Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Stronghold  (Read 2288 times)

biohazard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven Stronghold
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:24:11 am »

A clone of DF?

Check.

Probably going to lack many features?

Check.

Likely to be bug-ridden?

Check.

But I just started and it's chugging along quite nicely, and it's fun to make. View my handy worklog at grasshopperinteractive.webs.com/  - link is fix'd

Exclusive screenie for you guys:

I adore Dwarf Fortress to death, I just want to try my hand at something similar, but with the UI of our dreams.
You can't actually play it yet, but you can look around the local reigon (it's 2D, but I have plans to change this, and there's only your randomly generated local reigon, no vast world, which will change eventually, too.) and demo the UI, but none of it can actually be used to play the game.

The UI is described pretty nicely by the screenies of the worklog (zoom in if the text is unreadable, dumb freewebs wants to scale down my pictures) What is shown is the screenshot above and not there is that menus can be navigated with the keyboard AND the mouse, simultaneosly if you so please. (The mouse is actually hovering over the text that says 'Adjust Landscape'.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:48:28 am by biohazard »

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Stronghold
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:30:50 am »

Ooh, neat.
I think you should keep the visible world limited to one region, with only diplomatic contact to the outside.  Kinda like a light-weight version of Dwarf Fortress focusing purely on building a stronghold.

Oh, and perhaps make an Elf Fortress instead. ;)  Like that one fake game but actually real playable.
Imagine building a treehouse in huge generated trees!

biohazard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:34:27 am »

It's limited to a 300x300 tile space.

And can elves mine? Yea, I didn't think so.
Stupid elves would just sit around doing nothing, even if they were ablaze.

And not to mention I just recently discoverd DF. No clue what the Elf Fortress you're talking about may be.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:00 am »

It's a joke game. You're given a bunch of elfs and the only structure you can build immediately is a tree bedroom or something. You build one in the trees, an elf sleeps in it and then immediately falls to their death over the edge.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:53 am »

It's a joke game. You're given a bunch of elfs and the only structure you can build immediately is a tree bedroom or something. You build one in the trees, an elf sleeps in it and then immediately falls to their death over the edge.
Isn't that what DF players want?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:50:09 am »

I think some people claimed that you could actually get real buildings going by waiting till one of your elves became insane enough to become a carpenter.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:50:59 pm »

This game does seem rather blatent though, mayhap grounds for sueing?

biohazard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:17:36 pm »

That seems completely unlikely. The words in the title are completely different, anyway.

If I get complained at, I'll do whatever needs to be done, but I want to play DF with a more humane interface, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to play this game once it's completed.

Idea: Mole Stronghold - where your guys are moles! :D
(I'm being halfway serious)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »

That seems completely unlikely. The words in the title are completely different, anyway.

If I get complained at, I'll do whatever needs to be done, but I want to play DF with a more humane interface, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to play this game once it's completed.

Idea: Mole Stronghold - where your guys are moles! :D
(I'm being halfway serious)

Sounds interesting.

Screw picks, iron slip-on claws.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 04:11:35 pm »

Pshh... we need Worm Stronghold. Where the worms dig with blowtorches and wield bazookas.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 04:21:31 pm »

Pshh... we need Worm Stronghold. Where the worms dig with blowtorches and wield bazookas.

Pretty sure we already have that.
Whatsitcalled... TES:Oblivion.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 06:45:22 pm »

I think you should make a game about trenches, you already have the digging feature out,so why not?Build bunkers by Digging Z levels,Order in objects.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:16 pm »

Elves would mine with magicked trees.  Plant a tree over a tin vein, wait a few decades, then harvest the SnApples.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 06:52:16 pm »

I adore Dwarf Fortress to death, I just want to try my hand at something similar, but with the UI of our dreams.
You can't actually play it yet, but you can look around the local reigon (it's 2D, but I have plans to change this, and there's only your randomly generated local reigon, no vast world, which will change eventually, too.) and demo the UI, but none of it can actually be used to play the game.

The UI is described pretty nicely by the screenies of the worklog (zoom in if the text is unreadable, dumb freewebs wants to scale down my pictures) What is shown is the screenshot above and not there is that menus can be navigated with the keyboard AND the mouse, simultaneosly if you so please. (The mouse is actually hovering over the text that says 'Adjust Landscape'.)

You can try a dungeon keeper approach for a more warlike game. Why not emulate the stockpiles into rooms,use 1 or 2 simple reasources, and start in a mountain with the goal to dig out and conquer the town?
Or Defend the mountain type?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 06:56:33 pm »

This is just personal opinion, but for games where traffic flow isn't integral to the concept of the game (DF, The Sims, etc), it really really annoys me how long it takes people to walk around from place to place.  If you want to focus on building and defending, you might want to consider making your dwarves walk really fast and be able to walk through each other.

Decide what you want the player to spend most of their time on, and make sure that's what they WILL spend it on!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2