Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788692 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2009, 03:37:05 pm »

Finally I realised that the Philosophy and Ethics course in our school was actually entirely religion based
Bring in Nietzsche, when people argue against his philosipher-ness, bring up proof that he had a PhD (I think) in philosophy. That ought to stir things up, heck, you don't have to attend the class to do it. The few times when I'm able to stick it to the man are happy moments.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2009, 03:40:48 pm »

Actually, I came up with an elaborate plan to come in as a different religion (or possibly even parody religion) each week.  The only thing that each incarnation of me would have in common is the response of "Stop disrespecting my beliefs!" if anyone said it was ridiculous.  With the exception of Nihilist week, where my response would be "You're probably right.  Who cares?"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2009, 04:17:49 pm »

Good luck finding one that isn't like that, at least to an extent, though.  Jesus is to modern ethics as Tolkien is to fantasy; the two subjects wouldn't be the same as they are now without them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2009, 07:18:03 pm »

I have a feeling WorkerDrone and Sofia are competing or something since she has a happy thread and he has an anger thread. Personally I like the anger thread since I am always angry. Anyhow, I was happy today because school went by fast and I angered my French teacher :D.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2009, 07:36:31 pm »

Good luck finding one that isn't like that, at least to an extent, though.  Jesus is to modern ethics as Tolkien is to fantasy; the two subjects wouldn't be the same as they are now without them.
Tolkien had a bigger effect than Jesus.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »

No.  He really didn't.  Pre-Jesus morals were extremely different.  You have no idea.  Imagine all your moral concepts concerning politics, courtship, and friendship, strip them away, and replace them with totally alien concepts that are described with the same names used in your original morals.  Prostitution, even where it is legal, is considered very shady nowadays.  Theology does not affect this view much.  Back in ancient Rome, it was a perfectly acceptable profession, and it was perfectly acceptable for men to adulterate (but not women).

It makes me happy that this is not the case in modern times.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »

I mean in modern times.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2009, 07:51:43 pm »

You could say that about anything.

'Cars have had a bigger impact on morals than Jesus, in modern times.'
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2009, 07:53:16 pm »

Let's not start this.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2009, 07:58:37 pm »

Right.  It's not about the effect on the now (that's absurd, to be frank).  It's on how they affected the course of history.
Just so I remember

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2009, 08:01:36 pm »

Why are you people Jesusing up the happy thread? It does not make me happy :(

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2009, 08:08:43 pm »

Thing(s) that made me happy today...

I'm not dead. That good enough?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2009, 08:27:41 pm »

Sure.
Why are you people Jesusing up the happy thread? It does not make me happy :(
Well, he was real you know, there are historical records and whatnot.  And I'm being entirely secular in this analysis.  And he was probably the first person to preach goodwill to others and all that.  We might not have as much to be happy about without him, as with a large number of historical figures with similar messages (ex:  Martin Luther King, Jr.).  Peace generally means more room happiness, right?  Though, yeah, this might be more appropriate for the peace thread.
Just so I remember

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2009, 08:34:40 pm »

Well, he was real you know, there are historical records and whatnot.
No there aren't. Not contemporary ones, anyway

Mind you, I dont subscribe to the "There was no Jesus At All" school of thought that some people like to throw around. But there are no contemporary historical records proving his existence.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38:00 pm »

I finally got my great helm and cuirass made, and (since the hinging is too complex) my custom fitted gauntlets are coming in tomorrow. They've got minute finger hinges so as to completely cover my hand. I also got the frame put together for my tassets, and the hilt made for my sword. Learning smithy work is fun  :D.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 13325