Beer to do this right now)
2. Post PM -> everyone pissed at me, bannings, but at least I showed Free Beer, town gets a couple of hours to scumhunt [kind of ineffective, given the goal].
3. Vote self -> less pissedness (... I hope), no bannings, managed to show Free Beer anyway, same effect on town's ability to scumhunt.

3 clearly dominates 2, so I figure I'd rather go with being lynched over posting the PM.  Also, I apologize if you thought I was trying to blackmail you.  That was in no way my intention, though I understand why you might think it was a gambit.

... So, Org and Leafsnail.  Going to actually give your information, or are you going to just show up when I try to get myself modkilled?
It helps when you quote said question.

You can just change the pm anyway. :I

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »

I did the same thing to SinHjen (something like that) Free Beer, they revealed their role pm and were mod-killed.  They were town.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so Beginner Mafia: Night 2. 1 Substitution needed.
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »

That really doesnt explain it.

Show up what?

What am I, deep-striking?

I'm voting you because I would like you to appear and generate posts with actual content.  You are not doing this.  You are jumping on a bandwagon and following Free Beer blindly.  Have anything to say about my arguments?  Have anything to say about other scum?  Have any questions for me?

Essentially, are you actually processing things, or are you just following Free Beer?

So... we need to find out who we're going to lynch.  I will request here that everyone posts a list of their opinions on everyone else.  It's time to do some deep thinking and figure out what's really happening.

You can just change the pm anyway. :I

... Uh, I would roleflip upon death.  I think that's the entire point, here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2009, 04:42:17 pm »

Really, Vector, now you're just contradicting yourself. I'm tired of arguing with you and I want to see you dead, because I already know you're scum.

Wasn't this obvious from the calls to crucify me?  I'm kind of curious, anyway.  Why take your execution method of choice as one that is famous for the destruction of innocents and martyrs?  You could say "DROWN THE SCUM" or "LYNCH THE SCUM" or perhaps "DEFENESTRATE THE SCUM" and it would make sense, but your peculiar methodology does not fit with your suspicions.

(I was going to say something about "IMMOLATE THE SCUM," but unfortunately most of the interesting words for murdering someone involve the innocence of the victim in question)

I questioned ExKirby and voted him.  I also gave him advice.  This is not an entirely binary situation.
..which is why I am suspicious of you. You had nothing to gain as town by sending out mixed signals like that. Other the other hand, as scum, if Org died instead of ExKirby, ExKirby would have made an easy N2 lynch - doubly so since he would have been mostly responsible for killing Org in order to save himself. If Org is town and your action was successful, we'd be at 3/2 with no new information.

Didn't think of that.

If I'd really wanted Org to die, I would have voted him myself, or removed my concessionary statements as to his standardized behavior.  I'm reasonably good at framing other people.

1. Yeah.  I'm a person who wants to learn how to get along with people.
2. First off, I wasn't lying in BM1.  I'm actually a pretty passive person, until my temper gets the best of me.
  - RL issues, which are not exactly your business.
3. Even if he's scum, I appreciate someone--anyone--sticking up for me.
  - He said nothing suspicious, so I didn't attack him D1.  I was busy with ExKirby.
4. I do not have to play the game by your standards alone, Free Beer.  I will not apologize for trying to be helpful.

This is a game of Mafia, not Barbie Horse Adventures. As I had already pointed out, these make you look more suspicious, not less.

If they make me look more suspicious, then they make me more suspicious.  I will not lie just to make myself look better.  The truth is more important than whether some guy on the internet "lynches" some other guy on the internet.

I don't want to justify my behavior or say that it's optimized for playing Mafia.  I don't intend to tell you that I am a skilled player.  I mean only to explain myself, and if you don't believe me then that is unfortunate.

Why do you think I keep repeating myself, if what I say only makes me more suspicious?  It's because it's true...

6. I didn't quote my role PM verbatim because I would be mod-killed.  Further, I'm a townie with no special powers whatsoever.

If you check the flavor text for this game, you will find that there is in fact no role called "Townie." They are called "Recruits." Further, when you stated your role PM vindicates you, you said that this PM specifically identified you as town. Again, check the flavor text. There is no "town." This is the Litia family rooting out spies. Of course, a spy like you wouldn't have gotten the memo about all of this.

