Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13140 13141 [13142] 13143 13144 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15887895 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #197115 on: February 03, 2022, 08:11:46 pm »

or the pothos, or surprisingly not the poinsettia, or the dieffenbachia, aye

Fortunately, I'm the only meat creature in my household.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197116 on: February 03, 2022, 08:24:31 pm »

We talking about orange royalty?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #197117 on: February 04, 2022, 09:13:58 am »

Tbh if the Dutch invaded again they'd probably get another festive welcome. Can't be worse than Boris atm

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #197118 on: February 04, 2022, 09:17:18 am »

All vote King Willy! We'll not sink your entire navy this time, promise.  ;D

(no guarantees about your fishing fleet though)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 09:18:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #197119 on: February 04, 2022, 09:18:33 am »

That's all right, thanks to budget cuts our navy knows how to sink on its own

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #197120 on: February 04, 2022, 09:19:12 am »

All vote King Willy! We'll not sink your entire navy this time, promise.  ;D

You can’t see the eyes of the demon, ‘til him come callin’.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197121 on: February 05, 2022, 09:55:30 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:59:51 am by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197122 on: February 06, 2022, 12:11:04 am »

I quite like my new job. It's a nice, stable schedule. My coworkers are very friendly and helpful. I'm paid well enough to continue my minimalist lifestyle. I'm kept busy enough and challenged enough that it doesn't threaten to bore me to death. There's just enough uptime and downtime so I don't feel overwhelmed, but I also get moments to relax. People think I do a good job at it as well. 

I've had some time to daydream lately, and I was thinking of the Matrix, and Isekai, and I brainstormed up my own story. It's probably not original, but it goes roughly: A child is born with an odd brain disorder that prevents it from 'waking up' and being conscious, keeping the young infant in a sleep-like state at all times. There's no known cure for this disorder. The parents plead with the doctors, who struggle to think of a humane solution beyond euthanasia. They come up with a solution, that since the infant's comatose state is similar to the medically induced coma that is used for the players of Paradyse, a virtual world where the players are neurally connected to the game, that they connect the infant to the game, and he can be raised in the virtual world. The problem with this however, is that noone knows if this is genuinely humane, or even possible, as Paradyse is not a commercial MMO, but was designed with the needs of the terminally ill in mind, and all of it's users are those that are end-of-life, to provide them with a virtual world where they can live out their last days in the best happiness that can be managed; it was never intended to be used for long periods of time, for a child. Nevertheless, they give it a try, with heavy improvisations having to be made every step of the way, the child is hooked up, and the parents can enter the game through ad hoc connections to spend as much of their time with the child as they can.

20 years pass, the child having mentally grown into an adult, completely inside of Paradyse. It's at this time that a medical breakthrough occurs, and the Young Man's Brain Disorder can finally be cured. His parents promise him an awesome birthday present: entrance into the 'real world', which is news to him, as the world he's lived in his entire life seems plenty 'real' to him. His parents regretfully had been informed by the doctors that his condition was perhaps permanent, and so to never inform him of any world but the one he knows inside of Paradyse, so that he not feel his existence pointless and fake; but now that his condition is cured, they can finally show him the reality that his Disorder had denied him. Finally, his neural link to the game is cut, and his atrophied body begins the arduous rehabilitation needed to even get out of his bed. The Young Man is very confused at reality, as no part of the 'real world' resembles the world inside of Paradyse that he grew up with. Out of Paradyse, there's gravity, pain, nausea, bodily needs, many sensations that aren't present in the simulation. He learns that he actually needs to move his mouth to talk, he can't just think his thoughts at others. He's very surprised to see his parent's faces for the first time, as in Paradyse they only had rudimentary avatars that never updated as he got older, and he doesn't recognize the man and woman that claim to be his father and mother, though they seem to have the same personalities. Once he learns how to walk, another discovery he makes is that people are, in fact, "permanent"; he thought that the way that people appeared in, and disappeared out of, Paradyse was just natural. Once coming to grips with the basics of reality, and that Paradyse was a virtual world existing in some computers, and that the people in Paradyse were in fact people in reality as well, he wants to know where some of his friends in Paradyse are here in this "Reality"... only to be informed that they've died; they were sick, or old, or seriously injured, and Paradyse was their only escape to let them enjoy the last bit of life they had in them. The Young Man doesn't quite grasp any of these concepts, but insists on being able to meet the one friend that hadn't disappeared from Paradyse yet, who should still be alive and connected to Paradyse. As coincidence would have it however, he passed away just earlier that day, and they got permission to visit his body. They do so, only for the Young Man to be very confused... he was still there! In Paradyse, if some NPC or game enemy was killed, it simply disappeared. The Young Man didn't realize that this 'permanence' which characterizes living people, in fact characterizes everything, even the dead; but the personality and friendliness of the person he knew inside Paradyse wasn't permanent, it disappeared from this "Reality". This is very startling and frightening to the Young Man, who begins to regret now entering this "Reality" and now would like to return to his "Home" in Paradyse, where he grew up and all his memories and familiar comforts are.

