Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a partial vein reveal mod?  (Read 1062 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a partial vein reveal mod?
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:18:34 am »

I know there's various reveal programs that show everything, but is there one that reveals the entire vein, but only after you've 'struck hematite/cobaltite/etc'?  Clicking 2 or 3 spots at a time is some what bothersome and I'd rather tell them to mine out the whole vein in one go and go off and do something else. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Is there a partial vein reveal mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:02:11 am »

I haven't had a chance to test it out myself but the prospector tool of DF Hack looks like it may be fairly close to what you are after.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:53:52 am »

IIRC some manner of smartmining is going into the next release.

However, if I keep making sourceless claims like that, I'm going to get a bad reputation as a loony...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »

who says you don't already have one ;-)

and i also remember Toady saying something about "smart" mining of veins. I am too lazy to look up the source.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:26:46 pm »

I recall there is a program called something like "for every tile". Propably not compatible with the latest version, but otherwise very powerful tool.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:20:25 pm »

I know that within the installed folder for dwarf companion there are both reveal.exe and revealvein.exe.
I also know that when selecting the entire bottom level for digging and immediately cancelling this enables you to reveal everything the various levels have to offer.
I also seem to recall that when using reveal.exe if you don’t do the above it will only reveal things within the 48*48 tiles you have been digging in.
I am however not entirely sure what happens with revealvein.exe

I have discovered however that when using any of the above tools you might cheat yourself out of various discovery messages like a magma pipe/pool, underground river, HFS (hearsay not personal experience).
If I use the above tools I save my game, reload, start a second df and also reload and compare the 1st (revealed) with the 2nd (not revealed), for veins it might seem a waste of time, but I have used it to prepare myself for my towercap farm which I would never have succeeded so succesfully as now.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:16:09 pm »

The discovery messages... You can use Dtil to rehide a tile and rediscover it to activate the features.