Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12271 12272 [12273] 12274 12275 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15846142 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: [Ye] Welcome to the bunzone nerd! (Happy thread)
« Reply #184080 on: December 12, 2017, 12:23:02 pm »

Em, yes. He just burned someone's property.

Besides which, this wasn't just any flag. British flags are raised and burned all the time here. This was an historically important flag of indescribable personal value to the family.

My mother in particular is angry at herself for letting him bring it in, but who could have known it would be burned?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #184081 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:54 pm »

I dunno - if some redneck brought a Confederate flag to school and a black student ended up burning that, would you be mad at him as well?

If it was a cheap reproduction that was brought in for racist/shock value, no as much, though I disapprove of people damaging someone else's property in general. If it was a historic Confederate flag brought in to show off the history? Hell yeah, I'd be mad. Actual historic artifacts should be preserved so that we can study and learn from the history.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184082 on: December 12, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »

I dunno - if some redneck brought a Confederate flag to school and a black student ended up burning that, would you be mad at him as well?
Are you for real. A WWII Church of England flag is not the confederate flag and I think you know fully well what sort of fight you want to start with that bullshit. For seconds no one has a right to destroy historical artifacts and family heirlooms that don't belong to them. I'm not going to trash some grandfather's spoils of war because they once belonged to the enemy, it is all the more reason to treasure it. But yeah nah, we need to take some kid's WWII heirloom from the Church of England and set it on fire because the Church of England is confederate rednecks, and we all know rednecks have no rights.

Societies have long sought to protect and preserve their cultural heritage, for reasons ranging from education to historical research to the desire to reinforce a sense of identity. In times of war and conflict, cultural identity and cultural heritage become all the more important. Buildings, monuments and symbols of culture that speak of shared roots acquire an increased significance. Accordingly, they can become targets of violent and oppressive action that seeks to destroy the symbols valued by enemies or the iconography associated with alternative faiths and traditions.
The sheer fucking state of European iconoclasm that they're comparable to ISIS

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #184083 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:02 pm »

My grandfather had the flag of a Cathedral in England which had bullet holes in it. I can't quite remember the story of how he got it, but it was certainly interesting.

My brother brought it into school, and someone burned it. They were Irish, and it was too British  ::) Bastard.

shame that happened. that flag seems rad

speaking of WWII items, my friend in California has a bed frame that's worth a lot of money. The local museum wants it (think they said they would buy it for a million, or something dumb like that). the story behind it is a woman in his family (I think it was great great grandmother, don't remember) wanted to keep the frame but nazis were going to take it and melt it down to make bullets, what ended up happening was in the night that woman sneaked back into the house (the nazis kicked them out) took the bed frame and smuggled it out to america.
my friend refuses to sell it to the museum.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184084 on: December 12, 2017, 01:32:01 pm »

A WWII Church of England flag
I'm not saying it is - but it might well be that from that guy's perspective it's the same deal. "Jesus Christ what a fucking asshole" makes too many implicit assumptions for my taste.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184085 on: December 12, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »

I'm not saying it is - but it might well be that from that guy's perspective it's the same deal. "Jesus Christ what a fucking asshole" makes too many implicit assumptions for my taste.
Burning anybody else's stuff is a fucking asshole move in all contexts.

I at least hope the kid got punched.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184086 on: December 12, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »

Yay, violence.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184087 on: December 12, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »

Yay, violence.
+1

Oh, wait, were you being sarcastic? I couldn't tell because violence is objectively the correct response to someone trying to burn my stuff. And also many other situations, honestly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184088 on: December 12, 2017, 01:41:44 pm »

It bloody well looks like you are saying that. And from that guy's perspective he stole something from his classmate of immense importance to his family, culture and religion, and after stealing it set it on fire, and this is ok because his classmate was an enemy.
Jesus Christ, what a fucking asshole.

Yay, violence.
And you think he burnt religious iconography to make peace? FFS, the world needs less morons who think fire is a substitute for talking.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184089 on: December 12, 2017, 02:13:34 pm »

FFS, the world needs less morons who think fire is a substitute for talking.
He says on the bay 12 forum

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184090 on: December 12, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »

FFS, the world needs less morons who think fire is a substitute for talking.
He says on the bay 12 forum
Magma is completely different!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #184091 on: December 12, 2017, 02:28:38 pm »

Started an RTD for the first time in... I don't know how long.

It makes me feel nice inside.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #184092 on: December 12, 2017, 03:03:53 pm »

Started an RTD for the first time in... I don't know how long.

It makes me feel nice inside.

As someone who's GMing an RTD right now, good luck and have fun!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184093 on: December 12, 2017, 03:11:55 pm »

Yay, violence.
And you think he burnt religious iconography to make peace?
Depending on how and why you do it, bringing divisive symbols into a charged context isn't exactly the Mother Theresa of moves, either. That goes for any side, regardless of who's to blame, if anyone. Tell me, what's more likely to bring about peace and understanding: Analyzing motivations and taking context into account, or jumping to value judgements?
The Bay12 postcard club

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184094 on: December 12, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »

I feel like bringing a historical artifact to a school for the purpose of sharing history is not a charged context? Though the details are unavailable at present.

A school is specifically one of the only places where a divisive symbol could be brought in for the purposes of learning and it should not be divisive.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 12271 12272 [12273] 12274 12275 ... 13326