Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DFG win->mac migration tutorial (100% resolved :)  (Read 2965 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
DFG win->mac migration tutorial (100% resolved :)
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:58:52 am »

Ok duders, I need your help. There is a need for a tutorial on transferring the DFG files to a mac/linux version. Unfortunately, I don't have access to either of those systems. So while I can handle the migration to a newer version of winDF, the tutorial I've posted supposedly makes the game crash upon world generation. Could anyone experienced help by writing a proper tutorial for mac and linux?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:07:49 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help writing a DFG migration tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:03:14 am »

I'll give it a try once I'm back home from work (I've migrated the windows version a few times, so I hope not to have too many weird problems), although if someone else is faster, that's cool with me, too ;D

Also, the link you gave to your tutorial is broken. It has an extra http://" and a " at the end that shouldn't be there.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:14:05 am »

Thanks. Looking forward to the results of your endeavour :P
<3

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:22:24 pm »

Hmm, that's weird. I've done it as per the tutorial you posted, and it worked without a hitch (plus it solved me a problem with my windows migrations - I forgot to grab the init color stuff).

I'm going to need more information, if I'm to reproduce the crash thing and try to see if it's due to porting your mod incorrectly. The one thing I can think of is:

step 2.5:  Delete DF/data/objects

This is to make sure DF regenerates the object data from the new raws, and *might* be a cause for DF inestability and weirdness if not done, so unless someone can get me more data on what causes the crash or when it happens (you mentioned worldgen. At any particular step?), that's my best hypothesis.

I was going to say "Sorry I couldn't be of much help", but I can't be sorry that DF didn't crash :P

ETA: Just in case, I want to make clear I used DFG21 and the linux 40d16 from the main page of the 40d16 post. I can't test on a mac, not having one, but for my Ubuntu linux it worked like a charm.

ETA: And a little question, since it's the first time I used DFG21 - I was using DFG18 in 40d14 until now -, is it normal for all the text to have a background colour that's the same as the text, only dimmer? Because it's seriously annoying me, tbh. Any way to turn that off? Nevermind. Just switched from the mayday tileset to maydayMIX, and it cleared up.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:41:30 pm by DeathOfRats »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »

Ah, so the good news is that it works well under linux :)
Can anyone test this on a mac plz?

step 2.5:  Delete DF/data/objects
Didn't think of this. Might be worth a try.
<3

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help writing a DFG win->mac migration tutorial?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »

Yep. It's something I do everytime I change the raws, just in case.

Also, just wanted to take this chance to thank you for your work in this :) I learned to play DF on a DF with your tileset, so now it's kinda weird to play without. And I like the diagonal walls thing. I think I'm going to make an octagonal fort next ;D

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:08:22 pm »

Thanks for making this Mayday (Can I call ya Mike?). The crash seems to be random. It's like your tileset overloads it. Some of the tiles even stopped working  :'( . I'm gonna try some different stuff too. "dFmaCexP1" Is what I'll call my first try, any programs for app examination that you know about? So that I can get info on reaction time and stuff.
 I'm just a website designer, sorry if I can't be considered a real techie. ::)
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »

Thanks for making this Mayday (Can I call ya Mike?). The crash seems to be random. It's like your tileset overloads it. Some of the tiles even stopped working  :'( . I'm gonna try some different stuff too. "dFmaCexP1" Is what I'll call my first try, any programs for app examination that you know about? So that I can get info on reaction time and stuff.
 I'm just a website designer, sorry if I can't be considered a real techie. ::)

Hope you don't mind me butting in.

Did you try deleting the data/objects folder before running DF? It'll be regenerated from the raws the next time you run DF, but if it's not deleted it might contain stuff from the unchanged raws, and screw things up.

Could you upload a copy of the folder that crashes? That way we can see if it crashes in other computers, too. Also, is it on mac? On linux?

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:59:42 am »

What's the problem? It's easy as hell to move DFG to Mac, if you want Mike i can write it.

EDIT: Nwm, you already have decent tutorial on your homepage.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:04:09 am by Kiberkiller »
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:24:05 am »

Yeah, turns out Darkond was using 40d instead of 40d16. Sorry for the troulez;)
<3

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFG win->mac migration tutorial (Resolved!) (Rejoice!) (Restrain!)
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 04:04:37 am »

Yay!

Glad to hear the issue's solved *rejoices*

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 02:45:51 pm »

Ok, so not really.
Darkond downloaded the 40d16 for OSX and he says it contains an exe file which he can't run.
<3

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 05:38:33 pm »

Ok, so not really.
Darkond downloaded the 40d16 for OSX and he says it contains an exe file which he can't run.

Well, he should read more carefully.  The file contains a Unix Executable called 'df' that he needs to run.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFG win->mac migration tutorial (not really resolved :(
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 09:14:28 pm »

I ran through your instructions with a clean d16 and it all looks good.

But yes, mac/linux folk need to run the 'df' script, not the dwarfort.exe. Maybe there is a good way to make it more mac-like. For those that don't know the nature of 'what lies beneath' :)
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: DFG win->mac migration tutorial (not really resolved :(
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 02:07:24 am »

Thanks guys! I hope this concludes the topic :)
<3
Pages: [1] 2