Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Space Empires V  (Read 2071 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Empires V
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:35:02 am »

Cool game, and beans.

On that note, i sent a email to the people and tried calling their tech support phone number only to get answered by a nerd-bot telling me the OBVIOUS THINGS right there in the manual. Anywho, i meet all the requirements, got the latest directX, correct OS, etc. But when i start the game all the buttons EXCEPT quit game do not work. Any idea? i can click them..but it wont go past the main menu. I always have these out-of-the-way bugs that no one has ever heard of and i have to wait 3 friggin days to get a response from techie support. Baw.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: Space Empires V
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:50:57 am »

Have you tried updating that game? The latest version is 1.79, WAY improved over 1.0

http://www.malfador.com/se5patch.html
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:51:36 am »

Have you tried updating that game? The latest version is 1.79, WAY improved over 1.0

http://www.malfador.com/se5patch.html
Yeppers, already tried. doesnt work.
EDIT:And by doesnt work i mean the game still doesnt work, the patch installs just fine. Meaning im still having the problem i described earlier.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:53:55 am by x2yzh9 »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »

Well, i guess no one has any idea then. :'(

Well this thread is for discussing the game as well, not just a bug thread. ^^

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »

I should get back to work on my metagame.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:35:05 pm »

Sorry you haven't had much luck with the game. I've been a Space Empires fan for a while, ever since 2. Aside from a few minor gripes with the company itself,(Releasing whole new versions of the game with minor, but cool, upgrades at full price and not offering prior owners any way to get those features without buying the game again kinda sucks.)  I've enjoyed the series all the way up to 5. Unfortunately I don't play it as much anymore, just being busy and I end up playing a lot more games which I don't have to sit down with and play for hours just to really get into it.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:00:26 pm »

Sorry you haven't had much luck with the game. I've been a Space Empires fan for a while, ever since 2. Aside from a few minor gripes with the company itself,(Releasing whole new versions of the game with minor, but cool, upgrades at full price and not offering prior owners any way to get those features without buying the game again kinda sucks.)  I've enjoyed the series all the way up to 5. Unfortunately I don't play it as much anymore, just being busy and I end up playing a lot more games which I don't have to sit down with and play for hours just to really get into it.
Yea, i loved IV, don't remember why i didn't play V. Think i mightve lost the disc or something..My other computer isnt working right now, game works fine on that one. This one is less of a gaming computer though it meets the requirements. One way or another ill eventually get to play the game.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »

i may have heard about DF from SE geeks, I was moderatly active in the SE4 community for a several years.

Anyway, theres still some traffic on #SpaceEmpires on FreeNode, so you might ask for help there.  I wouldnt expect any direct tech support from Malfador, its just one guy.  And I wouldnt expect anything at all from Strategy First, they pretty much just suck balls in all measureable ways.

Never could get into SE5 myself.  Be sure you mod it up with some of the recommended balance mods and such, as the stock gameplay is fairly disapointing.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 01:26:28 am »

Be sure you mod it up with some of the recommended balance mods and such, as the stock gameplay is fairly disapointing.
QFT. The AI is so bad it almost takes effort to lose, and while there are different opinions about the incremental-improvement research model, I personally dislike it.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:10:38 am »

I got SEV for something between 5 and 7 Euro. With printed manual and all. Normally, at that price, it's easy to like a game, innit?

Well... as a long time 4X fan I dont see why people like SEV.

I mean it has TONS of cool components that COULD be used to make a very good game. But sadly, the developers obviously tried really hard to trash their game.

As already mentioned, the AI is horribad, which makes singleplayer useless. The multiplayer is SO unnecessary cumbersome to pull off, it just aint fun anymore. It's almost 2010, sending a turnfile should NOT be the most reliable way of playing it against humans.

edit: and sorry, I think I cant help with the weird technical problems described.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:21:23 am »

tried running in windowed mode or changing the compatability settings?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:11:58 am »

tried running in windowed mode or changing the compatability settings?
Indeed.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 11:16:55 am »

Tried reinstalling? Turning off hardware acceleration via dxdiag? Can you apply your cd-key to Steam and try using the Steam version?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 12:28:04 pm »

Tried reinstalling? Turning off hardware acceleration via dxdiag? Can you apply your cd-key to Steam and try using the Steam version?
Already reinstalled, my disk certainly isn't corrupted, and how do i turn off hardware accceleration?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:35 pm »

Press Start, then Run..., type in "dxdiag" and press OK. Go to the Display tab in the new window and press Disable next to DirectDraw Acceleration (this turns off all others as well).
Pages: [1] 2