Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13109 13110 [13111] 13112 13113 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15875812 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #196650 on: October 06, 2021, 09:03:18 pm »

Gratz, hope she heals well from the delivery.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196651 on: October 06, 2021, 09:11:36 pm »

Gratz, hope she heals well from the delivery.

I hope so too.

I realize that the joyous occasion is a little stained with my pessimism, but it's really all I could think about today.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196652 on: October 06, 2021, 09:13:29 pm »

Nah, it's OK. The joyous occasion is also stained with the blood clots she's gonna be passing for a while LOL. Life happens and is messy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196653 on: October 06, 2021, 10:50:40 pm »

yeah, the next generation of my family tree is starting to bloom.  Step-sister had a kid last year, and my brother is set to be a dad next year.  Sis's kid went by with no problems, good kid that's growing fast.  I'd worry about my brother's wife, as she's rather ball shaped, but so far I don't think there's anything amiss.

Everyone's progressing in life but me, but I digress, this isn't the thread for that.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196654 on: October 08, 2021, 01:11:08 am »

Logging off from Discord for a few days.
I've been kinda busy again, and my Discord got to 9+ notifications (despite me being "Away").  A lot of those were probably a certain server that insists on doing @here 3-4 times for each livestream, but eh.  Once I left it at 9+ and "Away", I hit a certain kind of zen.

I took care of real life business with a lighter heart.  Like - it does suck, because I do know from my phone that some of those messages are from people I care about.  But it's just so nice that it's not my first place to go.

Also I rapidposted a lot of really fun things to anti-Vaxxers on the Vuukle comment section of a webcomic I like, which is hella more fun.  This must be what Twitter feels like.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #196655 on: October 08, 2021, 11:41:31 pm »

Sometimes, you just gotta fight dirty with the sludge of the world. Sure, it's probably not productive, or harmonious, but sludge isn't asking to be harmonious, either, eh. Watch out for flammable bridges but godspeed all the same.

I started my new job this week! It's been a lot of funneling modern software development jargon into my head and learning about a monolithic sales platform the company is developing for. Remote is probably a good choice for me, since I've become a fidgety, neurotic fuck, which is only on display a scant few hours a day. There's some grief about the software with 'this feature is fucked, is it supposed to be?' and 'this feature in the environment is incomplete/fucked/ can I test the fucked-ish feature I'm supposed to respective of that?' but still I'm learning hard and learning fast and bah gawd I've got a paycheck coming again soon.

I'll be happier still when expectations/metrics are clearer about my work as a new hire, but I know I'm asking poignant questions about the job/environment and am kind of the point of advice for the other new hire that started when I did, so I must be taking on okay, right?

Unrelated to that, I bought more houseplants and bought some chemical warfare to bring down on the fungus gnats that have plagued my abode. Feckers got into my potting soil, which explains why only specific plants are plagued, but I'm finally getting on top of the menace! The African Violet is flowering again! The chrysanthemum is producing one or two stupid flowers and it's wonderful! The catnip's been cut down to a fraction of its size so it regrows proudly, I've got a new bushy buddy and a tentacular succulent, the basilfriend cutting from my friend went to root real hard, and the patriarch pothos bestowed upon me a breakage-turned-cutting-turned sproutling that I hope grows into a mighty more-than-two-leaf specimen.

I did lose one green-purpley leafy boy for general reasons, but I know a little better about pests now and wish it a sunny afterlife. Green thumbs aren't earned without the carboniferous carcasses of a few failed houseplants, eh?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #196656 on: October 09, 2021, 09:28:35 am »

Logging off from Discord for a few days.
I've been kinda busy again, and my Discord got to 9+ notifications (despite me being "Away").  A lot of those were probably a certain server that insists on doing @here 3-4 times for each livestream, but eh.  Once I left it at 9+ and "Away", I hit a certain kind of zen.

I took care of real life business with a lighter heart.  Like - it does suck, because I do know from my phone that some of those messages are from people I care about.  But it's just so nice that it's not my first place to go.

