• View Profile
-
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:33:38 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:20:11 pm by Stany »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've been supporting the wrong side.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:45:08 pm »

Well, I'm horribly sleep-deprived, and I now all of nothing about government, so just let me try to get this straight.

You are doubting whether you want to support the right-wing because other people are starting to dislike them?

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:25 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:20:36 pm by Stany »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:58 pm »

Just support the left instead if you want to.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:49:44 pm »

Personally, I consider myself a Third-Wing sort of guy.

I say we eliminate poverty by eliminating the underlying problem:

The poor.

Preferably with napalm.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:52:12 pm »

one of us... one of us... one of us...

You'll like being on the side that supports funding public education, providing health care to those who can't afford it, keeping the environment clean, and not letting corporations dictate the rules of business.

Speaking seriously though, you raise an interesting dichotomy.  The "Right" in America vehemently opposes government-provided or sponsored welfare, on the grounds that society can and should provide for it's own unfortunate.  Or at least gives lipservice to the idea, since they never provide an answer to why there's still a percieved need for more charity that never gets provided.  Except maybe that people are taxed too much to give to charity or something equally inane.

We on the "Left" on the other hand, are ironically labeled the "good guys" for wanting the government to step up to the 'charity' plate, precisely because we don't trust human nature enough to expect society to take care of it's own out of pocket.  Or rather, we take the more nuanced view that most people simply can't afford to give out much themselves.  If I were being vindictive (and I always am), I would say it's because we assert that the Right shoots it's own rhetoric in the foot by allowing the already wealthy to horde more wealth, despite provably not giving a damn about the underprivileged by and large, so there's just not enough money to go around for everyone at the bottom.

This has been Aqizzar, your guide to cynical liberalism.  If you'd like to know more, please take a pamphlet on your way out.  Join us later for our symposium - "How Libertarian-Aligned Conservatives Are Restricting Your Personal Life More Than The ACLU Ever Will."

Fuck I had to edit that a lot.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:54:45 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:56:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:21:11 pm by Stany »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 12:59:31 pm »

Hence the "cynical" part.  The way I interpret it, the Right likes to design laws and rules for a perfect world, expecting that if the world is treated like it's perfect, it will become so.  (Or at least pretends to, I've got a lot of other theories.)  The Left recognizes that the world is not perfect, never will be, and sometimes people lose out through no fault of their own.  And even if it is their own fault, that doesn't mean they're beyond consideration of helping out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »

I don't think I'll ever be able to look at the word "symposium" again without thinking about the original Greek meaning.

On the subject matter, I really can't help out that much.  I tend to take things on a per-issue basis, and can't say whether or not my beliefs can lump me into one group or another.

My dad's a Libertarian though.  Make of that what you will.

I do, however, greatly enjoy picturing the Left-Right dichotomy as a bunch of Aging Hippies vs. a bunch of Ignorant Rednecks.  It just gives the whole thing a sense of equal stupidity that I think embodies true American values.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 01:20:28 pm »

individualism
Do you also run over red lights because you believe that they encroach on you freedom to drive when you want to?

Or do you allow a piece of junk with lights on it to tell you when you can drive?

The poor would depend on the kindness of others rather than an overbearing government. the kindness of others.

WTF mate?
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:22:00 pm by Stany »

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 01:29:12 pm »

I've always considered myself a supporter of the right-wing. I'm not a fan of racism or fascism. My belief in the right lies squarely in supporting individualism and the reduction of a centralised government. Recently however, I've started to have doubts. The right seems to be the side everyone hates, everyone sees them as heartless bastards who hate the poor. I'm not a horrible person, I give to charity and I believe charity is something that can function very well in a right-wing society as long as it isn't government controlled. The poor would depend on the kindness of others rather than an overbearing government. Sometimes I wonder why I don't just support the left, they're always depicted as the kind caring ones. What do you all think?
Im myself very left-wing and liberal. Right-wing doens't really seem that bad in Europe though. But I don't think people should be dependant on charity or other people for support, I think state should quarantee people positive liberty. I don't think it's overbearing government, there are always people who have problems, who cannot pay for their medical insurance or education, and sometimes people simply cannot do it all on your own. Oh, and homosexuals, drug addicts, convicts and the poor are people too.
I do understand why entrepreneur would vote right, but....

I think point of government is more equal and liberal(positive liberty) society, and I just think left-wing does that better. Some right-wing fiscal policies do actually make some sense, in a way that more people work and the more of work invested in production, more stuff is produced, but I do not really think I want to work more. Work to live, not live to work -.-

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 01:52:02 pm »

Your first point is reductio ad absurdium, a rather sad way of arguing and not entirely necessary seeing as I'm not even trying to argue a point.

Your second point included actually changing one of my pieces of writing, which is libel, and if that wasn't your intention then I don't see what you're trying to do. Are you saying that the kindness of others and an overbearing government are one and the same? That I shouldn't have included both of them in the same sentence?

Yes

You are saying "overbearing government" to mean that the government shouldn't take care of those who needs help?

I didn't change what you said, what you said is still there, I just edited it to make a point, a point that you apperently didn't get since you accuse me of libel of all things.

I've always found that facing reality has made the world a little worse.
Now you are just trolling.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 01:56:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:31:29 pm by Stany »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:00:11 pm »

Easy, join my side.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5