Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Transkobold text adventure!  (Read 6910 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Transkobold text adventure!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 10:26:38 am »

Propagate the species.

Wait, natch that, gather impromptu adventuring party and as many weapons and as much food and water as you and they can carry, then head in a promising direction to find a new Kobold tribe and hopefully a suitable Kobold with which to propagate the species. (North if no batter direction presents itself.)
You find the prospect repulsive. And as for forming a new tribe you consider it for the future, but you don't really have anything to get that sort of thing started of yet.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:56:49 am »

Hug a tree and hug it so hard that you wil form it into a wooden armor

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 12:19:56 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:55:49 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 12:41:15 pm »

If I correctly understand we have been working with rocks and sticks right?

Maple forest dood! MAPLE FOREST!!!

Pick up some rope reed. And you know what you can do with rope reed? Well, ropes of course!
So make some ropes (and / or strings) and try to create one of the following:
sling,bow,catapult,rock fall trap, traps that catch a foot and then swing you high up in the air, lasso, net, ultimate contraption of DOOM!!!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 01:38:36 pm »

Hug a tree and hug it so hard that you wil form it into a wooden armor
Your hugs might be highly valued by many, but not quite valued enough to compensate for the fact that you are not an elf.

Try engraving some text onto wooden tablets claiming to be from the kings of the various enemy civilizations in the area, in the native tongues of those civilizations of course.

The tablets should read as advertisements for bounty hunters, we want our enemies to be killing each other, what better way to do that than with a propaganda campaign? Should figure out a way to give these to really stupid human adventurers...

One from the elven king for example should read:

"I have had enough of these dwarves, desecrating our land, killing our people! For the entity that brings me the head of the dwarven king, I offer the hand of my eldest daughter in marriage, and riches beyond your wildest dreams! I also offer 1000 gold for the heads of any other dwarves you may slay!"

Maybe even figure out a way to write the tablets in such a way, that the dwarves think elven merchants are parties of assassins in disguise when they actually get their hands on them.
You come up with one bright idea abaut using propaganda warfare and pitting you dwarves and humans* against each other, but hit quite a snag in that you don't know either language well enough to make a plausible forgery.

*Elves and goblins are not actually known about other than second hand tales from eavesdropping on human merchants.

If I correctly understand we have been working with rocks and sticks right?

Maple forest dood! MAPLE FOREST!!!

Pick up some rope reed. And you know what you can do with rope reed? Well, ropes of course!
So make some ropes (and / or strings) and try to create one of the following:
sling,bow,catapult,rock fall trap, traps that catch a foot and then swing you high up in the air, lasso, net, ultimate contraption of DOOM!!!
Instead, you focus on continuing those experiments. You hit a snag of what was possible with the metwrials you had yesterday, but after sleeping on the problem a bit you have reasized that string and rope might open out a wole new avenue of technology. After thinking more about what you learned about bending wood that reverted into it's original shape, you think you might have figured out how to replicate those elven bows...
You set to work immediately, gathering rope reed plants and processing them into thread. After about two hours you have enough to start experiments.
Basicaly, it's similar in principle to those snares that you useto cach prey; you simply take a bendable stick, tie a string shorter than it to both ends, and use another stick for an arrow. You draw the makeshift bow and...
*ksnp*, the bowstring strikes you paw making you involuntary yell out, and propels the arow abut a meter away. Back to the figurative drawing board.
The next various dosn't hurt you, and propels the stick with a fair amount of force, but the stick starts to tumble in the air and fall short of the target, the same happen with the next attempted bow and several more arrows. You are missing something here.
Afrer a while of more general experimenting, you do figure out a few things, including that a more loosely tied version of a fishing net works well for entangling humanoids, and a device that is spun around to throw a rock with more power than can be easily done by hand, thou it does have a slight accuracy problem.
That is more usefull however, is that using a large amount of string tied around the top of a young tree and a medium sized rock in certain ways, you can make the rebounding tree hurl the rock a sizable distance, and high enought that if it was posible to aim the thing it couls be considerably dangerus. (you used the jocks to bend the tree down, by the way, they were very impressed)

It is now midnight.
>_
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 01:59:48 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:56:59 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 02:21:17 pm »