That's about as far as I've gotten with the idea. I'll have to think on it a bit more to determine if this is a good direction for the story, where it would go from there, or even if the existing story is even all that compelling. I'll probably scrap it, as I'm wont to do with most of my daydreams, it's just fun to think about.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197123 on: February 06, 2022, 12:20:12 am »

First time in my life I did something for my birthday, I was very stressed but less than half the people came so it was perfect (some invitations brought other invitations with them to avoid ruffling feathers). We were 5 and that was good. If everybody came and brought their girlfriend it would have been much less pleasant. It's 4am and I still got room for a drink or two... IDK why but I kinda wanna sleep in the garage, it's so cozy in here, there is all I need to entertain warm and drug myself, and our old sofa (why i got the idea to come here in the first place)

So yeah its silly but i kind of want to linger in the settled smoke, listen to the boiler and fridge while falling asleep. Just. so. cozy. My room will be chillyfresh RN, not the thing I need. Maybe i'll try to fall asleep here and move up when i inevitably wake up in the night like allways.

Sounds relaxing and nice. Hope you had a great birthday.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197124 on: February 06, 2022, 03:26:05 am »

I've had some time to daydream lately, and I was thinking of the Matrix, and Isekai, and I brainstormed up my own story.
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, a little bit of work you could get a short story out of this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197125 on: February 06, 2022, 06:18:08 am »

Okay, my sleep schedule slipped again...  But this time it's because I was catching up with a west-coast friend who has really cool videos of drag racing.  Cars accelerating faster than I thought possible then slowing down with parachutes.

Isn't that what a Saturday night is for?  Talking with a rad friend until dawn approaches?  I needed this, it'll make going to sleep on schedule easier.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197126 on: February 06, 2022, 06:47:49 pm »

Okay, my sleep schedule slipped again...  But this time it's because I was catching up with a west-coast friend who has really cool videos of drag racing.  Cars accelerating faster than I thought possible then slowing down with parachutes.

Isn't that what a Saturday night is for?  Talking with a rad friend until dawn approaches?  I needed this, it'll make going to sleep on schedule easier.

YES

Just search "top fuel dragster" on youtube and check out the fun & explanations of how they work, it's amazing.
I've attended several drag races at a local track and witnessed 335mph runs, the literal shaking of the ground, felt the sound through my whole body :-)
Don't forget your hearing protection!  Tried it once without and it was literal pain.
Then I drag raced my daily driver and my '93 GSX-R 750 on that same track against my nephew, the thrill is amazing.
Addiction happens.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197127 on: February 06, 2022, 07:58:13 pm »

Dragster tires do funny things with thousands of horsepower pumped into them
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197128 on: February 09, 2022, 01:51:06 pm »

Fun fact: I think a top fuel dragster engine only revolves something like 100 times down the track.

What I really came here to say is ... wow I should've replaced my HVAC a long time ago.  Last one was literally poisoning us with CO.  Who knows how much fuel we were burning that had no effect on our heating.  New one is already notably running less to keep the house at the same temp.

I know I won't ever really recoup the install cost, but improved comfort, vastly improved interior air quality, and reduced energy consumption is nice!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #197129 on: February 09, 2022, 02:01:26 pm »

As a rule of thumb, keep a CO detector somewhere near heating systems. It might save your life someday.
They're butt cheap, just don't forget to check the battery every once in a while.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 13140 13141 [13142] 13143 13144 ... 13326