Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13052 13053 [13054] 13055 13056 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15851265 times)

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195795 on: April 22, 2021, 11:31:15 pm »

Common DF memes are all pretty meh.

It was inevitable
It is not my problem.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #195796 on: April 23, 2021, 09:31:12 am »

I just found the source for that Chinese frog meme I databent for delphonso some time ago! The video is called "when you stub your toe" by wavetro, and the 3D model used there was used for a video called "Where is "dat boi" now?" by the same person.

I was randomly suggested the latter, and I realized "hold up, isn't that the 3D model I 'bent some time ago"? Then YT recommendations showed me a reupload of the former video, and the description credited the original "when you stub your toe". On that video, everything just clicked. It made sense now. That was the source. I feel like I've cracked a very small code.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195797 on: April 24, 2021, 12:13:46 am »

Haha, my birthday is officially yesterday!  I am safe from cake!  Though it sounds like my mom's bringing me homemade muffins on Sunday - low sugar <3

I finally started a journal, and of course wrote way too much in it.  That felt good though, and it helps me recognize that I had a variety of cool experiences (often the days seem to just fade together - but that's just memory, not what really happened).  Despite playing co-op stuff with my brother and friends a lot, I also took care of various important chores that I'd built up anxiety about.  Some are done, and some are just waiting on Monday!  I have a nice list.  It was a really productive day.

I'm glad I got to experience it here, at home, on my own terms.  While interacting with various family members by text or voice, depending.  I feel really good about today yesterday, and I'm looking forward to waking up and crossing some more tasks off my big list o'projects.

I never got around to ordering myself presents - but I hate obligatory scheduled presents, so I'm going to claim that as a win.  No need to rush it, I have an IOU for myself to visit the thrift store in search of treasures and cool clothes.

And I did pick up a tasty hibachi shrimp meal for the first time in too long.  Mmm, shrimp <3  (mmm, properly seasoned cooking :o)
I went in there wearing this prank-gift otaku shirt, which gave me an embarrassed giggle fit when I got back home and realized.  Could have been worse though, as googling "otaku shirt" reminds me :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #195798 on: April 24, 2021, 07:37:50 am »

Happy Birthday Rolan!
Love, scriver~

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195799 on: April 24, 2021, 08:11:03 am »

I finally started a journal

This is certainly the best gift to yourself! I have also been thinking about starting a journal, and now you're reminding me to actually do it...

By the way, happy new year of life!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #195800 on: April 24, 2021, 09:03:57 am »

You know, I've been recording my sadness in a journal for almost 2 years now (wait, really?), but I wonder if I should start writing about my happiness as well, motivated by Rolan's Happy here. All I feel when I re-read those early, unhealthy, paranoid entries is pity. Pity for someone who clearly needed help. Someone who was struggling. Someone who seemed haunted by their inner demons. I find it really hard to believe that was me, but that's the truth.

I think it's time I try to document my happiness as well, so that future-me can honestly say, "See, it wasn't all that bad!" when I look back on today's events another 2 years down the line. I don't think it's right that it's all doom and gloom in there, not when I'm happier than ever. I timestamp all my entries, but it's not enough to just infer happiness from an absence of sadness.

Oh, and I feel kinda bad for hijacking someone's Happy here, so: Happy birthday, friend! (Wait, do you still want to go by "friend"?)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195801 on: April 24, 2021, 09:26:45 am »

Yeah I love "friend"!  Mostly because of The Public Universal Friend but also because it's more flexible than something like "comrade".  Someone who doesn't like me can address me as "friend" and it takes on a lovely sort of snark/faux-politeness~

I had a flying dream last night!  I was visiting a certain art museum but they gave out futuristic tablets.  By holding the tablet over my head it would carry me smoothly and quickly through the air!  But I tilted it a little and ended up gaining quite a bit of altitude.  I was a little worried as I soared over pleasant evergreens, but I trusted the device and was able to glide back down safely.
A lot of other less interesting things happened and I wrote a lot of them down :D

I've always written a lot of things down, both good and bad.  This journal is just a commitment to write a little each day, to make sure I reflect on stuff and get it out.  A lot of entries are going to be really short, other days packed with drama or accomplishments.

Also omigosh my mom and brother are coming down to visit, like, now :O  (With my consent).  We're going to the local Asian Market so I can stock back up on weird pickled vegetables and gluten chunks and seaweed, and show off all the cool ramen types!  And we're also supposedly eating at a buffet but I don't know about that we'll see.  And visiting the thrift store!!  I was going to do that anyway but now I get to do it with them!

...okay gonna just copy paste a bunch of that in my journal where it belongs but eee I'm just excited :D
And thanks Yellow Pixel and scriver and methyl!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195802 on: April 24, 2021, 10:07:50 am »

Yeah, Happy belated Birthday, Rolan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #195803 on: April 24, 2021, 10:20:23 am »

If i started chronicling my happiness I would just give myself angst over how little I had to write down
Love, scriver~

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195804 on: April 24, 2021, 01:15:26 pm »

But don't you have those teeny day-to-day moments of joy that bring some happiness in life?

Are they really too negligible to be recorded? :-\

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #195805 on: April 24, 2021, 02:16:47 pm »

Quote from: Abd al-Rahman III
"I have now reigned above fifty years in victory or peace; beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honours, power and pleasure, have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. In this situation, I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot: they amount to Fourteen"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #195806 on: April 24, 2021, 02:20:59 pm »

Ninja'd by a way more succinct quote that encapsulates what I'm trying to say.

If i started chronicling my happiness I would just give myself angst over how little I had to write down

It's not a competition. Everyone has their own levels of happiness and sadness, and I think it's fine to have a relatively-low happiness level as long as you're okay. It's not worth it to think of it as a scoring system. Your emotions aren't a speedrun of Donkey Kong, where you're trying to score as high as possible in the shortest amount of time. Even if it was, I'd refer you to Goodhart's Law: "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure."

Everyone processes emotions differently, and saying that any one way of processing it is any better than another one based on how often you write happy stuff in a journal is simply wrong. It's a weird thing to aim for, don't you think? As long as you think you're okay (although external validation of okayness is useful) and you're content with yourself, I see no reason to try and force it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195807 on: April 24, 2021, 03:19:23 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:30:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #195808 on: April 24, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »

Aha! What if we flip that?

If I decided to chronicle my sadness in the past, and I can't find my journal, then I must be ok.  Other explanations...can be ignored!  ;D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195809 on: April 24, 2021, 06:21:58 pm »

fauci-ouchie #2 getto!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 13052 13053 [13054] 13055 13056 ... 13326