Interestingly enough, my role is not listed as "Recruit."  It is listed as "Townie."  Role in the game: recruit.  Name of role on my PM: "Townie."

You don't seem to be getting it, so I'll be a direct as possible: I am asking you to use logic and evidence. Both of these work in Mathematics. They work in real life, as well.

Burden of proof.  I cannot prove I'm town.  I actually don't know what I might do to convince you, other than repeatedly telling you the reasoning behind my actions.

And you didn't pick up that citing a couple of examples combined with propaganda does not constitute good reasoning. In the general case, your actions are scum-tells. You're emitting them like Uranium emits alpha particles. And your crummy excuse of "I want to be helpful" doesn't cut it.

Nope, I didn't pick up what you were trying to tell me.  Kind of sucks, doesn't it.

There are excuses, and there are explanations.  My explanation for my behavior may not be what you want to see.

I haven't anti-FOS'd you.  I said that you didn't look like scum to me at the moment.  You look like some sort of asshole trying to intimidate my stubbornness out my ears, so I'll lie down and allow myself to be lynched.  My dislike of you does not mean you cannot be town.  It just means that I don't really want to play games with you if you're going to act like this.

That's not what you said. This is what you said:
You've got problems, dude.  You're probably town, because no scum would act like this.

So, after I flip town, my suggestion is that y'all take a look at Pandarsenic and Org, just because they've been standing back while we eat each other.  Maybe ToonyMan, too, because Free Beer may be correct about the buddying--though I think he'd be less overt about it.  I also think that Pandarsenic has been a bit too jumpy for my tastes.

Heck, Leafsnail... what do you think about the current mess?  ToonyMan showed up and posted, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.
You said it's highly unlikely for me to be scum, then proceeded to FoS every other active player except me. That's about as anti-FoSing as it gets there. Considering ToonyMan's repeated mentions of how it's "impossible" for me to be "bussing you," I'd think you're laying the groundwork for a N3 Free Beer lynch after you flip scum.

Yup.  It's pretty unlikely for you to be scum, and you'll get out of this scot-free in any case because "Vector was dropping scum-tells everywhere."  My guess is that it's Org/Leafsnail, given the part where they haven't really said anything, even when I repeatedly asked them to.  I tried to give my opinions at the time, so at least I'd be useful after you lynched me.

Further, I haven't admitted to buddying.  Buddying is a strategy used by scum when they are trying to lure the town into a false sense of security.  My altruism is non-strategic.

Then what was this?
I understand that it is more important to you to buddy up to the other players than to catch the scum.
It's more important to be kind than it is to win a game.
I stated that you implied you were buddying. You attempted to justify it. That constitutes admitting it.

*shrug*

I guess that's your interpretation.  I don't really feel like I can convince you otherwise, at this point.  I've spoken my piece, and there's no point in just saying the same things over and over.  If you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2009, 04:51:50 pm »

Townie

You are one of the recruits for the Litia Family.  Having applied to the hotel with the intention of joining this mafia group, your main wish is to prove yourself worthy to be a member of the Family.  If that means risking your life to find their enemies then so be it!

You have only the power of your vote and your skills at reading people.  You only hope that is enough.

Your role is, in essence, a Townie.  You win when all threats against the 'town' are eliminated.

From this game on, the mafia will be given the Townie role PM. 

I spend a good while writing those things up to make this thing interesting.  The mere idea that the game will be ruined because I DIDN'T go lazy and just write "you're a townie", to be blunt, pisses me the fuck off.

If it involves the role PM, it is a NO.  If there's a MENTION of it again, I reserve the right to do anything from ignore it to ban all involved from ALL games I host permanently.

3-5 people are lynched in each game.  Most of them are town.  Some of them are mafia.  All of them had the rest of the players call them scum, a liar, and other horrible things.  It hurts, I know, especially when I'm being dead-honest about what I say.  However, those that accuse you are not (or should not) be doing it personally.  They are paranoid.  They are scared.  Two people who are smiling at you, helping you, trying to save you, are actually planning to kill you.  Remember that when they accuse you or when you accuse them. 

I try to speak more about it in Dead Chat (helps that, since they are dead, I can get more specific of the situation).  For now, do the best you can to achieve your goal for as long as you keep going.

