Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12863 12864 [12865] 12866 12867 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15874383 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FBK]🍔 BIG FUBUKING HAMBAHGA 🍔(Happy thread)
« Reply #192960 on: April 27, 2020, 05:16:56 pm »

Fun(read; sad, depressing) fact; if you go to the Midwestern US like Iowa and ask for a hamburger, or you will be served slices of cold deli cut ham on a hamburger bun. You have to ask for a cheeseburger, no cheese, if you want a real hamburger without cheese.

Because midwesterners are culinary (among other forms of) heretics and should never be allowed in a kitchen.
i was referring to this. I was saying that this is false. Should’ve quoted it in my post

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192961 on: April 27, 2020, 05:32:34 pm »

As a northern neighbor, I'm puzzled by it as well.  I've literally never heard of that before, and I've lived in the American Midwest all my life.  A hamburger is a ground beef patty with various toppings (most commonly cheese, the "cheeseburger") between two buns.  As far as I know, that's the American standard hamburger, as contrasted with what some other countries would call a "hamburger" and an American would call a "hamburg steak," "hamburger steak," or just a hamburger without buns, which (as indicated by the last) ditches the buns.  Maybe someone was having a joke at his expense, giving him a ham sandwich and calling it a hamburger?

EDIT:
That said, I won't deny the charge of culinary heresy in that I (only semi-jokingly) repeat the old joke about ketchup being a spice fairly regularly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:36:15 pm by Culise »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192962 on: April 27, 2020, 05:36:32 pm »

Yo Virginia has a whole culinary branch based on ham slices on a bun. Commonly called ham biscuits in my area.

People are serious about them.
Cold-cut biscuits are still biscuits, but they ain't burgers.  Culise has it right.

Edit: Ketchup is obviously a spice.
But is it a vegetable?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192963 on: April 27, 2020, 05:41:31 pm »

Ketchup contains both the juice and the flesh of the tomato fruit, using sugars and vinegar as preservatives.  It is therefore a jam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192964 on: April 27, 2020, 05:54:37 pm »

Not at all. It does not have the texture/consistency of a jam. It is a fruit paste.
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #192965 on: April 27, 2020, 06:03:17 pm »

Tomato is a vegetable, unless you're willing to accept that bell peppers and squash are fruit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:07:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192966 on: April 27, 2020, 06:04:12 pm »

Tomato is a vegetable, unless you're willing to accept that bell peppers and squash are fruit.
NEVER
And yet peppers and squash aren't juicy.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192967 on: April 27, 2020, 06:05:48 pm »

bell peppers and squash are fruits, as are tomatoes. Fruits are the part of the plant that contains the seeds. The ovules of the plant. Vegetable can refer to numerous different plant parts. Fruit has a botanical definition, so why not use the word fruit to describe that part?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #192968 on: April 27, 2020, 06:06:04 pm »

I could maybe sort of consider squash a - AUGH NOOO ROLAN DON'T KILL M-

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #192969 on: April 27, 2020, 06:09:12 pm »

Also string beans.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192970 on: April 27, 2020, 06:09:49 pm »

I mean, they are.  So are cucumbers and beans.  What really gets things going is when you realize that tomatoes are also berries, like bananas and eggplants, and unlike strawberries.

bell peppers and squash are fruits, as are tomatoes. Fruits are the part of the plant that contains the seeds. The ovules of the plant. Vegetable can refer to numerous different plant parts. Fruit has a botanical definition, so why not use the word fruit to describe that part?
Because the culinary definitions also have value for culinary purposes, where taste and texture matter more than which parts of the plant comprise the collective fruit.  The only problem is when people start using definitions from one context to refer to the other one as though it's clever and tricky to spark arguments in this manner, like I did above. ^_^

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #192971 on: April 27, 2020, 06:11:04 pm »

I mean, they are.  So are cucumbers and beans.  What really gets things going is when you realize that tomatoes are also berries, like bananas and eggplants, and unlike strawberries.

Because the culinary definitions also have value for culinary purposes, where taste and texture matter more than which parts of the plant comprise the collective fruit.  The only problem is when people start using definitions from one context to refer to the other one as though it's clever and tricky to spark arguments in this manner, like I did above. ^_^

There's an xkcd about that, you know. It ends with someone's hand getting chopped off.

There's an xkcd for everything.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192972 on: April 27, 2020, 06:14:10 pm »

There's an xkcd about that, you know. It ends with someone's hand getting chopped off.

https://xkcd.com/169/
She/they

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192973 on: April 27, 2020, 06:20:09 pm »

True. In my defense, I meant it as a joke. 

Well, even if, per scriver's comment, I have seen some very...ah, inconsistent jams.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #192974 on: April 27, 2020, 06:20:37 pm »

Further astrophotography experiments. Sky conditions not ideal: shooting through breaks in cloud cover.

I managed a degree of success with Venus, but I still don't get the moon quite right (I got a clearer image with my cell shooting through the telescope)

Venus
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Moon

If you look closely at Venus you can notice the crescent shape, due to it's current phase.

I think you can sort of tell the color in the first pic too, but unsure
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 12863 12864 [12865] 12866 12867 ... 13326