Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13049 13050 [13051] 13052 13053 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15849476 times)

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195750 on: April 14, 2021, 11:29:11 am »

Tiny!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #195751 on: April 14, 2021, 01:15:38 pm »

I don’t think cats are good for weighing things oh you mean size comparison never mind.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #195752 on: April 14, 2021, 01:30:21 pm »

Happy Birthday!
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #195753 on: April 14, 2021, 03:48:17 pm »

That must be the most solid egg I've ever seen anyone lay on a cat.

Also, happy birthday LB!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #195754 on: April 15, 2021, 10:42:48 pm »

I broke down and installed SoX to be able to apply some primitive form of companding (compressor-expander pair) just so that my databent audio won't sound like the quantized screams of the damned (the damned being the bits shaved off during bit depth reduction). It's about that project of mine to interpret audio as video and back, for reference.

After bashing my head against the frankly obtuse manual, I came up with this primitive construction. It's definitely caveman-era (a transfer function that's literally a single line segment? Hah!), but it's gotten the dynamic range of the output file up to an acceptable level. It seems to work by sheer coincidence.

Code: [Select]
sox foo.flac -b 8 foo-compressed.wav compand 0.3,0.8 6:−60,-10 −5 gain -n -1
sox foo-compressed.wav -b 24 foo-expanded.flac compand 0.3,0.8 6:−10,-60 −5 gain -n -1
And I'll probably do some experiments on the attack, release, and output gain parameters to determine the best settings for my stuff, but I think I've basically gotten the basic idea down.

I love having my cake and eating it too; retaining an 8-bit PCM input (since video codecs work in 8-bit color-component chunks by default), yet still having enough dynamic range to work with at the end. I'm ready to rewrite my script to include SoX in the chain. The processing chain in my head looks like:

Original FLAC -> Use SoX to compress, reduce bit depth to 8-bit -> Use FFmpeg to interpret as raw video, encode with codec -> Decode encoded video back to raw data -> Use SoX to expand, increase bit depth to 24-bit for output file
Which I think is the pinnacle of working around your problems. It's so much of a hack. It's beautiful!

I can already imagine the infomercial: "Tired of having too little dynamic range in your audio, but still need to work with low bit depths? Use companding! With companding, your audio goes from this: [digital screams of the damned], to this: [perfectly-normal classical music]! Act now! (...)"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195755 on: April 16, 2021, 12:47:46 am »

Feeling a bit better today. I really dig Persona 4.

(Note that there's some homophobic/transphobic treatment of an apparently gay and an apparently trans cast member, but I'm frankly just happy enough to be able to have a party with two LGBT people in it that I don't really care).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195756 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:30 am »

Passed my exams let's fucking go!
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #195757 on: April 16, 2021, 08:12:04 am »

My supervisor called my essay superb and excellent :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195758 on: April 16, 2021, 09:49:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:36:33 am by JoshuaFH »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195759 on: April 16, 2021, 11:15:04 am »

Feeling a bit better today. I really dig Persona 4.

(Note that there's some homophobic/transphobic treatment of an apparently gay and an apparently trans cast member, but I'm frankly just happy enough to be able to have a party with two LGBT people in it that I don't really care).

I remember recently noticing Twisted Metal Black was oddly forward for 2001.  Had both a lesbian character and an autistic one.

I mean, every character's some sort of criminal/person in an insane asylum, but still...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195760 on: April 16, 2021, 11:34:29 am »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #195761 on: April 16, 2021, 12:07:08 pm »

I really like that character you're talking about Vector (plus another one later), but I won't say anything.

Last year I played P1 and P2 Innocent Sin on PSP and they were excellent. I'm looking forward to the English patch of PSP Eternal Punishment as the PS1 original release of EP here is...somewhat lacking. P4 was my favorite for the modern ones though yeah. I just prefer the more mainline feel of P1 and P2. Having played every mainline game I'm looking forward to SMTV as well.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195762 on: April 17, 2021, 01:07:33 am »

Completely unrelated to what everyone else is talking about I have finally been given the item I've been waiting almost two years for my uncle to finally remember to bring with him, a Betamax player!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195763 on: April 17, 2021, 10:12:43 am »

I managed to pack squeeze crush Live and Learn from Sa2 into a couple of violins and a saxophone in FFXIV lol.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195764 on: April 17, 2021, 12:59:55 pm »

I really like that character you're talking about Vector (plus another one later), but I won't say anything.

Last year I played P1 and P2 Innocent Sin on PSP and they were excellent. I'm looking forward to the English patch of PSP Eternal Punishment as the PS1 original release of EP here is...somewhat lacking. P4 was my favorite for the modern ones though yeah. I just prefer the more mainline feel of P1 and P2. Having played every mainline game I'm looking forward to SMTV as well.

Interesting, I tried P1 and P2 a long time ago and didn't really like them. I really like the idea of psychologizing the enemy monsters into joining you, but P4G is scratching an itch that hasn't had any care and feeding since ... oh, idk, my last runthrough of FFIX like 10 years ago. I really want to play P5R when it comes out for PC.

Pages: 1 ... 13049 13050 [13051] 13052 13053 ... 13326