Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12311 12312 [12313] 12314 12315 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15890497 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: [Wao?!] When all you have is 12 tons of pot noodle... (Happy thread)
« Reply #184680 on: February 16, 2018, 08:03:53 pm »

After a brief scare followed by another brief scare, I have a learner's permit and am on my way to getting a driver's license proper! I can drive, but only if one of my parents supervises me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #184681 on: February 16, 2018, 08:18:50 pm »

Which passage is it? I'm curious, also being a Christian in America.
Chunks of Matthew 6, basically. Most of it, really. It's pretty plainclothes about a great deal of the social aspects most protestant churches in particular, but organized religion in general as well, are effectively driven or sustained by being really poorly advised from a biblical standpoint.

... amusingly enough, it's also the passage of the long form of the friggin' Lord's Prayer but a lot of the time the rest of it seems to get kinda' ignored :V
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:20:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184682 on: February 17, 2018, 03:33:06 am »

Couldn't resist.  I went out and saw Black Panther instead of being responsible adult.

It was good.  The story as a self-contained thing was great.  The drama was powerful.  Loved everything about the presentation.  I felt like it fell short of the hype on its handling of the racial politic themes... like Winter Soldier and Civil War were more complex and profound with their respective themes.  Not that it was bad, and the film itself gets credit just for being what it is.  Just the approach to the subject matter was pretty straightforward is all.  It didn't *engage* in the way that for example Civil War did with the dialogue between Stark and Rogers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #184683 on: February 17, 2018, 08:58:03 am »

So today was a nice report, and I'm in the Masters of Psychology program--I suffered a panic attack during reporting. Cold sweat, visible sweat, loss of words, the usual >_>

And then everyone (because classes were small-sized, that means around 10 or so other people) was nice and cheered me on! :'( My report still wasn't good (at all), but the support and encouragement is just ♥.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #184684 on: February 17, 2018, 09:00:09 am »

Presentations suck, 'tis true. Unless I get myself into a very specific frame of mind, I stutter like hell. Strangely, if I do achieve that state of mind my presentations are my best mark-bringers, but if I don't then they're my worst.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #184685 on: February 17, 2018, 09:12:35 am »

Presentations suck, 'tis true. Unless I get myself into a very specific frame of mind, I stutter like hell. Strangely, if I do achieve that state of mind my presentations are my best mark-bringers, but if I don't then they're my worst.
Best thing: "We all have stage fright too." Also funnily enough, we're an all girl class. \o/

But the support just hit me. :'( It made my day despite me feeling horrible. And grats for you Dwarfy! :D

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #184686 on: February 17, 2018, 12:03:00 pm »

Was reading a book on seventh century Ireland, and the old Irish word Tuatha was used to mean 'people/tribe'. Huh, so that's where Robert Jordan got that. I like finding these small connections.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #184687 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:09 pm »

I may be misremembering slightly, but I believe the Tuatha'De'Dannan or something to that effect are a major group in Celtic stories. The pronunciation is nothing like the one in WoT, though.

Speaking of which, I've started re-reading it after listening to the Blind Guardian WoT album.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #184688 on: February 17, 2018, 03:23:03 pm »

I may be misremembering slightly, but I believe the Tuatha'De'Dannan or something to that effect are a major group in Celtic stories. The pronunciation is nothing like the one in WoT, though.
Yep. The People of Danu, as translated, are a group opposed by the Fomorians that features very prominently in Irish mythology.  They arrive from the sea and drive forth the Fir Bolg, fight the Fomorians, but are themselves ultimately conquered by Milesians (another wave of invaders from the sea) and flee underground into Sidhe hills to become the aes sídhe/aos sí of later tales, though traditionally one refers to them as the Fair Folk instead to avoid drawing their direct attention.  Then again, I'm no mythical expert myself; what I know is mostly passing curiosity about the Sidhe and a bit of Dominions as well. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:29:49 pm by Culise »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #184689 on: February 17, 2018, 05:38:35 pm »

Ooh, looks like I'm going to be watching horror tonight. National tv is broadcasting 'Train to Busan' in a few.
Horror is really rare on national tv nowadays. Used to be flooded with it in the nineties, mostly on BBC, but also on Dutch tv.
Nowadays only commercial channels air horror movies, and usually the bad kind. Sad. It's true.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184690 on: February 17, 2018, 05:41:40 pm »

I watched Train to Busan on Netflix a year or two ago.  Was expecting a throwaway B movie to fall asleep to, but I ended up really liking it.  Wrote a little analysis in the horror thread.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #184691 on: February 18, 2018, 04:44:00 pm »

Just got my second computer screen set up! Finding that monitor in a dumpster was the best thing that's happened to me all year. One of the few good things that's happened to me all year, really...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184692 on: February 18, 2018, 04:48:33 pm »

Dude we're half-way through February. There's plenty of time for good things to happen :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #184693 on: February 18, 2018, 05:20:44 pm »

Look siru, just 'cause poh can't remember the last three months and thought it was still november is no reason to rub it in.

... especially if they've been dumpster diving recently, I guess. Probably good idea to hold off on contact until after a shower or somethin'.

Gratzi on the monitor, though. It a newer one or one of the good ol' half-ton CRT stalwarts?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #184694 on: February 18, 2018, 05:35:02 pm »

A relatively new flat screen one. It's not widescreen, and on the cheaper end, but it works for anything I'd want a second monitor for. Which is basically just playing video games while looking up guides for video games on the other screen.
Pages: 1 ... 12311 12312 [12313] 12314 12315 ... 13326