Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Discussion: Mafia Subforum Policies  (Read 12712 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Mafia Subforum Policies
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »

It might be a good idea to put forth some guidelines for the moderators of mafia games. Specifically:

1.) Please try and limit it to 2 simultaneous games in the sign-up phase at a time. Please try and limit it to 8 simultaneous active games at a time, including sign-up phase games, games in the night phase, and games in the day phase.

2.) Try and keep the number of players in the low teens, although having more for CERTAIN games is ok.

3.) You have to be serious about this. Give specific times to end the days/nights and stick to those times, unless the players vote for a shortening/you get all the night actions.

4.) Think through your game. Think about what the players would do in your game. Is it conceivably possible for any particular player to win? Are there any overpowered roles? Do the town and the mafia have roughly equal power?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 04:26:06 pm »

guess i will go with the flow but i refuse to be thought of as a noob :P after these rules go in i have been in... vote 2
beginners 2 (and won for a change :) )
DF mafia 1
religious 2
toon 2

and a few i forget right off the bat but i can track my improvement through these ... and its a big change... :)

guess what i'm try to say is that everyone takes a while to learn the game...
Back to Mafia with me!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 04:49:25 pm »

Fine fine fine. Maybe no official scores (Perhaps unofficial...), but I'd rather people knew who was flaking and who was participating.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 05:56:43 pm »

I think we should track dropouts....
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 01:55:17 am »

In the Toon mafias, I've been participating, and I've limited myself to 1 or 2 games at a time. I don't have internet access at home and I don't go to a school (Distance Ed student), so I am only on in the evenings and most Saturdays. I'm also staying away from the really serious mafias like Paranormal because I get discouraged by people taking games too seriously.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2009, 05:02:32 am »

How exactly would karma work again? Somebody in a thread is just keeping track of how much people excessively lurk?

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »

So, are we just waiting for a volunteer to start the thread? Are we all agreed?

Also, I think logistically we should start keeping track as-of the creation of the thread, nobody should have to do any digging to find leavers.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 05:12:39 pm »

I think we're still arguing some, and I'd like to wait a tiny bit longer just to make sure that all the inflammatory arguments are settled.  I'll write a summary of what we've discussed on either Saturday or Friday night (midterms coming up fast to beat me in the face), and if everyone is in agreement I'll make the new thread as well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2009, 01:56:15 am »

One thing I will add: I don't believe active lurking should take a karma hit.. at least not a heavy one.

If a player is actually active in the game but purposely not posting to lie low then it IS a strategy, if an anti-town one.  Strategy should be controlled by the player's actions (i.e. lynch em) except for VERY extreme circumstances (i.e. they didn't post from day 1-day 3 :P).

Currently, when someone seems inactive, I send a PM to them with a message saying that if they are active lurking to just send a PM back.  I also inform the players if all of the players are active (to suggest that the 'hidden' player is activelurking). 

If the host has to regularly PM to prove activity then it's a call for a karma hit.  Otherwise, it should be mostly for flaking or perhaps ragequits.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 02:10:08 am »

Define active...

You can't ban lurkers just for doing it... you should ban people who won't play the game to it's very end.  People who doesn't try to make their team win. 

People who flake or lurk because they dont want to play and dont ask for a replacement are the ones who should be banned.  Not those who do it strategically.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 02:14:06 am »

If a player is actually active in the game but purposely not posting to lie low then it IS a strategy, if an anti-town one.

People who flake or lurk because they dont want to play and dont ask for a replacement are the ones who should be banned.  Not those who do it strategically.

... Didn't you two just say the same thing?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 02:21:31 am »

we did... but if I say:
"I agree with Dakarian"
you'll probably lynch me for not having my own opinion :P or eventually think that we must be scum together...  ::)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 02:32:20 am »

No, I'll lynch you for taking up unnecessary space in the board and making me confused as hell.

Anyway, I'm glad you two agree and it seems that we should be able to come up with some sort of consensus soon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 02:15:38 pm »

So, there's one more thing I realized.

We've addressed games dying during the day phase, but seem to have completely forgotten games that die at night.  It also becomes difficult to find out whether the mod abandoned them or not, because the thread is locked.

As such, I have a suggestion: hard limits on night lengths, with a maximum length of 48 hours.  Generally run the length at 24 hours, but if someone fails to send in a night role administer a prod.  Then give them 24 hours, and that's it.

If the town can No Lynch thanks to bickering right before deadline, why shouldn't the scum lose their night kill when they're too lazy to send it in on time?  It seems only reasonable.

Anyway, please let me know if you think this is a good idea or not.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 02:19:38 pm »

That's more or less what I do if someone hasn't sent in a night action.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6