Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12165 12166 [12167] 12168 12169 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15808247 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Eggplant (Happy thread)
« Reply #182490 on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »

I really dislike the YouTube channel CinemaSins. Excessive negativity and nitpickiness are something of a turn-off for me, especially when it involves things that I enjoy. Especially especially when they basically make crap up. I have a similar issue with "honest trailers".

So today I discovered a younger, lesser-known channel that is much more my speed: CinemaWins. This guy focuses more on the positive and the fanservice-y aspects of different movies, doing a bit of theorycrafting on the sides but nearly always in an optimistic outlook. He's even got videos on some infamously bad films such as The Last Airbender and Pixel, believe it or not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #182491 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »

I think the negativity and nitpicks are for comedic effect, but they can get a bit draining sometimes. I do generally like it, and the negativity makes the parts that are so good as to make him subtract "sins" are more noticeable. That said, I also prefer CinemaWins.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #182492 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:48 pm »

I really dislike the YouTube channel CinemaSins. Excessive negativity and nitpickiness are something of a turn-off for me, especially when it involves things that I enjoy. Especially especially when they basically make crap up. I have a similar issue with "honest trailers".

So today I discovered a younger, lesser-known channel that is much more my speed: CinemaWins. This guy focuses more on the positive and the fanservice-y aspects of different movies, doing a bit of theorycrafting on the sides but nearly always in an optimistic outlook. He's even got videos on some infamously bad films such as The Last Airbender and Pixel, believe it or not.
Yeah, I see things like "Everything wrong with Mad Max: Fury Road" and I'm just like, I'm very interested in that movie but I'm not going to click that link.  I *know* going to be shit like "the two car bodies fused on top of each other could never work in real life!"  And its just like, yeah... its called suspension of disbelief.

(disclaimer: I actually didn't click that link when I saw it, so I have no idea what the actual wrongness was)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182493 on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:44 pm »

I sort of like CinemaSins but exclusively for shit I know is bad and even then some of the good movies he reviews turn out fine in the end

But, lately, I've got that same feeling with ZeroPunctuation. It's funny and all but sometimes honestly it just feels like he accentuates the negatives so much that a game that is genuinely not that bad gets cast in a light that implies it's shlock

that bothers me
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182494 on: August 01, 2017, 09:12:17 pm »

"we're not critics, we're assholes"

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182495 on: August 01, 2017, 09:20:19 pm »

I value critics and reviewers and of course like anyone with a brain I understand that it's a subjective review 99% of the time which points out some objectives that you need to address

But like

When all you do in your review is talk about negatives for a game it just doesn't really sit well with me, even if its a bad game
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182496 on: August 01, 2017, 09:29:02 pm »

that quote was from cinemasins, they know they are being assholes, thats the point.

Something that makes me happy: Someone used the doom engine to make a sonic game, in 1998, and it's still being updated.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #182497 on: August 02, 2017, 09:40:51 am »

"we're not critics, we're assholes"

And as a fellow asshole, I kind of like those guys.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #182498 on: August 02, 2017, 11:03:58 am »

Boy do I have a thing for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeRePDOMtTQ Bob makes videos where he talks about everything wrong with Cinema Sins videos.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #182499 on: August 02, 2017, 11:45:08 am »

Boy do I have a thing for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeRePDOMtTQ Bob makes videos where he talks about everything wrong with Cinema Sins videos.
Oh boy...

Next up: Everything Wrong With "Everything Wrong With 'Everything Wrong With Captain America: Civil War'"

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #182500 on: August 02, 2017, 01:52:04 pm »

There's also the occasional catgirl character with cat ears where the human ears would normally be. those make the most sense.
Could you give an example of that? I'm not sure I've seen it before. I'd think that would make them look more like some kind of elf or something than like a cat. Horizontal pointy ears are a different aesthetic than vertical pointy ears.
The only one I personally, but only vaguely remember was...ah, found something.  Dunno how elf-like you find it; most elves I see seem to have either shorter "Vulcan-style" ears or Lodoss-style longer ears swept back at 45° off vertical.

EDIT: Ah, that's it. The source was Utawarerumono.  Sorry, it's one of those games I looked up back when I was still following translation groups like mirror moon but didn't really play, and my memory's not always that great even under proper circumstances.  Good heavens, but that was almost 10 years ago now; no wonder it was a bare recollection. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:59:13 pm by Culise »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #182501 on: August 02, 2017, 02:28:47 pm »

*shrug* I like CinemaSins.  Conversely, while I´ve not watched CinemaWins... it doesnt sound too appealing.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182502 on: August 02, 2017, 02:34:36 pm »

Negativity about negativity? No thank ye :P

Yeah I guess I'm kinda doing the same thing, complaining about people being assholes (their word, not mine), but it feels different so there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #182503 on: August 02, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »

Hatedoms are obnoxious.  Like a thing or ignore it, don't spend so much time enjoying hating it.  Even with stuff like the Avatar live action movie there's a difference between watching it ironically once and building a whole community around hating it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #182504 on: August 02, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »

But Bob brings up some legitimately good points against CinemaSins, though admittedly he undermines himself since he manages to get a little obnoxious with his rebuttals, but the rest of his counters are so effective and well-sourced (especially in the Last of Us video) that it cancels the bad stuff out for me. I don't see it as venemous hatred, I see it as clever deconstruction of CinemaSins, who I see as robotically developing bland, clickbait-ey videos full of shallow non-criticisms.

That's a nice picture.

Makes me think, though. Why do catgirls have their ears on the top of their heads? Are they functional or his decorative? Do they have human ears too where their ears should be? Maybe just seal-like ear holes?

Do the cat ears not push the head band down?
Thank you! Unless you mean the one I didn't draw, in which case: yes I love it and I love that you like it!

I had that same thought too when I was drawing, which is why I went with the long hair. If I did another one, I'd make the ears sitting more on the sides of the head so there isn't a creepy blank patch of skin where the human ears were.

I'm not sure what you mean and curious what you were trying to get across.
Pages: 1 ... 12165 12166 [12167] 12168 12169 ... 13326