Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13038 13039 [13040] 13041 13042 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15845575 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195585 on: March 28, 2021, 12:02:37 pm »

The one thing I hate about the Yakuza series is how much it has ruined other open world games for me.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima are games I should be enjoying, but just the complete lack of variety in non-main quest stuff just turns me off.

Sounds like we reached the same conclusion, just from different perspectives.

You know what, it's kind of a mean game that doesn't want people to like it unless they're really into the core mechanics.

That's the impression I got from Sekiro as well, that it's just a mean game.

Almost all spoken dialogue can be described as "Extremely serious and sober people speaking their lines at eachother in order to give the player the bare minimum amount of information they need."; it just belies an absence of a sense of humor, like the game was written by self-serious edgelords.

I can dig stealth, but here it seems that stealth is required in a lot of situations, as enemies are very mean and are hungry to dogpile onto you at the slightest mistake. I mean, yeah, that's the smart thing to do if there's an intruder you've found, but ideally I'd want fighting groups to be as fun as sneaking and fighting solo, that's just not the case as the enemies are programmed to fight like assholes.

I was also very disheartened when I THOUGHT I was being clever one time, as just outside the Flaming Bull's arena there's two guards talking about "The bull disregarding friend from foe." and I thought this was my clue as to how to fight it. So what I did was aggro as many enemies in the zone as possible, which includes two big hammer guys that I thought would make great unwitting allies, and lure them into the Bull's boss arena, believing that once the Bull is loose they'd all gang up on it and help me fight it, or atleast help distract it... cue the Bull AND enemies completely ignoring eachother to try to gang up on me and me alone. Talk about asshole game design; if you're not fighting the boss 1v1 in the way the devs intended, I guess you can go fuck yourself.

Oh yeah, and the boss fight just, you know, starts once you're in a certain proximity. This contradicts the Souls boss design I know and love, where the boss is behind a fog door, and will wait for you to prepare and go fight it. Here in Sekiro though, too bad, you should've been ready and any money you lose as a result of entering this boss fight unprepared is just too bad so sad. Money is not nearly as important as souls are in the Souls games, but it still feels rude to just get kicked in the nuts and have my money stolen from me, with no way to get it back besides grinding for it. I would say that that's Mean Game Design as well.

There's also the actual absence of ways to practice against hard enemies in any safe way. You have a immortal training dummy-man, but he's a peon and barely any help at all because he doesn't emulate the harder AI's weapons and movesets. If Wolf could survive more than two hits, it'd be a different story, but he can't, and his health upgrades only just barely keep up with the increasing damage the enemies are doing, so it always feels like you're playing a character with glass bones and paper skin, so it's very hard to get in anything resembling good practice against a tough enemy before he just kills you; and then you need to go through the 10+ smaller enemies all over again just to set up the area and fight him again, just to repeat the process. That feels very mean from the game designers.

Oh yeah, and enemies that just suicide bomb into you like they're Sengoku-era Al-Qaeda. That's mean game design in a game that is purportedly about skillful swordsmanship.

There's like one audio track that plays when in combat, and it plays in basically all circumstances. When I stealth kill someone, it plays the same music as if I've been discovered by everyone. This track includes a horn that it *sounds* like someone is blowing to alert everyone for miles around, but in reality I stealth killed someone so the music is just playing this spazzy music for a few seconds before returning to stealth music. That's not mean game design, it's just really irritating.

SO yeah, I was very miffed about a lot of things in the game. It really does feel like the game was made to be a love letter to the specific kind of toxic Souls-player that bragged about 'gitting gud' and being a tryhard and never using summons or cheese strats. Only here, it's like the self-imposed challenges from the Souls' games are now mandatory.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 12:06:01 pm by JoshuaFH »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195586 on: March 28, 2021, 12:39:51 pm »

All your newfangled open world games and I'm over here enjoying the utter jank of Morrowind.

Have you tried Daggerfall? It's a lot more in-depth, but the world outside of cities/dungeons doesn't really exist. Morrowind fixed some stuff, but also dumbed the game down probably too much.

Daggerfall seems mostly about crawing the near-infinite dungeons it has, but also there's a significant chance those dungeons don't actually function correctly.  You won't know until you're a mile into the dungeon if it wants to work or not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #195587 on: March 28, 2021, 12:44:52 pm »

Ahhh Daggerfall.

nothing like the pastime of living in a dungeon for several weeks of gametime while you spend hours realtime looking for the one orc that talked smack about the guildmaster's mother.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #195588 on: March 28, 2021, 04:18:24 pm »

daggerfall sucks in the best way possible, i think. the ideal intersection of vintage game jank & in depth mechanics. i will say that even if the dungeons suck to navigate, i do still really like the late-80s-to-mid-90s fantasy aesthetic they adopt, it's a lot more appealing to me than the more modern look of dungeons in the newer TES games that are generally, like, craggy caves or oddly well lit tombs or what have you

thought i'd check up on the old forum today, glad to see you all seem to be doing alright. i've noticed some familiar faces with new names which is neat to see. also decided to change up my avatar a little bit, i'd been sitting on the bug guy from the metroid 1 manual for like two years
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #195589 on: March 29, 2021, 03:59:57 am »

After several treatments that did not work even a little bit, the latest one is super effective. A tumor in my arm went from the size of a softball to barely noticeable over the course of a few days. I'm cautiously optimistic, but that's still optimistic in my book.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195590 on: March 29, 2021, 11:38:07 am »

Managed to put up the fence by myself in high wind even tho I smashed my hand with the hammer a lot of times. And the mothership is getting outta hospital today. Let's clean away these beercans and make a guise of a normal person again.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #195591 on: March 29, 2021, 11:58:10 am »

Glad to hear things are getting a bit better, Caz!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195592 on: March 29, 2021, 12:00:04 pm »

Glad to hear things are getting a bit better, Caz!

Cheers dude. I'm eventually gonna hand you a draft of a mafia game if that's ok.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195593 on: March 29, 2021, 12:02:03 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:04:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #195594 on: March 29, 2021, 12:13:54 pm »

Managed to put up the fence by myself in high wind even tho I smashed my hand with the hammer a lot of times. And the mothership is getting outta hospital today. Let's clean away these beercans and make a guise of a normal person again.
The mothership lol.

At least that sounds better than 'they released my mother's hip from hospital'. Hope she recovers well.

EDIT: Also, Homeworld memories.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #195595 on: March 29, 2021, 12:26:13 pm »

Glad to hear it, Caz!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #195596 on: March 29, 2021, 05:44:11 pm »

Finally got the cash to upgrade my mid-range grey box to an upper-mid-range grey & tempered glass box. After a brief snag with a bad RTX 3070 I'm now up and running with too many RGB lights for my taste.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #195597 on: March 29, 2021, 09:02:13 pm »

Congrats! I don't get the RGB fad either, but it's pretty much unavoidable at this point. Gonna leverage that muscle against something in particular?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #195598 on: March 29, 2021, 09:31:07 pm »

It's easy to turn off, but it's also easy to have your comptuer emit a calm purple glow.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #195599 on: March 29, 2021, 09:38:27 pm »

Honestly what's bothering me more than the RGBs is the tempered glass side panel reflecting my monitor. Still small beans compared to my old case which came fucking riveted shut, having a four-screw-removal side is a godsend.

Congrats! I don't get the RGB fad either, but it's pretty much unavoidable at this point. Gonna leverage that muscle against something in particular?

I was halfway tempted to crack a joke about seeing if it can run Crysis. Realistically though, playing games that didn't need half the power that I had before, kek. Gonna be interesting to see if I can get STALKER: Anomaly to run completely stutter-free now though.

Also, yeah, heads up to anyone else looking to upgrade. Apparently the whole RTX 30 series has been having a lot of manufacturing problems, people are getting DOA cards left and right (on top of the weight of the things causing pins to snap in transit for people buying assembled rigs).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 13038 13039 [13040] 13041 13042 ... 13326