Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13155 13156 [13157] 13158 13159 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15890414 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #197340 on: April 16, 2022, 09:12:53 am »

The CGI is dated, but it's still better than Bilbo ;)

I was actually and saw Beastly Beasts and Where to Best Them 3 in cinema the other day -- I'm not a big Harry Potter fan but my friend is -- and the CGI in there may be more advanced but I sure don't know if it's better... Constantly seeing them tennis ball acting. LotR's forced perspective may be glaringly uncanny valley in particular scenes but at least they built sets to act on. Imagine how unwatchable these new tennis ball green screen movies will be in a few years when graphics have advanced even further.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197341 on: April 16, 2022, 09:29:43 am »

I will fight you  :P
I suppose, if I were to watch it in its entirety - like I did first time around - I would get lulled into accepting the quaintness as it unfolds. Maybe.
But I re-watched only the short bit when the hobbits came to Rivendell, and I was just not sold on the overwrought, affected mannerisms. The annoying faux seriousness. And the sets that looked like just that - sets. Artificial, paper-thin, and not lived in.

Ian McKellen is as great as ever though, I'll grant you that.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197342 on: April 16, 2022, 09:46:33 am »

I just finally finished the last Lord of the Rings book: Return of the King. I really forced myself to read through the remainder of it today, and while there's a lot to be said about the Trilogy, I will say that Frodo and Sam are probably the greatest Bromance in fiction history.

I'll probably give the movies a looksee. I've been putting them off for the day I finally finished the books.

The movies cut out a lot of stuff to add in more fighting, but also makes the battles look incredibly boring. The old Rankin-Bass movies are better, but there are only two of them.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #197343 on: April 16, 2022, 10:01:43 am »

But I re-watched only the short bit when the hobbits came to Rivendell, and I was just not sold on the overwrought, affected mannerisms The annoying faux seriousness. And the sets that looked like just that - sets. Artificial, paper-thin, and not lived in.
In fairness, the Rivendell section does have some stilted acting. Maybe not the best section to judge the entire trilogy on, hah.

As for sets, got any pictures of what you mean? Personally, I was always convinced by them. I'm thinking of the Prancing Pony, Meduseld in Edoras, so on.

I just finally finished the last Lord of the Rings book: Return of the King. I really forced myself to read through the remainder of it today, and while there's a lot to be said about the Trilogy, I will say that Frodo and Sam are probably the greatest Bromance in fiction history.

I'll probably give the movies a looksee. I've been putting them off for the day I finally finished the books.

The movies cut out a lot of stuff to add in more fighting, but also makes the battles look incredibly boring. The old Rankin-Bass movies are better, but there are only two of them.
The movies do cut out a lot, but not to add more fighting. Just because LotR had so much going on there was no way to fit it within anything resembling a doable timeframe.

Which battle was boring, do you think?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197344 on: April 16, 2022, 11:16:12 am »

The battle were better in the books :>

I'm a big fat pretentious LOTR book purist, you see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #197345 on: April 16, 2022, 11:24:27 am »

Don't watch if you haven't seen lotr, obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM92rDI-5FI

I rewatched the above to check out the setting, just to see if it's more flimsy/paperish than I recall, and it's not. I've also rewatched the Rivendell scene and found the acting better than remembered. And the set was very detailed.

Not liking this LotR bashing, guys.
I might have to start bashing guys.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 11:31:23 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 12:50:57 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #197347 on: April 16, 2022, 10:58:10 pm »

Христос Воскрес!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197348 on: April 17, 2022, 04:35:43 pm »

Easter!  Empty tomb! For those of us who believe:

Quote from: 1 Corinthians 15:17,20
If the Messiah wasn't raised your faith is pointless, and you are still in your sins. What's more, people who have died in the Messiah have perished for good...but now Christ has been raised from the dead!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197349 on: April 17, 2022, 04:53:08 pm »

Congratulations!  Yesterday I took my gma up to see her sister and extended family up in the country, where they would run Easter Egg hunts for me and the other children back in the day.  She hasn't gotten to see a lot of these people for a while, so it was really nice.  We went through some old photo albums and ate outside in the beautiful warm weather.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197350 on: April 17, 2022, 05:41:48 pm »

Everything Everywhere All at Once is the single best movie I can remember being made in the past 10 years. It is just brilliant and screamingly funny.

Recommended especially for people who are experiencing difficult inter generational family relationships, or romantic situations, or just feeling like life is unbearably chaotic and weird right now. This film is the real deal!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197351 on: April 18, 2022, 12:22:20 pm »

Sounds uplifting af, keep feelin it. :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197352 on: April 18, 2022, 05:24:30 pm »

Everything Everywhere All at Once is the single best movie I can remember being made in the past 10 years. It is just brilliant and screamingly funny.

Recommended especially for people who are experiencing difficult inter generational family relationships, or romantic situations, or just feeling like life is unbearably chaotic and weird right now. This film is the real deal!
Oh, lord. I've been so itching to see this. But the thought of suffering the cinema experience is too much to bear. Hopefully it'll be put on streaming somewhere, sometime soon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #197353 on: April 24, 2022, 01:32:23 pm »

Marine Le Pen lost the French elections.
While Macron is pretty terrible, at least we didn't get nazi France thrown into the mix.

Still scary though that 42% of the French did vote for an extreme right candidate.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #197354 on: April 24, 2022, 03:45:13 pm »

Marine Le Pen lost the French elections.
While Macron is pretty terrible, at least we didn't get nazi France thrown into the mix.

Still scary though that 42% of the French did vote for an extreme right candidate.
Voter turnout was 28%
So it's more like 12% of French voted for Meme le Meme, the rest couldn't be fucked, because they'd get fucked by either candidate anyways. On the bright side, the Putin money candidate lost, but Macron isn't exactly Ukraine's friend either

*EDIT
Lmao watching interviews of poor French voters complaining they don't want Macron or Marine. I know that feel. I honestly believe all elections should have a "I DON'T WANT ANY OF THIS" option. If the "I DON'T WANT ANY OF THIS" option wins the election, you remove all the candidates and start afresh with new candidates
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 03:47:17 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 13155 13156 [13157] 13158 13159 ... 13326