Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: I need a hobby.  (Read 5933 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: I need a hobby.
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2009, 12:46:02 pm »

Quite a lot, most of the weekend.

At the moment now though, convertin' and paintin' some warhammer models has captivated me.

It is glorious.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2009, 03:08:30 am »

Blah, Parkour was around before it was cool... it will be uncool again, and then it will become cool because nobody knows what it is... the cycle of popularity.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2009, 09:02:04 pm »

Like every single other cool hobby. People stop listening to certain types of music because it becomes too "mainstream". People have even stopped playing 40k tabletop because it was too popular, and are now starting it up again.
Thus is the curse of the Niche hobby.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:24 am »

Like every single other cool hobby. People stop listening to certain types of music because it becomes too "mainstream". People have even stopped playing 40k tabletop because it was too popular, and are now starting it up again.
Thus is the curse of the Niche hobby.
The difference being that Games Workshop is considered akin to the "Microsoft of the Tabletop Wargaming World" to a large majority of wargamers (with disproportionate pricing to match), and as such there will always be large number (I know a friend who insists it's a silent majority) of self-styled Real Gamers who would never, ever consider anything GW to be Cool ever again (even those of them who started off with Traveller, or one of the other early adoptions).

Obviously, it's a big 'standard', (compared with all those other numerous gaming systems, e.g. DBA/DBM, and the nearly infinite number of scenarios from prehistory, through ancient and modern history to modern day and, wherever you might place them fantasy-past, present and futures of various kinds technological and/or magical) and the shops are not so much the "little pokey bookshop" kind that you might go to for reasonably priced flock or stranded grass, 'lichen', 1/300th scale waterloo figures, 1/25th WWII vehicles, role-playing guides and whatavyer.  Which is yet another reason to compare them to MS.

Personally, I play 40K, but they're not my figures.  I turn up every week and we may be playing a 40K campaign, of sorts (in 'our' universe, the Squats are still around), or then again it could be one of the many other systems.  Every now and then we try a homegrown WWI trench warfare game, and every time it ends up as a "slaughtered in our hundreds of thousands" scenario, regardless of how we rijig the rules...  which probably proves something about the nature of attacking "their trench" by climbing out of "your trench" and advancing across No Man's Land.  But most games are not as predictable as that.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 04:21:50 pm »

DnD.
Awesome fun with good players and a good DM with a good game universe and more improvising than an extended prog rock concert.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 04:28:45 pm »

Already do :P

To an extent at least, unfortunately there arent many players near me, so i have just to read the lore and Min-Max and shit, i used to run a capaign, but it died due to bad planning...

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:59 pm »

I think a natural suggestion is to get into robotics, you're already learning C++ which is great.

check this little gem out:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-f2013.html

this low power micro controller can run for several YEARS on just two AA batteries. the target board ( the brains of your robot) only cost 4$ each and are easily programmed in C via the USB stick linked above.

the skys the limit for these things, right now im using a more robust version for my 4th year design project at my engineering school and should have a marketable product by late next year.

the only additional skills you will need to pick up is some soldering and technical document reading to figure out what components do, but I'm willing to help you out with whatever questions you have.

tl;dr you can make a basic robot with a distance sensor so that it drives away from you for about 15$ add about 30$ one time for the programmer, and 20+ for soldering gear.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2009, 06:05:44 am »

Y'know, i've often contemplated creating a little robot...

Obviously it'd be modelled after a chair, it just HAS to happen.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2009, 12:17:04 am »

Read up on physics, astrophysics in particular. I just LOVE reading and learning about it, space, and survival in space. As a matter of fact i plan on being  Astrophysicist.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2009, 08:31:26 am »

Hehehe.
I also want to be a physicist.
However, theoretical physics, in fact. Or at least nuclear :P

Also...
Damn, I want to make a robot!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2009, 08:42:18 am »

Theoretical physics and robotics are surprisingly boring. Once you start taking control systems, you'll know why I say so :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:09 am »

Coming up with interesting solutions to problems is what makes it interesting, like any project if you make something boring then its going to be boring. I made a little robot with a basic motion sensor and buzzer, if it sees something move nearby it screams and tries to run away :D

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:12:29 am by buman »

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2009, 10:37:08 pm »

Anything that needs lots of thought, try economy or goverment. I personaly am a junior communist, it's fun and challenging to think up situations. Learn about stocks, or master minipulation

Hey, communism unfortunately has a bad image. Stalin's and Mao's fault, though.
Oh, and the fact that it plain doesn't work and all the communist leaders ever have been bloodthirsty lunatics.

Have you seen China lately? I'd hardly say democracy works.

As for the topic, maybe model houses? We have a class at my high school where you design a house on the computer following legal restrictions and then build them on a small scale, it actually looks like a lot of fun.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2009, 01:39:37 pm »

Anything that needs lots of thought, try economy or goverment. I personaly am a junior communist, it's fun and challenging to think up situations. Learn about stocks, or master minipulation

Hey, communism unfortunately has a bad image. Stalin's and Mao's fault, though.
Oh, and the fact that it plain doesn't work and all the communist leaders ever have been bloodthirsty lunatics.

Have you seen China lately? I'd hardly say democracy works.

Because China is a really wonderful example of democracy.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]