Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Discussion: Mafia Subforum Policies  (Read 12711 times)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Mafia Subforum Policies
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 03:24:03 am »

I like the idea of Karma.  I would look towards having a higher karma requirement for more experimental/beta games while the more basic ones take lower amounts (perhaps a Plain Old that shows up that accepts negative karma). 

As for limits.. size limits in games might be the best bet.  While it means flakers cause more damage, they also get more noticed and, thus, easier to replace and punish. 

The question.. what would that size limit be?
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 10:50:49 am »

Depends on the game. Flakers hurt a game like Vote Mafia more then, say, Paranormal simply due to the nature of the roles. Paranormal works well with lots of players, since you have duplicates of roles and roles that perform somewhat similar functions and so on. Vote Mafia has no duplicate roles and some roles make for very bad flakers (like high-vote roles).

So, I'm fine with Paranormal being Large (16-18 players actually works, even with the odd flaker), while other games may need to be limited to active players only. Wizard Duel, for example, would probably be hurt more by flakers then most, so I'll probably restrict who can join that in the future.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:31 am »

Vector... When I made the Replacement Thread I did it because I wanted to be able to get replacements in mafia games...

But as there weren't as much mafia games as there are now and it wasn't that hard to help other Forum Games I just made it a general replacement thread.
Quote from: Alexhans
I made this mainly thinking about mafia but I realized that it can be useful for a lot more games.

So far (Since May 13) it has not have much success, as far as I know, with non-mafia games so if you really thought that it was necessary I could just move it inside the mafia sub-forum and forget about non-mafia games.

But it would be futile for me to have a non-mafia replacement thread when that was the main reason for making said thread.
Quote from: Meph
It's possible that some people like to play mafias but just don't have the time to actually get on and post every day. It might be useful to have a game that has longer then usual day/night periods and a more sedate pace then our usual 2-3 real day per phase games.
I've been saying this since the first paranormals...
Quote from: Vector
I agree with the small games, but I'm worried that days going that long would completely kill activity.
And that's why hammers exist!!!

If there's an agreement on who to lynch enough people will vote to get a hammer.  Else, people will keep discussing until deadline.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:42:09 am »

I dunno, having a 5 day game could just mean that all your players have forgotten about it during that time (and the problem would be more pronounced after a long night phase too).  The main reason I join quite a few games is simple - I end up dead fairly quickly most of the time.  If I only join, say, one game, and I get NK'd night one, I then don't have any games to play (currently in Quantum and Weirdo as a living player).

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 12:56:03 pm »

If we do wind up with a "Karma" system, then Beginner Mafia should totally have a Karma maximum of like 5. Only like 2 people with over 5 karma can join. That sounds right, yes?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »

I like the Karma system as well. I also agree with the semi-ban idea before a perma-ban. I have given my reasons for not having constant access to a computer before Wabadict, and I specifically directed these reasons at you. Please stop with your insistence of me being punished for it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »

I like the Karma system as well. I also agree with the semi-ban idea before a perma-ban. I have given my reasons for not having constant access to a computer before Wabadict, and I specifically directed these reasons at you. Please stop with your insistence of me being punished for it.
Yeah well... sometimes I get angry at you. But I suppose I can get over it. You're doing well now.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »

Should we start a new system for Karma then? Perhaps we can keep it on the first page of this thread?

I'd be up for giving everyone 0 for now and a point for every game they play or replace in, no points for needing a replacement, and negative a point for leaving a game without cause. There could be more chances for gaining or losing points as well.

Heck, we could even keep a win/lose record.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 02:59:38 pm »

I don't mind having a win/ lose record, but it shouldn't affect karma at all.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 03:07:16 pm »

I don't mind having a win/ lose record, but it shouldn't affect karma at all.
Well yeah. I just meant keep them together. We could keep a list of things like that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 03:11:10 pm »

No, it shouldn't, and I'd also like to keep a formal win/lose record out of this.  If you want to keep track of your statistics, Webadict, you can do so for yourself--but otherwise, I think it will serve to divide the members of the forum more than is necessary.  The point of Mafia is not a long-standing competition to see who wins most.  The point is to have fun, above all else.  If you have fun by winning, and winning a lot, that's good.  It shouldn't be at the cost of informing others exactly how superior you are to them.

Essentially, I think something like that would become a sort of "psychological barrier to entry."  I also think we should stop keeping track of karma after 10 points.  There would be no purpose to it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 03:18:34 pm »

Hmm... my record, if I remember correctly:

Vote Mafia 1 - Subbed in on last day lylo as town, won
Vote Mafia 2 - won
Time Travel Mafia - won
Weirdo Mafia - lost, abysmally
Religion Mafia 2 - lost, due to my own incompetance
Super Lyncher Mafia - hiatus'd

I think that's it.  Not great, especially since I had nothing to do with the win in Vote Mafia 2 or Time Travel Mafia.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 03:49:02 pm »

I don't like rotation ideas.  People can decide themselves if they can play.  Although, that's the problem, eh?  Karma system sounds ok.  I'm not really in favor of it, but I don't oppose it either.

I must post my record later, it just reeks with awesome Town loses!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 03:55:42 pm »

I dunno, you won Para 6 (or was it 7?) and actually got a scum player.  True, you got yourself lynched and made another towny RAGEQUIT, but...

As far as I can tell, Servant Corps was hoping you'd take out a couple of townies for him :P.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 04:10:50 pm »

I think that longer day cycles may not do much good but I don't object to there being a specific mafia for that reason.

As for Karma, I'm all for some sort of system to encourage flakes to participate. And yes, a Win/Loss record, especially next to the Karma record, would be way too unwelcoming and divisionary. Im pretty sure that this subforum is not some great big contest, and I would object to it going in that direction. If you want to personally keep track of it for bragging rights be my guest, but we shouldn't do anything to make it look official.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6