Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Releasing vermin from cage and forbidding animal trap causes spam  (Read 1097 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

If a vermin in a built cage is assigned to another built cage, two jobs get created, one to release the vermin from its old cage (into an animal trap) and one to transfer it to the new cage. However, forbidding the chosen animal trap leads to rapid spam of "dwarf cancels Releasing Small Creature: Job object lost or destroyed", one message per frame, until that specific animal trap is unforbidden. Even if another animal trap becomes available, the spam continues, and during this, the vermin is presumably also locked in said task and cannot be simply removed from its old cage and placed into the new cage (as would be the case if the cage was simply unbuilt beforehand).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Releasing vermin from cage and forbidding animal trap causes spam
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:17:30 pm »

A similar thing happened to me the other day; I was assigning newborn foals to cages for butchering, and accidentally selected a tame squirrel or something I had bought from the elves. I promptly unselect it, and endless spam results. It took half an hour of lagging spamming as I searched for the offending animal/cage (mainly because I forgot exactly which animal I had mis-selected and also had multiples of most animals) before I finally assigned every vermin to the same cage, in the process destroying my carefully arranged vermin zoo.

It happened again an hour later.

It would be nice to look into this.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d] Releasing vermin from cage and forbidding animal trap causes spam
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:21:30 pm »

You probably ran into a separate annoyance, which is that assigning an animal from one built cage to another built cage creates 2 tasks - though I mentioned it at the beginning of my post (and it is indeed very annoying), it wasn't the bug I was focusing on.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.