Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarfs need fresh air too... Don't they?  (Read 4739 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs need fresh air too... Don't they?
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

It just occurred to me that there is very little fresh air reaching the depths of your fortress.

At some point is or will air ventilation system be made. As to supply people with fresh air?

Open areas could have a 7/7 fresh air rating. As dwarfs use up air this fresh air rating drops.

The only bad thing to there not being fresh air is that your dwarfs would become unhappy.

It wouldn't be fun if they actually ran out of air and all died.

But then again that could be a good feature.

Think of this, Having a opening to the surface will allow all tiles in your fort to not drop below 1/7 fresh air.

However if you close up your fort, like in a siege, that can then drop to 0/7 which would mean everyone would suffocate if they don't open the doors.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

King Cassius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs need fresh air too... Don't they?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

Well, it would be cool to make suffocation traps.  :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

Oh goody, more flows.

Well, can't say I haven't wondered the same thing.  It will probably be added in at some point, and I won't argue its addition.

I will, however, say that dwarves should like being underground more than other creatures, and would thus be able to tolerate stagnant cave-air more than others.  Perhaps cave adaptation could lead to higher tolerance levels, thus turning it into a potential bonus instead of just a hazard?

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Oh goody, more flows.

Well, can't say I haven't wondered the same thing.  It will probably be added in at some point, and I won't argue its addition.

I will, however, say that dwarves should like being underground more than other creatures, and would thus be able to tolerate stagnant cave-air more than others.  Perhaps cave adaptation could lead to higher tolerance levels, thus turning it into a potential bonus instead of just a hazard?</STRONG>

Well i think they could tolerate it better yes. But i don't think they like having little Oxygen to breath. We all need fresh air, even if we can tolerate some not so fresh air.

*also magma should increase oxygen / fresh air consumption*

Having a good working magma forge might mean having a air duck near or connected too it.... ?

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

An air duck? What, to amuse them?
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

Perhaps special spores or fungi process carbodioxide and other waste gases?
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

I personally like the idea of making it possible to suffocate the little bastards. I would say that in general that in general it should probably be pretty hard to accomplish unless you either intentionally do it or have a lot of fires burning.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

I don't like it. It adds another burden to the engine, it prevents you from making epic fortresses without additional hassles, and there's no way that dwarves without modern ventilation systems could deal with the problem. It would be better off just being ignored.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

Besides, the race of earth and stone does not need fresh air. Bah! A mug o' stout and the heat of the forge is all the dwarves need!

For humans, that combination would be a bad idea, if not fatal.

Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 03:53:00 am »

I've acutally been thinking this myself, and went through the trouble of designing something that would prolly work IRL.

idea was to use the magma and channel air through it. either by building a pumpsystem around the air vent, or by using water and go through the magma.

this is done at the exhale point in the bottom of you fort. So fresh air goes in at the top, preferably through a separate intake to avoid death if one closes the doors (and also because the air inflow through the maingates would be cumbersome IRL), and at the bottom level of the fort the stagnant air is heated up through the magma and thus proppelled back up through a separate air vent. The heated air naturally reaching higher through the vent would create suction through out the enitre fort, thus replacing air over the entire fort.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Actually I just saw a few animal suffocation deaths the other day, as in "The stray puppy (tame) has suffocated."  I have no idea how or where it happened.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

I have to agree with Cosmonot, It would add a lot of complications and extra tunnels floating around the place not to mention more pressure on the engine.

The idea however is a good one, if we could just alter it to fit with current issues fortresses have-

Preventing Miasma for example, so you can build a shaft to the surface, link up some kind of extraction fan that is only activated to clear the miasma and then deactivated again.

Another issue it could help is the furnaces, at the minute these don't produce any smoke! So, if we make all the furnaces produce smoke which billows out of the furnace room unless you have a channel leading directly to the surface to act as a chimney. You could even allow thief's to sneak in though it unless there is a grill over it.

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 11:21:00 am »

How do you propose to model air without making an already laggy game unbearable? Using something like the current water system is right out, as this is a major source of lag.

I can't see a feasible way to do this. Or even a reason to. You ever heard a dwarf in a fantasy novel discuss how they get air to their underground cities?

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Footkerchief:
<STRONG>Actually I just saw a few animal suffocation deaths the other day, as in "The stray puppy (tame) has suffocated."  I have no idea how or where it happened.</STRONG>

This usually means it got a severe throat or lung injury.  Probably got in a fight with a wild animal.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Goodfuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

While the problem of needing air to breath is valid (they can suffocate from a throat injury, but not from being locked in a small room for too long), it would probably make the game run slow.

Though I do like the air duck idea. If they kept getting away you could just keep them in place with some duck tape.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4