Hmm... Rope IS useful... Are there any saplings around at all? You know, very young trees? It's not unheard of for people to strip the bark off of the younger trees while the bark is still flexible enough to be torn off into long flexible, well... strips!. I am pretty sure it can work on the younger branches of an older tree as well. You can bind stuff together with the strips of bark, or even tie them together to make a longer and/or thicker rope out of multiple strips.
You are quite familiar with this technique, used for weaving baskets out of mostly. You realize that the same strips might be used to produce rope, and proceed to successfully make such rope, it works fairly well.
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:36 am »

Disguise yourself as a dwarf noble and start demanding easy to make and useful items.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 11:16:09 am »

Elf scout: "I have my report on the kobolds sir, but it's grim... I can't bear to speak the words..."
Elf captain: "Spit it out, soldier!"
Elf scout: "They are... THEY ARE SKINNING BABY TREES ALIVE!!!"
Elf captain: "BY THE GRACE OF THE FOREST SPIRITS, AND THE FREEZING HELL OF THE MOUNTAIN TOPS! THESE ATROCITIES MUST END NOW!"

Kobold: "****ing tree, growing into the fence of MY vegetable garden! I'll show you, oh I'LL SHOW YOU!!"

Must.... Sig thiss!!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 11:40:15 am »

Disguise yourself as a dwarf noble and start demanding easy to make and useful items.
YOu onsider this, but you don't really know how to make a good disguise with the avible materials, and your accent would reveal you anyway...
Then again, dwarves are not exactly brightest bulbs in the forest, but you'd rather not bet your life on that.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 12:02:54 pm »

Practice with your new inventions
I heard that doing repetitive tasks makes you legendary  ;D

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »

Practice with your new inventions
I heard that doing repetitive tasks makes you legendary  ;D
You decide to practice with the sling, while the jocks train with the large rock-thrower. (the amount of time for this is for as yet undetermined, probably dependant on what the next suggestion is. Also, skills wont train quite as fast as in DF. So, the becoming legendary idea wont work.)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 09:17:01 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:58:32 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 03:13:28 pm »

(Ugh, I just realize I have manged to postphone this the entire day. X_X I'm not really good at writing things on time.)
I say we train the kobold jocks at siege operation, and a bit of digging as well. When we are ready to head out, we collect a few obviously dwarven items the kobold settlement may have managed to steal in the past that are lying around, and go on a stealth mission to a human graveyard. Not a graveyard in a human town, but a graveyard near one, and we might want to do this in the middle of the night... Probably not a problem, you said kobolds are nocturnal right?

Anything necessary for the set-up of a catapult should be brought with us. We should dig up any important looking human graves first, pocketing anything valuable they may have been buried with. Then we load the bodies into a catapult and fire! When we are done, leave any dwarven equipment we brought with us in the graveyard so they get blamed, but leave not a single trace of anything that could have been kobold made, and that means deconstructing and bringing anything we make on-site home with us. Might want to use the grave markers as ammo as well.

Oh, and we might want to steal any tools or technologies the humans might have that kobolds don't. Some things they may or may not have in the graveyard:
Shovels for digging, wheel-barrels for moving dirt, a wagon or something for bringing the dead to the graveyard... Who knows? I mean, these ARE kobolds we are talking about. They might be amazed by the door-hinges on the groundskeeper's toolshed!
While training, you finally come up with a good idea; grave robery! You have the jocks continue raining with the stone thrower, and making a portable version of it. Also, digging. Meanwhile, you gather information about nearby human burial places, and gathe r some dwarven items to hopefully make the humans blame dwarves. When you are finished with the preparations it is almost dawn, and when you have packed, planed, b reifed the jocks, etc. you go to sleep.

You set of early in the evening the next night, and several hours later, just before midnight, you arive at the cemetery. There was something you didn't expect however.
Surrounding the entire graveyard except for a stretch that is unavailable due to cliffs, is a tall, looming iron fence with rows of barbed spikes on the top like the speartips of silent soldiers. There is a gate, but it also menacing with spikes and there is a lock that seems to require a key. What do you do?
>_
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 03:37:27 pm »

Oh, please... kobolds have thumbs!