Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Collapsing ice wall causes interminable collapse spam  (Read 886 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
[40d16] Collapsing ice wall causes interminable collapse spam
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:29:07 pm »

I embarked on a glacier with two layers of ice over rock. In order to get liquid water, I collapsed an 8x8 square of ice wall from the lower ice level down into a stone room beneath it, which then melted into water. :

Code: [Select]

-----------   Ice Floor at ground level
|         |   Open ice room
-  -----  -   Ice Floor with channels
|  |XXX|  |  Block to be collapsed
-  -----  -   Stone Floor with channels
|         |   Stone Room
----------- Stone Floor
|XXXXXXXXX| Solid Stone Layer

Some of the water was thrown back up by the collapse and formed partial ice blocks connected to the walls in the two ice layers above the stone room. I drained the water out of the stone room until the entire room was 1/7, and observed that bug #667 was occurring- that is, the floor of the room had disappeared even though there was solid rock underneath the water, so what I had was a 1/7 water layer in squares called "open space" even though there was solid rock in the layer underneath the stone room.

Code: [Select]
-----------   Ice Floor at ground level
|   |X|   |   Open ice room with partial ice block
-   ---   -   Ice Floor with gaps
|   |X|   |  Open ice room with partial ice block
-   ---   -   Stone Floor with gaps
|~~~~~~~~~|   Stone Room with 1/7 layer of water
---     --- Stone Floor with gap
|XXXXXXXXX| Solid Stone Layer

Hoping to get more water, I dug out the ice block in the upper ice layer and collapsed the ice block in the lower ice layer into the stone room. At this point, I was bombarded with "A section of the cavern has collapsed!", which made it to x 1243 with no sign of stopping. Turning cave-ins off in init resolved the issue; there were a couple of ice floors that were apparently collapsing into the stone room, which threw up 1/7 layers of water into the ice layer, which froze into ice floors, which collapsed into the stone room, ad infinitum. I believe that the collapse-throw water up-freeze-collapse cycle would probably have continued forever if I hadn't turned cave-ins off.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Collapsing ice wall causes interminable collapse spam
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:01 pm »

Would this not create an infinite supply of water, since a frozen natural wall always generates 7/7 water? Except that that water would have to go somewhere, and I highly doubt you had 1243 empty spaces to accept the newly-created water.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:01 am »

That's just the thing; when I stopped the process by turning off cave ins, it looked like ice floors were being generated instead of frozen walls. The quantity of water did not appear to increase.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:27:44 am »

Ice floor -> 1/7 water -> ice floor, ad infinitum, I'm guessing.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:20:07 pm »

If it didn't cause so much lag and pausing, this might actually have been an awesome bug. Keep your hammerer unconscious forever!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod