Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13037 13038 [13039] 13040 13041 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15844925 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195570 on: March 27, 2021, 04:54:38 pm »

I beat all 100 phases of Wrecking Crew (NES). Phase 95 is a special kind of hell.

Stumbled across a different solution that requires less skill, involving standing in a pixel-perfect spot to trick the gatchawrench into moving away from Mario instead of towards. This lets you avoid the fireball easily.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 05:17:45 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #195571 on: March 27, 2021, 06:22:35 pm »

is it the E E E E E E E E EEEEEE tune

By the wat I'm sorry if this came off as arseish but for context that was literally the first guitar thing they made us play in guitar class ;)

I dont know what this is and i want to know

tinnitus, it's tinnitus

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195572 on: March 27, 2021, 08:23:30 pm »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195574 on: March 27, 2021, 09:04:54 pm »

I had a good day :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195575 on: March 27, 2021, 09:28:43 pm »

That is good. It is a happy thing when good things happen to you.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195577 on: March 28, 2021, 12:03:00 am »

Congratulations on the good day. Each one counts.

---

I just recently got Yakuza 6, after it finally ported to Steam, and while playing it I had the following thoughts:

When the Remastered Editions of 3, 4, and 5 came out on Steam, I happily gobbled them up, but when I was done I realized I played through them too quickly, and there were a couple weeks still until 6 released. Until then I had to see other games behind Yakuza's back, and I have to say I had a revelation. I was playing Sekiro, beating my head against a bull with flaming horns for the 20th time, just getting a headache and wishing for a diversion from this frustration. I so wanted to have Wolf to have some minigames he could go to and blow off steam, like Ninja Mahjong, Samurai Horse Shoe Throwing, Geisha Cabaret, A substory where you have to sneak some Feudal era erotica for the curious young master, just anything that wasn't throwing my corpse at powerful enemies until I finally squeak out a narrow victory.

My revelation being that the minigames in Yakuza make me appreciate its main content that much more, because I'm not being led by the nose from story mission to story mission, with almost no change in theme or tone at all throughout. The side content lets you appreciate the game from many different angles. And I'm only using Sekiro as an example here, the idea applies to any given game, but it is especially apt to me because a game like Sekiro so badly needs a "Pressure Release Valve" built into it, something to do that'll take the player's mind off of their recent failures and let them refresh themselves with a change of pace and tone. The player can always just quit out of the game, but that so often feels like rage quitting and leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and probably other players' mouths as well.

Then when I got sick of Sekiro, I picked up Omori, and fell in love with the extremely funny side content. There's an optional side job where you're a pizza deliver boy, and your boss gives you handwritten directions, and the challenge comes from reading his gawdawful shit handwriting and I just appreciate how awesomely funny this entire little sidequest was. The fact that it was totally optional, nothing at all was steering me towards it, and that it provided a pleasantly surprising change of pace and tone from the 'main content' of the game, was what tickled me silly and elevated my overall opinion of the game.

So yeah, my personal perspective on what constitutes "good game design" has been updated to be very preferential towards minigames and side content. Thanks Yakuza.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195578 on: March 28, 2021, 01:53:33 am »

I, on the other hand, think that Sekiro should do away with all of its tedious game mechanics which aren't stabbing people in giant sprays of blood. Looking for items, upgrading stuff, shops... it's all vestigial.

On another note, Sekiro does have a little bit of design in that direction. The average player will probably hit Chained Ogre, get stuck, and then have the opportunity to go explore the Hirata estate instead. It's not a change in pace or tone, exactly, but it is a change in how much you're getting your face kicked in and you can hone your craft to come back later.
Though yes, there are a lot of points in the game where you really do have no recourse but to go fight the boss who has already killed you a dozen times, without even the ability to grind for levels or lower the difficulty or summon help. You know what, it's kind of a mean game that doesn't want people to like it unless they're really into the core mechanics.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195579 on: March 28, 2021, 03:40:45 am »

My excuse is that I have nothing better to do at night.
So did you get glasses?
Nope, already have them and never wear them.

Also what brought that question up?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #195580 on: March 28, 2021, 09:16:34 am »

The one thing I hate about the Yakuza series is how much it has ruined other open world games for me.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima are games I should be enjoying, but just the complete lack of variety in non-main quest stuff just turns me off. That and nobody seems to know how to make stealth actually fun and interesting anymore, outside of Hitman.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195581 on: March 28, 2021, 10:09:20 am »

All your newfangled open world games and I'm over here enjoying the utter jank of Morrowind.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195582 on: March 28, 2021, 10:44:28 am »

Almost lost my wallet at the laundromat. A nice young man found it and returned it to me before I even knew it was gone. Of course, nothing was missing, and my mom and I passed him a few dollars as thanks.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #195583 on: March 28, 2021, 11:27:14 am »

Morrowind is pure brilliance, though, and the relative ease of nicking things out of the world and putting them back in makes it REALLY REALLY fun to murder-hobo your way into someone's mansion (or use a modded one) and bedeck it with literally every candle and skull you can grab from the world. I think I only put my last run down because the food/drink mod scripts stopped working and took out every other script with them once they did.

Try putting more than three coins together on a table in Skyrim and the house explodes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195584 on: March 28, 2021, 11:58:06 am »

All your newfangled open world games and I'm over here enjoying the utter jank of Morrowind.

Have you tried Daggerfall? It's a lot more in-depth, but the world outside of cities/dungeons doesn't really exist. Morrowind fixed some stuff, but also dumbed the game down probably too much.
Pages: 1 ... 13037 13038 [13039] 13040 13041 ... 13326