Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12345 12346 [12347] 12348 12349 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15890906 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [?!?!] What the fuck is tail time (Happy thread)
« Reply #185190 on: April 22, 2018, 12:12:07 pm »

IDK. I had this friend in my hometown who had an insane stereo setup he had installed professionally with speak stacks > 2 meters tall. He'd had some big work accident years before I met him, from which he got a huge payout and got all this cool stuff, including getting a professional to install the mother of all sound systems in his loungeroom.

We downloaded mp3 from the 'net back when everything was just 128 kbps, burnt a CD and put it on his stereo. With his setup, you could close your eyes and you could be fooled that you were at a live concert, the reproduction was that good. And that's just from a CD burnt from downloaded mp3s in the late 1990s. A good amplifier, speakers and equalization makes all the difference in the world, and compression schemes aren't that important overall, as long as you have a bare minimum of bitrate. From this experience, I'd guess that a fair chunk of traditional anti-mp3 bias is because most people heard their mp3s through shitty PC speakers and the like, not good quality stereo systems.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:35:51 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185191 on: April 22, 2018, 12:22:54 pm »

They say vacuum tube amplifiers have sound quality that can't be beat by digital.
^^
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185192 on: April 22, 2018, 07:43:27 pm »

I now have a girlfriend!~

And a damn great one at that! A British transgal, who's as confused and inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships as I am, but we're both trying our best and it's going amazing so far.
Tumblr might be a hellsite, but it's a hellsite that made me (in slightly unconventional circumstances) meet her, so I can't harp on it too hard, I guess.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #185193 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:22 am »

IDK. I had this friend in my hometown who had an insane stereo setup he had installed professionally with speak stacks > 2 meters tall. He'd had some big work accident years before I met him, from which he got a huge payout and got all this cool stuff, including getting a professional to install the mother of all sound systems in his loungeroom.

We downloaded mp3 from the 'net back when everything was just 128 kbps, burnt a CD and put it on his stereo. With his setup, you could close your eyes and you could be fooled that you were at a live concert, the reproduction was that good. And that's just from a CD burnt from downloaded mp3s in the late 1990s. A good amplifier, speakers and equalization makes all the difference in the world, and compression schemes aren't that important overall, as long as you have a bare minimum of bitrate. From this experience, I'd guess that a fair chunk of traditional anti-mp3 bias is because most people heard their mp3s through shitty PC speakers and the like, not good quality stereo systems.

And then of course there's the production quality of the recording.  A perfect FLAC rip over a perfect stereo of a shitty recording will still sound shitty.

There's a lot of factors, and people have differing opinions about what sounds good, too.

Having a good quality copy (vinyl/lossless) just eliminates one potential cause of bad audio.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #185194 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:30 am »

Congratulations to Mesa!

Personal happy: When I was younger I absolutely loved the Percy Jackson book series (not the movies, ugh). Still do, really, though the writing seems more simplistic. Anyway, I recently picked up the sequel series and am reading it. Spoilered in case anyone actually cares.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In retrospect, and as conclusion, I am a total Greek.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185195 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:32 am »

I concur, that was an excellent scene.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185196 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:39 am »

Who are Leo and Percy and what do they have to do with the Odyssee?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185197 on: April 23, 2018, 10:18:10 am »

Having had a look up of what it'd cost to get a full set of leatherworking tools, optional things included, it'd be about £160

Not cheap, but when compared to a blacksmithing intro course (£300) definitely cheap. It also has the advantage of being something I could do in, say, the garage.

But, were I to go ahead with this, I'd rather get back home and see what we have that I could use. I'd be unsurprised to find my dad had some tools that'd make entirely acceptable replacements, given how he accumulated tools on the off-chance he'd use them.

If you're looking for that general kind of hobby, chainmail is very cheap to get started with. The only actual tools you need for butted mail are needlenose pliers.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #185198 on: April 23, 2018, 10:34:51 am »

Who are Leo and Percy and what do they have to do with the Odyssee?
Rick Riordan wrote a series of books for young adults based on Greek mythology. The characters Leo and Percy are the sons of Hephaestus and Poseidon respectively. First Percy, then Leo, find their way to the island of Calypso. Here, like Odysseus, they must leave the heart broken goddess behind to pursue their own quests.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185199 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »

Up till recently I'd have unironically posted this in "mildly sad" at best, but... not this year.  I hate birthdays because I'm afraid of stagnation, but this year was anything but.
Particularly these past few days, frick.  I could tell you a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, but I need to get ready for DND night.  I think we're either going to Ravenloft or the icy tundra above Neverwinter.

If there's a surprise party imma punch someone in the arm
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185200 on: April 23, 2018, 02:57:34 pm »

Quote from: Rolan7
I could tell you a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down

I'll sit right here if you'd like to take a minute.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185201 on: April 23, 2018, 03:25:39 pm »

Having had a look up of what it'd cost to get a full set of leatherworking tools, optional things included, it'd be about £160

Not cheap, but when compared to a blacksmithing intro course (£300) definitely cheap. It also has the advantage of being something I could do in, say, the garage.

But, were I to go ahead with this, I'd rather get back home and see what we have that I could use. I'd be unsurprised to find my dad had some tools that'd make entirely acceptable replacements, given how he accumulated tools on the off-chance he'd use them.

If you're looking for that general kind of hobby, chainmail is very cheap to get started with. The only actual tools you need for butted mail are needlenose pliers.
And the cost of the metal is...?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185202 on: April 23, 2018, 03:38:10 pm »

I finally got motivated to clean up my apartment and do the dishes today. Considering this mundane event only seems to occur at random periods separated by many months of time, yay! I even got the garbage bag that's been sitting in the corner of my apartment for the better part of two years, I completely forgot about it until now.

Perhaps that's just gross and not worth celebrating. Though what convinced me to do so was that my landlord's maintenance crew was stopping by for their twice yearly inspection of the furnace, and I didn't want to perhaps get in trouble by being found out as a squalid trash man. I mean, I didn't get everything, but it was better than nothing, I guess.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185203 on: April 23, 2018, 03:39:37 pm »

Up till recently I'd have unironically posted this in "mildly sad" at best, but... not this year.  I hate birthdays because I'm afraid of stagnation, but this year was anything but.
Particularly these past few days, frick.  I could tell you a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, but I need to get ready for DND night.  I think we're either going to Ravenloft or the icy tundra above Neverwinter.

If there's a surprise party imma punch someone in the arm

Happy birthday Rolan!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185204 on: April 23, 2018, 03:41:47 pm »

I finally got motivated to clean up my apartment and do the dishes today. Considering this mundane event only seems to occur at random periods separated by many months of time, yay! I even got the garbage bag that's been sitting in the corner of my apartment for the better part of two years, I completely forgot about it until now.

Perhaps that's just gross and not worth celebrating. Though what convinced me to do so was that my landlord's maintenance crew was stopping by for their twice yearly inspection of the furnace, and I didn't want to perhaps get in trouble by being found out as a squalid trash man. I mean, I didn't get everything, but it was better than nothing, I guess.

Man look I brought 9 bags to the trash today because our maintenance guys are coming through and we realized we had so much general junk (non-organic trash) and we didn't want him to see it.

It's all good, everyone does it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 12345 12346 [12347] 12348 12349 ... 13326