Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kennels -> New Task -> Neuter/Castrate Pet  (Read 2482 times)

Dwarvid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Kennels -> New Task -> Neuter/Castrate Pet
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:18:16 pm »

That's right, cut off their balls or sew em shut, prevent catsplosions.  ;D

In the animal menu, maybe you can mark them to be neutered.  Then the animal trainer or healer gets busy when the task is given.

Depending on the strength of the relationship, this can cause bad thought for the owner. But not as bad as loosing the pet

For fun, maybe the nobles can mandate or demand that certain animals get neutered. maybe a cat-loving one demand neuter 5 dogs.

oh yea, vote here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php   

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Kennels -> New Task -> Neuter/Castrate Pet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:00 pm »

Hasn't this been suggested A THOUSAND TIMES BEFORE?

Y'know, just wondering... or maybe this is the first official mention of it in the EST
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:55:27 pm »

Cages already do this (and it's reversible!)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:05:23 pm »

Except you can't cage pets (that is, owned pets), whereas the OP specifically states that you should be able to neuter owned pets, causing an unhappy thought.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 04:44:28 pm »

I'm fairly certain the new release has some form of castration available, given all the surgical updates.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:03:22 pm »

I'm fairly certain the new release has some form of castration available, given all the surgical updates.

You'd have to put the pet in with a hostile goblin/wilde animal and hope that it manages to slice off the reproductive organs and nothing else.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:18:17 pm »

You'd have to put the pet in with a hostile goblin/wilde animal and hope that it manages to slice off the reproductive organs and nothing else.

I haven't seen any mention of implimenting organized neutering or sex organs as added to the creature or known to work

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:04:11 am »

I haven't seen any mention of implimenting organized neutering or sex organs as added to the creature or known to work

I could be wrong. We'll see.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 10:54:26 am »

it's really sad to cut dogs balls off

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:19:23 am »

I know I've suggested this one before, and it makes sense. Neutering males, at least, is tech-appropriate (if probably a bit dangerous) and necessary to control pet populations, especially since animals reproduce via spores, disallowing you from simply separating the males from the females.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:26:06 am »

Neutering males, at least, is tech-appropriate (if probably a bit dangerous)

Not really dangerous, at least for stuff like horses and cattle. Nobody would have done it if it wasn't safe; those animals were money on the hoof.

Spaying might be a bit beyond DF surgeons. Although having a surgeon operate on your ready supply of cats and dogs before you move him up to dwarfs would be a good trick.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:05 am »

Urist Mcpeasant: How do you neuter a camel?
Urist McDoctor: Well, you smash em in the nuts between a couple bricks.
Urist Mcpeasant: But doesn't that hurt?
Urist McDoctor: Only if you get your thumbs caught...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:27:44 pm »

Neutering males, at least, is tech-appropriate (if probably a bit dangerous)

Not really dangerous, at least for stuff like horses and cattle. Nobody would have done it if it wasn't safe; those animals were money on the hoof.

Spaying might be a bit beyond DF surgeons. Although having a surgeon operate on your ready supply of cats and dogs before you move him up to dwarfs would be a good trick.

Spaying isn't tech appropriate, although sewing up the oriface is.  Long discussion back in FotF about all this.

The boys can apparently be roped off with a tourniquette till they fall off on their own... No mess, no fuss...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:50 pm »

I'm 99% sure it won't be in the next version, although it's come up several times as something Toady would like to implement.

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.

Quote from: DF Talk 2 Teaser transcript
Rainseeker:   [2]So are you going to have cones for the critters, and pet critters?
Toady:   I don't know what people did, there's all kind of stuff ... we're going to be castrating critters sometime because people did that, I guess they just tied a string around it and just cinched it so tight that everything just died in there; so there's no open wound so you don't really have to worry about the cone, because the main thing is is he going to break open his incisions; that's why we were worried about Scamps; and he would, the way he's tearing and biting and scratching and chewing, what are you doing?

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:24:50 am »

Get the butcher to do it!

Mmmmm... deliciously meaty!
Pages: [1] 2