Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?  (Read 2992 times)

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:54:41 pm »

why do i have to wait and hope on the stupid elves to bring me some good training weapons?

is it possible to change it so that dwarves can construct wooden weapons?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:31:41 pm »

Because they have a sense of dignity.

If you want proper training weapons, use silver.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:36:09 am »

ha ha!  fair enough!

but, it seems like a waste of silver and plus it doesn't really make sense that they can't.  we can make giant spiked wooden balls but not practice weapons?  also, dwarves are capable of using elven wooden weapons, weapons touched by those dirty cannibals.  surely that is worse than making a nice club to bash urist's head open with.  i mean... to spar with urist.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:37:23 am »

Oh, it makes sense. Dwarves consider using wood in the manner which elves do unthinkable except in specific circumstances.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:22 am »

Wooden weapons would make sense aka: no more dead recruits.

But wood is for ELVES!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 06:04:16 am »

Wooden weapons make sense 'till one understands that dwarves only know how to forge and hammer things into weapons. So Imagine a dwarf attempting a training weapon would throw it in a fire for a little but and then hammer on the ashes.
 But yeah, hopefully this will be overhauled sometime in the future. Likely when Toady gets to work finishing the military arc.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Goblin Macelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:17:47 am »

Wooden weapons sounds OK for dwarfs. Simple clubs for selfdefence, or stone hammers (better then nothng). I think that only trouble that Toady only one to do the staff.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:19:49 am by Goblin Macelord »
Goblins! They don’t drink booze, eating bones, killing dwarfs, shaving beards and simply looks cool! Yes, Goblins are awesome!

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 07:47:42 am »

Wooden weapons make sense 'till one understands that dwarves only know how to forge and hammer things into weapons. So Imagine a dwarf attempting a training weapon would throw it in a fire for a little but and then hammer on the ashes.
Good point.

But shouldn't dwarves be at least able to deliberately produce a blunted training weapon made of a normal metal?  From the player's perspective, this would be just as good as silver or wood.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:35:20 am »

stone clubs,stone headed spears
wooden spears
stone tiped bolts
a tip with stone job at the crafters that add stone tips to wooden bolt,spears and so on
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:34:54 am »

Dwarves know how to make wooden spiked balls and serrated discs, how to carve wooden pipes and functional wooden corkscrews, how to carve long wooden spikes (which are very similar to spears) and how to make every piece of furniture out of wood. There's no good reason why they can't make decent wooden weapons. I mean for gods sake, a wooden mace is about as simple as it gets (omg, a heavy stick!), and since df spears only stab there is no functional difference between a javelin and a spear except the weighted end.

Every race should be allowed to make wooden gear. Elvish wooden gear should be harder than the other races wooden gear, Threetoe's stories even allude to this (in one story the elf queen has a wooden sword that was as hard as steel). This might actually make the elves almost viable trading partners for weapons and animals, even moreso if they can develop past the wood age and enter into trade agreements.

I know elvish hatred is very strong on these boards, but honestly I'd like to see the elves be welcome trading partners for at least a year or two. Especially if the economy arc is developed to where it's actually interesting instead of mass producing dolomite mugs, having three races to trade with would be fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:47:35 am »

Wooden weapons would make sense aka: no more dead recruits.

But wood is for ELVES!

And dead recruits are for dwarves!!!  Seriously... Want to be in the army?  Prove you can take a blow...  Better to end up with a sprained back on the training floor than dead on the battlefield where it'll get your friend's killed as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:37:54 am »

It isn't that they couldn't make wooden weapons it is that wooden weapons for dwarves would be toys.

Club is alright though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:24:00 am »

Dwarves know how to make wooden spiked balls and serrated discs, how to carve wooden pipes and functional wooden corkscrews, how to carve long wooden spikes (which are very similar to spears) and how to make every piece of furniture out of wood. There's no good reason why they can't make decent wooden weapons. I mean for gods sake, a wooden mace is about as simple as it gets (omg, a heavy stick!), and since df spears only stab there is no functional difference between a javelin and a spear except the weighted end.

You're forgetting that wooden weapons in DF AREN'T the kind of training weapons you're thinking of.

In DF terms, a wooden sword isn't a blunted training weapon. It's a fully-functional sword with a sharp edge. Same with the other weapons. It requires the kind of skill dwarves just might not have, or care to have.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:26 am »

if they can make giant axe blades out of wood then i think they would have the knowledge to make some just a little smaller.  and dwarves may not be the most intelligent at times, i am pretty sure they wouldn't try to make a wooden sword the same way they make a metal sword.  i think the "fire bad, wood burn" concept is within the grasp of most dwarves.

has toady ever explained why dwarves can't make wooden weapons?  i get the feeling it is more of a programming issue rather than whether or not dwarves can, can't, or don't care to make wooden weapons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »

i get the feeling it is more of a programming issue

No because even now people can mod in wooden weapons (to my knowledge)

To me it is a cultural issue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4