But do NOT cross me just to get at someone or I'll GIVE you something to get angry about.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2009, 04:55:35 pm »

If it involves the role PM, it is a NO.  If there's a MENTION of it again, I reserve the right to do anything from ignore it to ban all involved from ALL games I host permanently.

[...]

But do NOT cross me just to get at someone or I'll GIVE you something to get angry about.

I sincerely apologize.  I forgot that this mess might bother you, as well.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2009, 05:07:33 pm »

Np.

I'm less angry as I am reallly wanting to make a blunt point.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2009, 05:18:57 pm »

All right.  This bothers me.

We have 7 people here.  Those are:

Free Beer
Vector
ToonyMan
Org
Leafsnail
Pandarsenic
Webadict

Free Beer is being paranoid to the point of being deranged. - Town, or extremely clever scum.
Org is clearly learning, but playing similarly to how he normally does. - ... Town?
Leafsnail I'm not sure about, but at least he's scumhunting outside of the main fight in the middle. - Town-ish.

Webadict - Is Webadict.  Don't know much so far.

Pandarsenic and ToonyMan have been defending me.

I'm grateful and everything, but here's the thing.  Free Beer is going to keep fighting like a rabid dog until I die.  Whenever I look like I'm about to stop, one of those two steps in and relieve the pressure slightly.

It seems like the point is to make it so that we keep arguing and posting WoT while everyone else sits back, and then the town knows nothing by the end of the day.  If I go down, then we haven't been scum-hunting very well for the day.  If I don't go down, then it's probably that we'll kill a different townie today and end up with me tomorrow.

Further, there's this:

So... we need to find out who we're going to lynch.  I will request here that everyone posts a list of their opinions on everyone else.  It's time to do some deep thinking and figure out what's really happening.

Ranked from most to least scummy:

Org - Has been really useless, especially today.  Given to bandwagoning.  This may just be the way he plays, but I feel like he's really not engaging himself.

Free Beer - Foaming-at-the-mouth something.  I feel like a lot of his allegations had holes in them (though I recognize that I may have been absolutely incomprehensible), and just because he's being ridiculously aggressive does not mean he's town.

[Diakron/Diakron's replacement] - Bandwagoning D1, currently gone.  Don't feel safe lynching him before he's replaced, but would not be surprised if he were scum.

Leafsnail - Scumhunting on the side, keeping out of the fight in the middle.  Seems fairly okay to me, though I feel like he needs to show up and talk more.

ToonyMan - I feel like if he were scum, he'd shaft me or go after Org/Diakron instead of going for the difficult lynch (Free Beer).  As such, unless he does something really weird, he seems like he's town.

Pandarsenic - Feels town to me.  I don't think he would have unvoted if he were scum.

I'll post mine most to least likely scum too.

Free Beer - Insanely linear on a lynch of Vector (and I).  He doesn't care for anyone's opinion and just wants to see Vector gone.  Doesn't matter what you say, like he said.  :-P

Org - Alright, so he's trying to be helpful....where?  I see no helpful, I see scum going along with Free Beer saying nothing.

Diakron/Diakron Replacement - Same thing as Org really.  Not so much on the following though.

Pandarsenic - Not speaking much, this will matter later on, I'll keep that in mind.

Leafsnail - I can't think of anything not worthy he has said without looking back.  I should put him at the same level as Pandarsenic.

Vector - It would be CRAZY for Free Beer to be bussing his partner so early.  It could happen, but I don't think Vector is scum AT ALL.  I don't freakin' care what you say Free Beer.  I'm defending someone who I think is being bashed by SCUM.

This isn't buddying in the typical sense.  It's "emotional coordination" (sorry, got the term out of a textbook).  Most of this post is less about what Toony thinks than what I think.  There's hardly any information in here.  It's mostly another subtle nudge--but he doesn't ever really attack Free Beer.  He's just defending.

Plus, the rankings are suspiciously similar to mine.

Plus, he's even copying the style in which I did it, though he typically does things differently.

So, Unvote.

ToonyMan.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2009, 05:24:38 pm »

What so I be helpful and voted for doing so?  I don't think anybody else even bothered to list their suspicions.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41