Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Discworld MUD  (Read 19268 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Discworld MUD
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:45 am »

I have seen these firebunnies in action.  Guys, never pee on Rhodan's leg.  He will hit you with magical firebunnies.  And then he will take your eyes.  That poor little puppy...

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 09:17:20 am »

I probably shouldn't mention I'm all out of carrots...
But I still have a carpload of cured eyes though.  Fwoosh!

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 09:55:52 am »

Well, I chose to play as a thief, my character's name is Janette. This should be interesting.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 11:55:35 am »

Well, oks, my new character is Faulkner.
Apparently my old char got deleted years ago ;D
I'm going to join the Wizards Guild with this one. UU is just fun.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 12:01:11 pm »

Man oh man, the Intercontinental Express takes foreeeevvveer!  I've been sitting in this carriage for a real-life half-hour and I'm still not at Genua yet.  Someone shoot me an entertaining tell!  I'm Skuck right now.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 12:04:04 pm »

I always brought tons of reading material to practice forn languages during long rides.

EDIT: I don't know why, but I find mapping the MUD with zMUD/CMUD terribly addictive.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:17:57 pm by Sergius »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 12:25:54 pm »

I'd like my character to learn some foreign languages.  How do I get started with that?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 08:08:08 pm »

There are embassies dotted all over the place.

Usually(as in, I've never seen one that really doesn't), they'll teach you the language of their nationality. I believe there's an Ephebe embassy in Ankh-Morpork that'll teach you Ephebian, not that that's of much use.

I honestly don't know where to find many of them, but I do know that there's the Language Institute in Djelibeybi that'll teach you Djelian, and there's the Language Institute in Bes-Pelargic that'll teach you Agatean.

If you're lost, there's always http://daftjunk.com/dw/

Kefka's maps helped me a whole ton, especially as a newbie in Ankh-Morpork.

Also, just for the heck of it, m'name is Sirrax and I'ma priest of Hat.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:11:28 pm by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:28 pm »

Wait, wait, there is a Discworld game?  Like, Terry Pratchett's Discworld?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 02:05:55 am »

Wait, wait, there is a Discworld game?  Like, Terry Pratchett's Discworld?

There are several actually. There's this MUD, which is incredibly big and detailed. There is an old Spectrum game, there are two PC graphical point-n-click adventure games, also there's Discworld Noir.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 02:25:09 am »

Now that I've decided to come off leave and start using this thieves' guild license -- sorry, licence, crazy British spelling -- I'm having fun stealing all of the coins off of beggars and then giving him one of his pennies back.  He's grateful and thinks I'm a wonderful person, and I've made some extra cash.

I also completed the parcel delivery quest thanks to a very helpful player who graciously offered to take me to Bes Pelargic and back for free, and even gave me an AM royal for no reason.  For all that this game is terrifying and complicated for newbies, it is true that the players are incredibly helpful.  And now that I'm getting the hang of it, I'm really enjoying myself.  The only things I've killed are cockroaches, rats, and the occasional pigeon - after which I sob uncontrollably for having taken a life before going back to what I was doing - yet I'm already level 10 in my guild and with more xp (from the quest) than I know what to do with.  I've advanced my primaries up to around 35 each and I figure I'll stick with that for a while until I get a feel for which ones need most to be improved before I spend the rest of the xp.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 07:05:09 am »

British spellings are awesome, but yes, they do trip you up in this game on occasion.

The AM royal was more likely as a reward from the quest. By delivering that parcel, the post office gives you a royal.

To be honest, it really depends on what you want to do. I truly enjoyed just stealing everything that came within reach as thief, so I upped up covert.manipulation.stealing(I think? My thief idled into oblivion).

At level 150 in stealing, you get filch, which allows you to steal pretty much
anything off a person, including jewellery. Although you'll probably need to get it to around 180 before you can reliably filch stuff, I believe. You can tell I pretty much dumped all my experience into this one skill.

Although, probably that wouldn't be the exact best idea to do unless you're wanting to get filch really badly.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 08:08:19 am »

Actually, it was this player who gave me the royal.  It was before I delivered the parcel.  I got another hundred dollars upon delivery.

And that is after that other guy gave me around 100 dollars.  So I'm pretty financially secure for a newbie now.  Also, I'm already level 18 in the guild.  I got ridiculed by a smuggler for being a cutpurse, but otherwise every single person in the game has been incredibly nice to me.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2009, 08:17:54 am »

As you're sort of financially secure, I believe there's one player shop in Ohulan Cutash somewhere that sells repaired wheels, which are used in a certain quest. These repaired wheels are 1 sovereign, which amounts to I dunno how much in AM dollars.

This certain quest rewards you with 50 crowns, I believe, which is around AM$200.

These new crowns can then be used in another quest in the Ramtops which will reward you with a profit of 25 crowns. However, it does make you evil, so if you're worshipping, say, Gufnork, as many do for the ritual "Cure Light Wounds," you may have to wait a while before you can use the rituals again.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 02:54:43 pm »

I've played with Janette all day, thieves are a lot of fun. This guy gave me a royal and tonnes of advice. One thing he told me was to snatch stuff for easy exp and cash. I snatched a knife off a lady while on leave (I didn't really know what it meant. Another reason why I should manuals and not discard them) and got dumped in the ankh and my money was taken away. Right now I'm doing the parcel quest, and trying to regain my lost royal (I'll probably beg on the streets for cash or something).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5