Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778731 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread
« Reply #405 on: October 03, 2009, 09:47:22 am »

I'm happy because I won a Go tournament today.  Most players were weaker than me and were given a handicap, but I did manage to beat a 4 dan player!

...With 9 stones headstart and 90 points given to me.  If you aren't familiar with Go, this is like having both arms tied behind your back and getting blindfolded in boxing.  Never mind, I still won :P.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 03, 2009, 10:14:35 am »

So HE was blindfolded or YOU were blindfolded?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2009, 10:21:54 am »

If I could beat a 4 dan player with 9 stones handicap and 90 points against me... I'd probably be far better than the world champion.  So no, it was the equivalent of him being blindfolded :P.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2009, 11:57:06 am »

Know any decent single-player-vs-computer Go programs? I'm interested in the game, but want to learn how to play from more than an online tutorial. Mostly need to practice.

Also, SGU: saw it last night. Was fairly decent, but I believe that it would be better for a micro-mmo (person hosts persistant server for self and small group) without the stargate theme, also free, and little storyline.
Eh?
Eh!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:15 am »

If I could beat a 4 dan player with 9 stones handicap and 90 points against me... I'd probably be far better than the world champion.  So no, it was the equivalent of him being blindfolded :P.

What's a 4 dan player anyhow?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 03, 2009, 12:10:38 pm »

Well, in Go you start off at about 50-kyu, and gradually work your way down to 1-kyu as you get better (I'm about 16-kyu).  When you get to 0-kyu, you start working upwards through -dan instead.  So... basically a 4-dan player is very good, and probably the best player I'm ever going to play.

It's a measure of ability rather than anything else, and you don't need to pass a test or anything to go up (although if you put yourself too high you'll find yourself losing a lot :P).  I think the highest you can go is 10-dan, but you have to be the reigning world champion to have that.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 03, 2009, 12:13:55 pm »

I understood absolutely nothing of that.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 03, 2009, 12:18:52 pm »

Easy version:

I play a boardgame called Go.  I beat someone a lot better than me using a handicap.  Yay.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #413 on: October 03, 2009, 12:22:40 pm »

But do you know a decent way to play it on a computer without joining an online server, or getting a friend to play against you?
Eh?
Eh!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 03, 2009, 12:34:27 pm »

Um... there are some programs.  I have Go++, which is a fairly cheap CD one.  There may be some free ones online as well.  Also, if you join an online server like KGS, you may be able to find some bots on there.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 03, 2009, 03:55:44 pm »

Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Angellus

« Reply #416 on: October 03, 2009, 04:03:43 pm »

Seeing my bed is still there, I'll be seeking him out now, g'night.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 03, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »

Played around in Gmod and made some decent turrets, a fort, a mech, a spaceship, some boats, and some planes. Now to get them all together in a battle.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 03, 2009, 07:03:10 pm »

I had a great night that I can't repeat what happened, (NSFW) followed by a great shower in the mornight that I also can't talk about. (NSFW) And I'm literally drooling thinking about what's gonna happen tonight. (Guess how safe for work that is. XD)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 13325