Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Geez, I should come around here more often  (Read 5545 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Geez, I should come around here more often
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:17:25 pm »

Alright, despite my love of DF, I haven't been following it's progress very well. This is a poignant point of shame with me, which I'd like to alleviate.

Some things I'd like to ask:

-Is weather more advanced than rain, drought, or snow going to be implemented? Will I have to worry about flooding, river overflows, lightning, eroding shores, red tides, tidal waves, murky swamps (moss in swamps grows so thick that it's hard to distinguish it from ground, is what I mean), quicksand, and/or realistic water tables?
-Are underground things going to become more advanced? Like, will I find oil, salt, tar, methane pockets, carbon dioxide pockets, other underground dwelling things (not strictly cave river or chasm things, like moles, antmen, or giant earthworms), natural caves (like limestone caves), sinkholes, stalactites/stalagmites, or things like that?
-Will 'regenerating' creatures that reproduce asexually ever come about? Like starfish, where they need to be cut in half to make more starfish.

I'm sorry if this info is readily available somewhere, and my ignorance just prevents me from seeing it.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
Re: Geez, I should come around here more often
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:56:52 pm »

Im pretty sure all that will be implemented eventually because everybody talks about it in suggestions
except i dont know about the starfish
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:58:45 pm »

That sounds great, I'd especially like to see earthquakes.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:02:59 pm »

There is already flooding from rainfall.
It is just hard to find an instance where the game rains enough to make it flood.
River overflows occur when mining goes wrong, but generally not on their own.
I would love to see lightning that destroys/toasts a few trees, maybe turns a tile of sand into glass, that would be killer. I'd like to see erosion, though that would probably be way to hard for a game that's already so uber-complex to handle.

Overall, your ideas are pretty good, and they all will end up in the game as far as I know.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:37:33 pm »

I don't think I need to mention farming or cave-ins.

Also, hardness of rock is something I've been meaning to ask about. It always seemed sort of funny that dwarves can dig to bedrock and carve a half-decent home in solid rock in about a week. Stone is tough, really tough, especially when you go down where it's under millions of pounds of pressure, and piercing through it so easily makes it feel like I'm digging into a world made of styrofoam.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »

Each tile takes around one "DF day" to dig out.
If you had a whole day to dig out a well shaped chunk of rock approximately the same size as you, and you were a dwarf,

...well, it wouldn't be too impressive now would it?
And that's only the skilled dwarfs too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:59:30 pm »

One "DF day"? I'm not sure, I always thought they dug a great deal faster than that, as a DF day is roughly 15-20 seconds IIRC.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 10:26:00 pm »

Now that I think about it, you are probably correct.
Also, the space dug out is large enough to house two dwarfs crawling past/over each other.
Or 999 dragons.
Take you pick. (Literally)

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:46 am »

The first and third aren't planned for any specific time, as far as I know, though I'd be shocked if weather never got an update. On the other hand, improvements to the underground are actually in the next release - not "oil, salt, tar, (gas) pockets," - though rock salt is already in, in a pretty crude way - but pretty much everything else you listed. So there's a reason to be happy.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:52:05 pm »

There is already flooding from rainfall.

I'm fairly sure that is completely not true, except when you dig into a murky pool.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 05:09:20 pm »

I'd like to see erosion, though that would probably be way to hard for a game that's already so uber-complex to handle.

actually im pretty sure that there is erosion during world gen
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Someguyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »

There is indeed erosion during world gen, from major rivers. They erode out a 10 z-level deep canyon, except the river fills in the bottom of the canyon, if that makes any sense. I can probably get a picture of what it looks like.

Edit: I only found a "river" (One smaller than major river) but it looks pretty much the same, just smaller. Furthermore, I would've put it in visual fortress, but I'm too lazy to download that at the moment.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:36:37 pm by Someguyo »

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »

Just a random question, is there a temperature difference between Z-levels? Meaning it is colder on top of a high mountain or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:57 pm »

I have to say, it would be awesome to find oil underground and pump it up for refining or use as fuel.

Then again, it would be nice to be able to extract oil from certain animals as well for the same uses.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »

I'm not sure if oil was used in the time period that Toady wants this fantasy setting to replicate, but it WOULD make the fire accidents way more fun...

"Ever since the accident at Uradgashud, the oil wells there have been burning for all of 9 years now..."
Pages: [1] 2 3