Also I rapidposted a lot of really fun things to anti-Vaxxers on the Vuukle comment section of a webcomic I like, which is hella more fun.  This must be what Twitter feels like.
I'm always hovering around ~10 notifs, most of which are random pings on servers I don't even read regularly and then I mark them as read.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196658 on: October 09, 2021, 03:10:31 pm »

Been a pretty good day money-wise for me. Was informed of a raise(everyone got one), and the quarterly bonuses for Q3 and Q4 were doubled(will be getting the Q3 bonus next paycheck, haven't earned Q4 yet). Although the company is ending quarterly bonuses next year, at the end of this year, everyone who has been there 2+ years will receiving a $500 bonus(on top of the last quarterly bonus). I don't actually know if that's going to be a yearly bonus or a one-time thing.

I also received part of over $40 I found in the pocket of a pair of jeans, which is a fairly high amount for finding money(if found money is over $10, the person who finds it receives 25% up to $100 received), and a rarity for me since I'm one of the last people to handle the clothing and I generally don't have time to search pockets.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196659 on: October 10, 2021, 05:34:13 am »

Congrats!  That's a pretty nice bonus for people who stuck around.  Interesting found-money policy, too - makes a lot of sense, rewarding someone for doing the "right" thing.
I'm always hovering around ~10 notifs, most of which are random pings on servers I don't even read regularly and then I mark them as read.
It's mostly that one dang server that pings 4 times over the course of a single show - and does 2-3 shows per week.  Dang it, if their content wasn't *actually quite interesting* I would have left ages ago!  Or done a full server-mute.  It would be so nice if they would just ping once for the start of a show.  But nooo, they have to ping @here for pre-announcement, actual start, after-show questions... ugh.

And despite what the Discord manual says, being set Idle does not prevent the @here notifications.
Sometimes I do want to see the show - I wish I could just get one notification for it.
Sometimes, you just gotta fight dirty with the sludge of the world. Sure, it's probably not productive, or harmonious, but sludge isn't asking to be harmonious, either, eh. Watch out for flammable bridges but godspeed all the same.
What's great is that it's a clean space, unconnected to the rest of my online presence.  So I was able to go HAM without worrying about anyone else seeing me.

And in full "berserker" mode I reached out so many times that one chud actually backed off and gave me kudos for treating him as a person.  Yay?  (I sorta like that unironically.  No one has a responsibility to do that, except maybe people like me)
[Snip]
Unrelated to that, I bought more houseplants and bought some chemical warfare to bring down on the fungus gnats that have plagued my abode. Feckers got into my potting soil, which explains why only specific plants are plagued, but I'm finally getting on top of the menace! The African Violet is flowering again! The chrysanthemum is producing one or two stupid flowers and it's wonderful! The catnip's been cut down to a fraction of its size so it regrows proudly, I've got a new bushy buddy and a tentacular succulent, the basilfriend cutting from my friend went to root real hard, and the patriarch pothos bestowed upon me a breakage-turned-cutting-turned sproutling that I hope grows into a mighty more-than-two-leaf specimen.

I did lose one green-purpley leafy boy for general reasons, but I know a little better about pests now and wish it a sunny afterlife. Green thumbs aren't earned without the carboniferous carcasses of a few failed houseplants, eh?
(❁´◡`❁)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196660 on: October 10, 2021, 06:46:38 am »

Congrats to everyone!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #196661 on: October 10, 2021, 06:57:42 am »

I also received part of over $40 I found in the pocket of a pair of jeans, which is a fairly high amount for finding money(if found money is over $10, the person who finds it receives 25% up to $100 received), and a rarity for me since I'm one of the last people to handle the clothing and I generally don't have time to search pockets.
This makes me curious as to what kind of job you have.
If I could get 3 guesses, they'd be

1) industry that recycles old clothing into pulp for things like paper production
2) sorting center for hand-me-down clothing charity
3) The Soylent Corporation
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196662 on: October 10, 2021, 07:04:20 am »

My guess was a thrift store dealing with donated clothes.  I think Akura may have said as much, and also I've done some volunteer work at an "interfaith" church version and it sounds about right.

(It's something my dad got into.  It was nice to fix up discarded electronics, and then get first dibs on abandonware game CDs/manuals/boxes.  We got a discount on clothes, too, though I was too shy to really use that much)
She/they

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196663 on: October 10, 2021, 08:42:48 am »

Yup. Thrift store.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #196664 on: October 10, 2021, 09:01:44 am »

Nice, making a living while trying to do something nice for the world
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 13109 13110 [13111] 13112 13113 ... 13326