Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?  (Read 2984 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »

Right, and corkscrews don't need to be terribly pointy or sharp anyhow.

Thanks for spotting that, by the way.

Training wouldn't be the only application of a wooden weapon like I mentioned in my similar suggestion, stone age style technology and weapons would be very cool, possibly even create a new layer of mythology to help seperate the DF dorf from the Tolkien dwarf

Stone age people didn't make sharp wooden swords or axes. I don't see the reason to make a wooden club unless it's extremely crude, either. It was called the "stone age" for a reason. Wooden spears, sure, but any dwarf who's not a complete moron will add a stone tip.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 07:25:09 pm »

Stone age people didn't make sharp wooden swords or axes. I don't see the reason to make a wooden club unless it's extremely crude, either.  It was called the "stone age" for a reason. Wooden spears, sure, but any dwarf who's not a complete moron will add a stone tip.

The reason it's called the "stone age" is because they didn't have metalworking, not because stone was their material of choice for everything.  Stone is abysmal for clubs.  At best you can use it as a mace head, and even then it'll shatter easily.  Wooden clubs stayed popular for uses as diverse as war, hunting, brawling and policing long after stone-headed maces were a relic.

Anyway, wasn't this discussion about training weapons?  The appropriateness of wooden training weapons is beyond dispute -- of course it won't feel the same as a metal sword, but people who used swords for a living evidently found uses for wooden ones.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:34:21 pm by Footkerchief »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 08:11:45 pm »

Yeah, I mentioned wooden clubs, but like I said, they certainly weren't making axes and swords.

The issue here is that people are conflating "wooden weapons" with "training weapons". The game currently doesn't model training weapons. All the weapons it models right now are for actual use. The wooden swords aren't practice swords.

So, I can see dwarves making wooden practice weapons in a pinch (even if it's not their first choice), but not weapons for actual wartime use.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Goblin Macelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 04:24:02 am »

Yeah, I mentioned wooden clubs, but like I said, they certainly weren't making axes and swords.

The issue here is that people are conflating "wooden weapons" with "training weapons". The game currently doesn't model training weapons. All the weapons it models right now are for actual use. The wooden swords aren't practice swords.

So, I can see dwarves making wooden practice weapons in a pinch (even if it's not their first choice), but not weapons for actual wartime use.
Hell yahh! Thats the staff I was thinking about. If Dwarf are so stubborn to make weapon, even training, from wood WHY THEY CAN`T MAKE TRAINIG WEAPONS FROM METAL?
Goblins! They don’t drink booze, eating bones, killing dwarfs, shaving beards and simply looks cool! Yes, Goblins are awesome!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 11:59:57 am »

Yeah, that's the real issue at hand, the lack of training weapons in general.

However, I don't think it's going to be quite as necessary in the next version anyhow, since sparring and training is getting updated.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 12:07:34 pm »

Yeah, that's the real issue at hand, the lack of training weapons in general.

However, I don't think it's going to be quite as necessary in the next version anyhow, since sparring and training is getting updated.

That's the long and short of it... training isn't working as intended.  New features or design changes to cover for bugs that are being fixed is... incorrect

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:52 pm »

WHY THEY CAN`T MAKE TRAINIG WEAPONS FROM METAL?

Why would they want to?

that's the real issue at hand, the lack of training weapons in general

Is it?

To me the issue of training weapons is something that needs to go in by the time weapons and armor can wear and tear. You don't want to be training with your good sword and bashing your good armor unless you can reliably maintain it.

The idea I usually get from other people is they just don't want training injuries/fatalities or at least not at the same extent it was before. Which for the most part has been fixed for the next release with bone structure, trainers, and medicine.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:47:18 pm by Neonivek »

Goblin Macelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »

WHY THEY CAN`T MAKE TRAINIG WEAPONS FROM METAL?

Why would they want to?

And why not? Trainig weapons are widely used.
Goblins! They don’t drink booze, eating bones, killing dwarfs, shaving beards and simply looks cool! Yes, Goblins are awesome!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 08:47:40 pm »

And why not? Trainig weapons are widely used.

Indeed Training weapons are widely used. However they are usually actual weapons, not Replica.

Training swords in Epee Fencing have a safety cap but are otherwise real (In fact you could take off the safety cap and kill someone with it).

Proper training weapons in my mind would be a designation on a set of weapon that the Dwarves will minimally maintain. (Or in some peircing weapon's cases. They may cover the sharp end)

As well this applies to Training armor.

As for cultures who used wooden swords. There are very good reasons for it that don't apply to Dwarves.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 09:17:07 pm »

As for cultures who used wooden swords. There are very good reasons for it that don't apply to Dwarves.

What reasons are those?  They were used by a pretty broad range of cultures.

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 05:31:45 am »

I do support that Dwarves should be able to make all manner of weapons out of Wood and some weapons out of bone.

But, I think melee weapons made out of these should provide an unhappy thought.  With metals being common in dwarven society, they should see wooden weapons as being made of an inferior and cheap material  (Which it is).  This is why Silver Weapons would be preferred.

This should apply to melee weapons that could be made out of metal instead, so if wood was the only thing you could make a Quarterstaff out of, then it wouldn't provide an unhappy thought.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 05:33:39 am »

^^^ Now THAT I can get behind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:21 pm »

What reasons are those?  They were used by a pretty broad range of cultures.

It usually is between Price, Law, Covert, and Esoterics.
-Price: Metal or Weapons are too expencive
-Law: Metal Weapons are outlawed or specific weapons.
-Covert: Learning to fight with a wooden version of a weapon because it can be more easily hidden. Often combined with Law
-Esoterics: Experiementation

I think melee weapons made out of these should provide an unhappy thought.  With metals being common in dwarven society, they should see wooden weapons as being made of an inferior and cheap material  (Which it is).  This is why Silver Weapons would be preferred

I don't know. Should Dwarves even recognise a wooden sword as a weapon? Metal is very common for Dwarves. Giving Dwarves Wooden Sword is a signal that you are expecting them to die.

Simple Unhappyness makes more sense for Copper weaponry or weapons of bad quality.

Heck concievably an unusually utilitarian Dwarf could get bad thoughts from Silver weapons.

The exception though would probably be a VERY high quality wood that isn't a sacrifice at all. Balsa Wood and the Dwarves should be ready to Anex the Kingdom.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:04:11 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 05:31:38 pm »

-Price: Metal or Weapons are too expencive

That one seems like it could definitely apply to dwarves.  Some maps don't have easy-to-find metal, and metal weapons from the caravan are expensive.

The exception though would probably be a VERY high quality wood that isn't a sacrifice at all. Balsa Wood and the Dwarves should be ready to Anex the Kingdom.

Haha, that's a good point too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 05:48:44 pm »

That one seems like it could definitely apply to dwarves.  Some maps don't have easy-to-find metal, and metal weapons from the caravan are expensive

Personally that would be interesting if the Dwarves could adjust to situational changes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:56:16 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4