Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15838820 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #4320 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:07 am »

Hard Drives are magnetic, optical disks are optical.
Shoes...

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: January 18, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »

Hard drives are magnetic disks that spin in the same direction. An electromagnet writes to the disk by causing the magnetic polarization on the disk to change. The same electromagnet can pick up what's written to the disk. That's kind of a rough sketch of how things work there--there are plenty of materials science things that I'm glossing over.

If you have a dead harddrive, you should open it up and take a look inside. Lots of nifty things in there.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:18 pm »

HRRRRG DUKE SMASH TREE.

Seriously, that thing was four times taller than our two-story house and could have easily crushed any number of neighbors sheds. Naturally my dad cut down the big stuff up top because he is the only guy crazy enough to do it with a rickety metal ladder, an electric chainsaw, some frayed rope and a complete disregard for branches hitting the ladder. Now we can't collapse it because branches warped it so much.

Then as my father went inside to rest up I went ballistic on the branches, creating a wood pile a good ten times my own body weight.

Good times.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4323 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »

[...]minor issue: I'm not letting that anywhere near my computer or CD/DVDs. I mean, being made of rare earth magnets and all, I can imaging the damage one of those can do to a computer[...]

I just feel like I have to point out that data on CDs and DVDs is stored optically, by effectively etching the surface with a laser; magnets won't have the slightest effect on them. Your computer, possibly; but I've heard it takes some serious magnetism to effect hard drives, at least. It'd certainly be fun to experiment with (someone else's computer)!
I was just concerned about having rare-earth magnets around technology due to some myths, and some harsh truths. I just didn't want to run a risk of accidentally wiping my drives because my nephew would throw a ball made of those at the wall expecting it to bounce back.

Let's not forget, I have some stray things lying around (GBA, PSP, flash drives, a nearby non-flat TV, consoles, etc.); you can see my concern here.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: January 18, 2010, 03:51:27 pm »

Whenever I'm feeling down, Eva or Milly are always there to catch me.

Naptiems....
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: January 18, 2010, 04:14:16 pm »

Speaking of computer electromagnetics:  New graphics card came in!  And I can tell the difference.  If nothing else, Visual Fortress finally runs properly.  ;D
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: January 18, 2010, 04:22:08 pm »

Short lived... Eva decided instead of napping together she should play games so I can watch.

Oh well, still feeling happier. :3
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: January 18, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »

[...]minor issue: I'm not letting that anywhere near my computer or CD/DVDs. I mean, being made of rare earth magnets and all, I can imaging the damage one of those can do to a computer[...]

I just feel like I have to point out that data on CDs and DVDs is stored optically, by effectively etching the surface with a laser; magnets won't have the slightest effect on them. Your computer, possibly; but I've heard it takes some serious magnetism to effect hard drives, at least. It'd certainly be fun to experiment with (someone else's computer)!
I was just concerned about having rare-earth magnets around technology due to some myths, and some harsh truths. I just didn't want to run a risk of accidentally wiping my drives because my nephew would throw a ball made of those at the wall expecting it to bounce back.

Let's not forget, I have some stray things lying around (GBA, PSP, flash drives, a nearby non-flat TV, consoles, etc.); you can see my concern here.
If you throw it at a wall, it just goes splat, and then slides down.  In a single piece.  It glitched out my computer because I got too many too close, but it's fine at 6 in. away.

I can make a cube.  My brother got some too, and I stole it, and now I can make an enormous cube.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: January 18, 2010, 06:00:43 pm »

Naptiems....
Whose Eva and Milly?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:14 pm »

If you have to ask by now, I'm sure it won't matter to you all that much.

Check her profile, she has a blog, and it'll explain everything.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: January 18, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »

Naptiems....
Whose Eva and Milly?
No one knows.

Some people think they might no but their wrong.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: January 18, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »

They're a delusional pair of fictional characters created by her schitzophrenic mind to make her world more perfect.

Luckily her- Why, I Feel Like Brownies! Who Would Like Some Brownies?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:47:51 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: January 18, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

I haven't even met her mother and yet I'd gladly smack her one if I saw her.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: January 18, 2010, 06:25:51 pm »

If you have to ask by now, I'm sure it won't matter to you all that much.

Check her profile, she has a blog, and it'll explain everything.
It didn't.

I haven't even met her mother and yet I'd gladly smack her one if I saw her.
WHy?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: January 18, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

No, really, it will. I refuse to believe you read the entire thing in that space of time.

As for her mother, she's a deadbeat homophobe and she psychically abused her own daughter because she wouldn't lend her money she could have worked maybe a day for.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 13326