Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 50+ Elves in One Place?  (Read 1115 times)

SamuraiMan316

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
50+ Elves in One Place?
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:19:14 pm »

I just got Dwarf Fortress about a week or so ago... and I've had quite a lot of fun with it... but just as I was starting to get bored of the Adventure mode.. I came across a TON of elves when I was given a quest to go kill this one elf in the next town over.

I don't know if this is normal or not, but just in case it wasn't, I figured I'd show it off. Anyway.. I had a pretty decent adventurer so luckily, I don't even have a scratch yet, but the same can't be said for my 5 teamates... they had split up and got swarmed by a dozen ants elves and got strangled/tap-punched to death. Also, as you can see in the pictures, even with all those dead Elves and body parts strewn every where, I still get a dozen more coming at me from who knows where. They seriously must breed like rabbits, or something.. I mean look:

If you take out all those giants and stuff I killed at the top of the list, the entire remainder of the "notable kills" list is just the elves I slaughtered here in this destroyed town. Yea.... anyways, this is the most fun I've had in a while in Adventure mode, so I guess I should enjoy the elf-peasant slaughter while it lasts! Woo! *goes back to playing*

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: 50+ Elves in One Place?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:25:02 pm »

And then you are struck down by a single wooden bolt that pierces both eyes, both ears, your nose, rips out your throat, and bruises your brain.

F**king Elves.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

SamuraiMan316

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »

Okay. After the elf swarm died off after 93 kills, most of which were killed in 1-5 limb-chops, I couldn't find my actual target of the quest... but as I was about to travel away.. I noticed this:

I think I found the source of all those elves... Strange though, that those little "-" elf markers weren't on the map when I entered the town. Also, I didn't even start the fight with the elves, my party, whom I had hired from the town over (where I got the quest), all started attacking first. I assumed they must've been at war or something, and just played along..

P.S. Also, I moved away and went back in, and all of the elves' clothing was scattered all over the place... I was literally wading through clothing as I walked around..

Update:

Okay.. yea.... definitely at war... o.o And just when I ran out of things to do! Good timing elves!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:53:12 pm by SamuraiMan316 »

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:18:59 pm »

Yeah, apparently every dead person in DF gets to go poltergeist while you aren't looking, and throw their crap all over the place.  Obnoxious.  It's especially weird that it happens even when you haven't killed everyone in the area.

I think those lines are people fleeing the town.  It's a little crazy in the first place, seeing as how that's a ruin.  The elves may have been migrating their en masse, and you just happened to crash their welcoming parade.  Well done.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

SamuraiMan316

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:16:41 pm »

Also, that last picture I posted.. the place where I'm standing on the world map was where I was hired, to go kill the elf druid over in the "+" ruin two spaces to the right... but I noticed when I went back to the place that I was hired.. the fleeing elves from the massacre site were now fighting with the people in this town too... though, from the way my allies charged the elves in the ruins in the first place.. I just kinda assumed that this town was at war with them. Also, I think that's why they sent me on an assassination job in the first place. Seems like I just saved them from a 100+ elf assault that was about to charge them from the ruins or something.... almost single-handedly. Boy am I glad that plain 'ol elves are pathetically weak...  ;D

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »

What could of happened was that elves had conquered the human city and turned it into their own, ruins and all. I remember reading once about a moded troll civ that would attack human cities, turned the city into ruins, and then settled in the rooms leading to entire human nations being converted to troll nations.  If this is the case, then most likely the humans were at war with this elf civ and the population in the city might be that the battle was near the very end of world gen so that once conquered, most of the elves settled their and never got a chance to move before world gen ended.  Civs that are at war with other civs will always give missions to kill leaders of the enemy civ, had you gone to the elves first, the druid would have most likely gave you a quest to kill the human king and mayors. 

The many groups you saw around the town was becuase once an adventure goes and kills enough people in a city, the rest of the people in the city begin to flee from city into the surrounding wilds.  I believe that the elves you found in your city when you went back to turn in the quest was actualy from the elves that fled the town and the city which gave the quest happened too be in the way of their flight, making a battle between the fleeing elves and their human enemies.

SamuraiMan316

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:01:46 am »

Yea.. that would explain why those little icons only showed up after the slaughter... and why when I visited those spaces, there was only like one or two elves... which I promptly killed, clearing up the space on the map. Still though, elven "towns" or forest retreats, whatever, seem to have like several times more population than humans or any of the other civilizations. I've noticed that about 90% of them are all plain elf peasants, though. Also worth noting, is that that town/ruin with all the elves had like a big * symbol on the map before the slaughter, and had a + symbol afterwards.. so maybe they did settle there... and I just "evicted" them.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 01:32:01 am »

Well if you haven't looked at battles in legend mode yet, let me just tell you this.  Elves siege in huge numbers.  I don't even know if it is possible to generate that many elves on a map, but elf usually bring around 200 to 1000 units to a battle, and the game, mostly likely not thinking of giving any of those elves actual weapon skills once the game started, decided they should all just be peasants.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:28:27 am »

They just don't like work. They are 90% unemployed and thus don't know how to do anything. They just ZERG their victims and devour corpses, because they don't know how to get food the other way to feed their worthless immortal bodies. I imagine them as a mob of hungry forest bums... Which come to your fortress to trade rags and captured poor animals, because they don't even know how to craft or smelt metals properly... :(
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:22 am »

if you meet a roming elf civ you can have good fun
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:25:09 am »

Ya I've had this happen before, It's when you stop world-gen right before or during a siege, that you can get insane amounts of people all fighting in the same place, I've seen this happen with humans and goblins too, it's really fun and only the "important" poeple in the fight, aka people who have gotten kills before or had a notable position will be carrying weapons or have skills.
Nom nom nom